Getting Third Party Launchers on Fire 8 HD Without Rooting It?

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Ok so I'm going to get the new Fire 8 HD. I know I can get the Google Play Store with out rooting the tablet. But how can I get the third party launchers on it? Like Nova Launcher or Smart Launcher? There are no recent videos on You Tube. And I don't want to root the tablet. Is there a way to get the launchers with out rooting the tablet? And is there any recent news about being able to use wallpaper now?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Launchers don't request root. If the launcher has been written and compiled to run on the Fire, it will download and install from Play with no problems. If there's no version for Fire, no rooting will make the launcher run on a Fire.

So just go to Play and tap the Install button for Nova (or any other launcher you want to try). If it installs, there's a version on Play for Fire.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
thanks @dianehelen, that worked out for me

My pleasure.

Just a small heads up on one little issue I have found. For some reason with nova , on the fire, after looking at and/or clearing recent apps, or in a few other instances, to get back to the home screen, you need to do a long press in the home button and hear a small haptic feedback , then just a quick tap on the sorta greyed out screen, gets you back to home screen. Not sure why this happens, but it drove me nuts till I figured this out.

Also home, does not get you to the default home screen, like it does on a straight android tablet, it brings you to the last home screen you were on. Gonna look again if there is maybe a nova setting I'm missing, but if not at least I know how to navigate.

A little funky working around the Amazon iteration of Android, but still for me for a 33 dollar tablet, that I can hold like a book for reading, and many other things, still a great deal.

Oh ya, and last tiny tip, to copy your free .mobi format books, just drop them in the books folder on the fire, and they show up in the kindle app.

If I discover more, I'll let y'all know. If I could ever find a way to get netflix to talk to Chromecast I'd be over the moon, but I don't hold much hope.

Last edited:

HulloSon

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
Ok so I'm going to get the new Fire 8 HD. I know I can get the Google Play Store with out rooting the tablet. But how can I get the third party launchers on it? Like Nova Launcher or Smart Launcher? There are no recent videos on You Tube. And I don't want to root the tablet. Is there a way to get the launchers with out rooting the tablet? And is there any recent news about being able to use wallpaper now?

HulloSon

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
Aptoid is doing everything I need, w/o root.
1Mobile is also useful, but won't install on my Fire8. I was ready to return it and go back to my 7hdx until I found Aptoid.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
A little more info

Which were you trying to install when you say nothing happened?

Have you gone thru the steps to install google play store?

Did you make sure to turn on the ok to install unknown apps?

Also there was a step in there about detect home button

Hope this helps and you get it working

cmorettz

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
A little more info

Which were you trying to install when you say nothing happened?

Have you gone thru the steps to install google play store?

Did you make sure to turn on the ok to install unknown apps?

Also there was a step in there about detect home button

Hope this helps and you get it working

Tried to install google account manager. Nothing happens when i tap install.
NO highlight nothing. several taps, long tap and hold nothing.

unknown apps turned on.

:-[
Sorry, I'm an *****. I changed a bunch of stuff on
the fire. After a full restart it works fine.
Google play installed.
Thanks for your help.:-[

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Tried to install google account manager. Nothing happens when i tap install.
NO highlight nothing. several taps, long tap and hold nothing.

unknown apps turned on.

:-[
Sorry, I'm an *****. I changed a bunch of stuff on
the fire. After a full restart it works fine.
Google play installed.
Thanks for your help.:-[

Yay so glad it's all good

And Nahh you are not an ***, just a gadget lover who wants stuff working as desired :)

We have all done the round and round at some point to get funky work arounds to work

And if you feel adventurous, install Kodi & the Exodus add on. Great how to sites on that too. Oh the fun we have

Enjoy !

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
My pleasure. That's what this great community is all about. Sharing great info for others to benefit from. I sure have gotten my share of great help here on many many devices over the years