Noob Help With Sideloading

dougie_fresh80

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Got my first smartphone last week (motorola droid razr m) and jist bought a fire hd tonight.

love the fire, except the amazon app store is weak. I want...

A decent keyboard like swipe
dolphin browser and jetpack
some random site specific apps

so what can one sideload, and how?

oh, and a friggin flash player would be helpful!

Amazon, just put full android on here and let us use our google toys!

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Then honestly, you bought the wrong device.

Read about rooting your, KFHD as just about everything you are asking to do is related to having root access. (play store, custom keyboard)

Even if you do root and get your gapps, KFHD is nothing but a gimped android device. If you like the Amazon ecosystem, then it might work for you.

Do a internet search for the dolphin browser apk, android apps come in apk format. Just use your discretion where you download from.

I returned my KFHD for the N7. I get my google toys out of the box :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dougie_fresh80

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I was gonna get the M7, but keep reading horror stories that they break a lot, have screen issues, and horrible support. The KFHD will do all i want it to, I just hate being locked out of stuff. The wonderful screen and speakers is what sold me.

Thanks anyway.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully the bootloader will be cracked someday and you can put custom roms on there but I wouldn't count on it being soon. As long as it does what you want and can deal with the Amazon eco system. Not going to lie, the KFHD has an awesome screen and sound. Only reason why I'd keep it if I had the change.

You can also put on a custom launcher. ADW launcher ex works out of the box without root. That can give you a more android feel however it will not set your home button. It will still take you to the Amazon launcher but you can just shortcut back to ADW. Launcher default can only be changed if rooted, however you need to be careful as its very easy to brick your device with no known recovery right now if you botch something up with root access. Rooting itself should be easy on its own, there are walk throughs and I believe automated kits.

N7 horror stories are just that. Everyone with problems will come to a forum to voice their displeasure but you have to consider how many units are out there that people are happy with. Possibilities are always out there, but mine has been perfect out of the box with no issues.

Last edited:

Eleven

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I've sideloaded several of my favorite apps using "Easy Installer". Get it from the Amazon App store, and then just put your APK's into the download directory, run Easy Installer and search for the APKs and have at it.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I've sideloaded several of my favorite apps using "Easy Installer". Get it from the Amazon App store, and then just put your APK's into the download directory, run Easy Installer and search for the APKs and have at it.

Or you can just go to the downloads folder and run the apk to install it..

RafenoftheIXth

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

Can you do this without having to root the Fire HD?

Thanks

RafenoftheIXth

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I've been trying to find out if this was possible without rooting the KFHD. Some sites seem to suggest that you can side load the KFHD without rooting and others say that it was only possible on the original Kindle Fire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21