Root the Kindle Fire HD 7

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
First things first. If you bought a 7-inch Kindle Fire HD to hack, you're doing it wrong. Send it back and buy a Nexus 7. Having said that, here's what to do if you wanna do it anyway. Be warned that it's pretty easy for Amazon to check for root and block services.

If you're using Windows, install the adb driver.
Amazon has really good instructions for manually installing the Kindle Fire H adb driver for Windows through the SDK manager. Read them.
If you're not feeling all that, you can grab the package that method downloads and manually install it. Download it here. I just sucked them out of the SDK folder after the SDK manager downloaded them. These files are direct from Amazon.

Install using either method, then reboot your computer. Then download the attachment to this post, and extract it to a folder on your computer somewhere easy to get to.

Use the cable that came with the Fire (I had mixed luck with others). Connect the fire to the computer, then go into settings (+more in the notification shade) and choose Security, then enable adb.
Open the command prompt, and enter the following:
Code:
adb shell
rmdir /data/local/tmp
[FONT=Roboto][COLOR=#282828]ln -s /data/ /data/local/tmp
exit[/COLOR][/FONT]

That deletes the local temp file, and replaces it with a symbolic link to the entire data folder. Next you need to reboot
Code:
adb reboot

When it comes back up (it will be slow and choppy), enter:
Code:
adb shell
echo 'ro.kernel.quemu=1' > /data/local.prop
[FONT=Roboto][COLOR=#282828]exit[/COLOR][/FONT]

then reboot again
Code:
adb reboot

Now mount things with your new shell root, and push the su binary over. Note that you will need the full path to wherever you placed the attached files.
Code:
adb shell mount -o remount,rw /system
adb push su /system/xbin/su
adb shell
chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su
chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su
rm /data/local.prop
exit

reboot one last time
Code:
adb reboot

now sideload the Superuser.apk file. Substitute the real path to the Superuser.apk you downloaded from the attachement.
Code:
adb install Superuser.apk

That's it. you're rooted. Thank SparkyM next time you see him!

Attachments

• KINDLEROOT.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 624

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Jerry,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, then not source back to it after republishing on another blog/forum.

This is the SECOND time Android Central staff have done this specifically to me.

Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7 Already Rooted, Here's How To Do It

jcase
TeamAndIRc
This method was told to me directly on Google+, with no mention of your name. All I had to do was fix the directions slightly, as /data/local/tmp is a directory on my device and needs the rmdir command. As pointed out, it's all Sparky's work. I recognized this and was sure to credit him here and on the blog via his XDA profile.

jcase

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Mtn Scott, actually i spent hours auditing the firmware, only to notice their failure to patch an old vuln prior to releasing a new root. I didnt copy paste anything, i credited sparky for first finding the vuln.

This isnt the first time AC staff copied something I have posted, hence my anger.

---------- Post Merged at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Ok,sorry about being angry. G.plus user copy pasted what i wrote without linking back, i assume you will source the post properly now?

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
after getting the drivers installed and working all went as planned.

thanks the ALL INVOLVED for getting and testing this.

IMG_20120917_202619.jpg

anon(951157)

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Not having any luck performing the remount of the /system filesystem as read-write, any ideas?

Code:
# adb shell mount -o remount,rw /system
mount: Operation not permitted
# adb shell
shell@android:/ $ mount -o remount,rw /system
mount: Operation not permitted
$ adb push su /system/xbin/su
failed to copy 'su' to '/system/xbin/su': Read-only file system

anon(951157)

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Well no idea what is different this time, but I went through the procedure from start to finish 4x and on the fourth try, it remounted fine... Installed root and working!

pdavidmullinsjr

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
The Amazon instructions for installing the ADB drivers say that I should see Kindle Fire -> ADB Composite USB Device in Device Manager, but all I see is Portable Devices -> Kindle. Then, not surprisingly, "adb devices" cannot see the attached Kindle Fire HD. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? FYI, I am very new to Android, so go easy on me. :)

Thanks in advance.

Spam Box

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I cant get it to work. I keep getting permission denied or operation denied. I get it already when wanting to mount rw or push some files.

webbie2

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Go to visit android cowboy. Com his instructions are way easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

violetwren

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I JUST had my new Kindle Fire HD (7") stolen. OF COURSE, nothing was password protected, but within an hour of realizing it was missing, I changed all my passwords to email, Amazon, Audible, etc. and removed account information from Amazon. The next morning, I also reported it stolen to Amazon and they "de-registered" it and listed it as stolen. Can the thief register or use my Kindle by "rooting" it? {I'm hoping by now that it's just a fancy paperweight to the thief}. And if the police do happen to recover it, will Amazon allow me to re-register it?? Thanks for your help!

iAmPhil

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Question: I plan to root my 2014 kindle fire hd7 the day the warranty is up. If I run straight up Android will Amazon be able to reset the device at a later time and undo all my hard work? I like the device, just not the OS.

Sent from my KFASWI using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon