Kindle Fire HD as an E-Reader- Please Help

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I know the Kindle Fire HD does a lot of cool things, but I'm curious how well it works as an actual reader. For school I can buy my textbooks as real books or buy them on the Kindle. I can see buying them on the kindle saving me a lot of money in the long run, but I don't want it to be a headache. So, how does reading books work? I'll possibly looking at the screen for hours at a time, will this be pleasant, or will I have problems? Have you ever read textbooks? Thanks for the help, I'm very grateful.

Zach

androidalais

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Granted, i don't have a Fire HD. But i do have the original Fire, and i love it. I use it at school and the screen is great for reading. Mine is a little slow, but with all the upgrades in the Fire HD it should be pretty wicked fast. There's even a setting when reading that allows you to turn the book to white on black (for those with sensitive eyes) and i use that too. you can also set the different sizes for the type. I would say, GO FOR IT. The kindle is BA and if i had a choice between mine and a paperwhite, or any other standered kindle, i would stay with my Fire. Good luck.

muiriddin

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Zach,

The answer really depends upon the text book in question. Some of them are nothing more than a low dpi scanned PDF of the print version. This would behave a lot like certain comic books do on the kindle fire (quick answer I have to zoom each page in order to read the text and it is quite pixelated if I zoom in too far). Other text book producers actually create a format that is much more useful (either much higher dpi scans, or a better than pdf format). This will vary from book to book. Therefore it is difficult to answer your question with a simple thumbs up or thumbs down since the ability of the kindle to function as a textbook for school will vary from title to title.

All I can say for certain is that for some diagram heavy, low dpi scanned books it has been horrible but others have been very nice.

K

IdRatherDrum

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the Kindle Fire HD and it's amazing for reading books. Right now I have never used any textbooks but I have read for hours on end and it's great. The text is very crisp.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I also have not used it for text books but wanted to point out that the ability to add notes, etc., could prove helpful when studying, etc. You could of course do that with a regular book as well but then the value would be diminished when you try to sell it back.

Shekar iyer

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I read a lot of books on kindle fire hd 8.9. I have no issues except that the screen is too bright for night reading. This can be easily solved by screen filter/dimmer apps from Amazon app store. I also install google books, so all my ebooks are in one place now.

striker1064

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I use my HD 8.9" for books all the time, although I have to admit I haven't used it for textbooks yet. I had the original Fire but didn't like it as much for reading.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2