Why won't my Kindle Fire HD 7 (2012 model) charge?

Caleb Roach

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Kindle Fire HD 7" (2012 model) Battery Power Issue

I am posting this in an effort to troubleshoot my girlfriends Kindle Fire. It's just over a year old and she has started experiencing major issues with it rendering it unusable. The issues are as follows and I assume stem from a common fault.

Basically it won't charge:
24 Hours charging via an official Amazon kindle "PowerFast" charger or any other micro usb based charger results with it turning on and dying within a few minutes subsequently displaying the empty battery symbol upon trying to boot again. Often it doesn't seem to charge at all, the displayed battery percentage remaining the same.

Random battery readings.
When it does manage to turn on it displays a seemingly inaccurate/arbitrary battery percentage (1%, 32%, 100%, ?) and it will either just die within minutes as stated above or sit at that percentage for ages and then drop massively (ie 100% for 30mins then suddenly 20% and powering off minutes later). Once I even turned it on after a full nights charge, it detected 0% battery (after multiple reboots) and read as battery unknown and no voltage output (using the Battery HD app).

Freezing.
Apparently it has frozen once or twice but not on my watch.

It detects the charger input easily so I don't think the charger port is broken. My money is either on the power management software or the battery its self. I have uninstalled most apps, tried the "holding the power button reset trick" (which I assume clears the memory?). It's out of warranty and Amazon has basically said to just buy a new one (gee thanks!)

Any advice, input or suggestions surrounding the cause or repair would be most welcome.

Cheers!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle