My Son's Kindle Fire HD keeps losing sound!

doctj

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi all
bought a Fire HD for my son. Initial unit lost sound through the speakers despite multiple resets (headphone jack worked though). Contacted Amazon who replaced it, second unit was fine for a few days but has started losing sound again which only returns with a hard reset. Obviously it's a software problem, are there any permanent fixes? It's rather bothersome and my son doesn't know how to hard reset it so he usually goes several hours before I can reset it for him after work. Thanks

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
It might be an app issue. I am not seeing that problem (watching BBC iPlayer as I type). So, what apps are you using?

Alan

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Mine seems to default to a lower sound level when the device randomly goes to sleep and you turn it back on. It doesn't go back to the higher sound levels until you reboot the device. Definitely a software/OS bug that I hope they fix soon.

doctj

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Well now unit has lost sound completely even after several hard resets. I've emailed Amazon and I'm awaiting a response but I may just return it. I have a prime account which is why i've favored it over the nexus 7 but this bug is a killer.

LCookie

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I have lost sound too on my fire hd. But my headphones worked, till now. I have no sound at all and I've tried everything. Im very upset. I think it started when I got this app called file manager I saw a YouTube video that with this app it let me an another app called 1 mobile market and let me get the app instagram. So I was able to get instagram, life was good. the thing that sucked was it always gives me messages one was "check if your android has a virus" I did it, said my app the file manager had a virus. They claimed they could fix it for 2 bucks but I thought it was probably a scam. But a few days later I lost sound. Is that the reason why? How do I fix it? I need help!!:'(

Marzidaboss

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes. i downloaded es file because i wanted to get instagram. i then had to download 1mobile market! shorty after i lost all sound on my kindle. i also got a notification that my kindle might have a virus but when i finished, it said it would cost 2 bucks. i also thought it was a scam! please please please hellp!!

twinkthacat

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
wow. same here!!!! instagram did it to me too......... But i downloaded apk from the web... I wonder whats wrong. BTW, 1mobile isnt a scam.

KaleighB

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I have that problem all the time it just happens when im watching a video or listening to music i just pause it and play but if that doesnt work somtimes i turn off the thing im doing and go back to it.

Michael Duby

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Same thing here. My kindle fire HDX 8.9 loses volume after it has gone to sleep and wake it up. Haven't been able to track down the problem which leads me to believe that it's a problem with the hardware. I've tried uninstalling software one at a time so it's not that. My wife has an HDX 7 and the same problem occurs with hers also after it sleeps. Well, it could be a problem with Amazon's OS. I hope there's a fix for this soon.

David Michael2

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
ES File explorer and 1mobile market are both good apps you shouldn't be getting any viruses from that. You should still uninstall all apps downloaded from 1mobile including 1mobile. You're version might be a corrupted apk. Also not every app on 1mobile is safe even though it is a good app store they probably don't have the time or the money to check every single app. You should uninstall especially file explorer just in case, (it is not needed for the download) then download 1 mobile from their website then download cm security or avg anti virus. This will take out any normal virus if that is what is taking out your sound. By the way you have adware and most likely a Trojan virus do not pay the 2 bucks it will not help. I hope I'm helping instead of rambling on.. Good Luck!

Stone ager

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Fast forward to October 2015. Bought kindle fire 8.9 and guess what. I lose sound about 50 % every time I click on video. Have gone through hard set for other issues. When I brought up the sound issue the tech literally coughed for a few moments and then mumbled about not fixing it as new software was on its merry way. .that came and went with no fix for dropped sound. All I have to do is turn the kindle off and back on. Especially annoying having to unfold the collapsing heavy kindle magnetic cover. To me, it doesn't sound unreasonable to have a power button and volume control on the front page.

Posted via the Android Central App

Out Of Town

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
First off, I LOVE the Kindle Fire - an absolutely tremendous device (I also have a Kindle Paperwhite which is quite possibly the best device I've ever owned).

However...

My Kindle is second-hand (my son wasn't interested in it so I've grabbed it!) and I've set it up just the way I want it. There are two PROBLEMS... One is that the power button doesn't work (an over-eager son hammering it no doubt) so I have to use the magnetic cover to turn it on/off (although this doesn't do a hard-reset - the only way to do that is to open up the back and disconnect and reconnect the battery and then try to get some sort of connection on the power button connector - just don't ask!).

The other problem is this darned headphone left-channel silence and occasional full silence on the whole device. Having been through several days of diagnosis and experiments I'm convinced there is a software or firmware issue that causes this. It may be a hardware issue for some people (those who can use the tin foil trick) but my problem is DEFINITELY a software or firmware issue.

Right now I have both headphone channels up and running and I'm a happy bunny - but occasionally (and I think it's after waking the display by opening the magnetic jacket/cover) the sound will either go completely or the left channel will drop out. I tried all manner of different 3.5 mm jacks and cables - none made a difference.

I'm running the latest software update and, since my Fire is one of the original ones (is that 3rd generation?), then I can only assume Amazon have given up trying to resolve this issue - which is a BIG MISTAKE because there must be MANY people in my situation with fluctuating headphone sound and the longer the issue persists the more damaging it is to Amazon's brand and their efforts to get market share in this field.

Amazon - please listen - we love your products (Kindle is pure genius and "just works") but PLEASE look at this issue across ALL your Kindle Fire models and help put us out of our misery! Either tell us that it's a firmware issue that can't be resolved or a software issue that you're working on - but one way or other please put us out of our misery.

And, MOST IMPORTANTLY, since I've read above that someone is having this issue on a brand new Kindle Fire 8.9 then please make it CRYSTAL CLEAR whether this is a design fault and whether you're going to fix it. Because I am considering upgrading my Kindle Fire (because of the broken power button) but I simply won't if there's any doubt that I'll be stuck with the same headphone sound issue.

Thanks for listening Amazon!

Last edited:

ahindman

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Kindle support and I wish I had better news for all of you. They say there is nothing they can do aside from resetting it that it "must" have been dropped which is not at all true. we have had ours for about 15 months and it has been used maybe 40 times at the most. It is stored in a plastic case when not in use and is mainly used for school and reading books. It was not dropped or misused in any way. The first Kindle I had quit charging with in 3 months of purchase so they send me a new one. well I guess when you get a replacement there is only a 90 day warranty on the second one. Mine would have been past that time any ways but just an FYI for every one else. The best they could do is a $25.00 mail in rebate on a new one. I'm so disappointed. I told them how I had been online and seen that allot of others with the same issue and wondered if it wasn't maybe a software problem and she said no and that she had not talked to many people with this issue...hmmm

I hope this helps some of you :0)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol