OFFICIAL I'm buying the Kindle Fire thread!

IRSmurf

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I already have a slate (ASUS EP121), a powerful phone (Droid Bionic), and a 3rd gen Kindle 3G w/ lighted case.

I prefer my eReaders to be as close to a book as possible. I see no reason to pick one up for myself.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I like the idea of the Kindle Fire and its release before Black Friday, but I already have a fire sale Touchpad.

I may get a Kindle Touch though. I like e-Ink, but didn't like Kindle 3's keyboard interface.

chefmbeland

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I pre-ordered one. I don't have any tablets/e-readers or anything, just a Nexus S. This seems perfect for me. Really not interested in paying 300+ for an ipad/xoom/whatever so I'll be glad to get this.

JDub313

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I already ordered one. I figure I have 6 weeks to read about it and really make my decision, but this way I'm in line early if I decide to go through with it. It will be interesting to see what comes out. For instance - will Netflix work on the Fire?

I was on the fence about ordering a Galaxy Tab 10.1, but the Fire and a new Kindle Touch would be less money combined and still give me the EInk device that I really prefer for reading. The only problem is that I would need to carry 2 devices on vacations etc (especially when I might be reading outdoors), but that would have been the case with any other Tablet as well.

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Netflix work on the Fire?

You can only use the Amazon appstore and it doesn't have the app there. Perhaps you can goto the webpage and view it, but I suspect it wouldn't work (same for Hulu). Anyway, with Prime you get a lot of content. The point of the tablet is to sell Amazon stuff.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I already ordered one. I figure I have 6 weeks to read about it and really make my decision, but this way I'm in line early if I decide to go through with it.

Exactly. I've got an iPad 2 and a Nook Touch between my wife and I but I always find the wife gravitating to the iPad 2 for the web browsing. Being able to sell the Nook Touch for like 100 bucks makes the Fire a really good option for her. She doesn't need a powerhouse tablet...just one she can call her own. :) 100 bucks is a small price to pay for wifey happiness. If she decides she doesn't want it, I can always return it. Amazon is awesome in that regard. I just wonder if she'll be opposed to LCD rather than e-ink. That'll be the deciding factor I'm sure.

I've already pre-ordered so we'll see what happens. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: nuprotocol

myersw

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Already have Nook Color running CM7 in eMMMC. Have Nook and Kindle apps installed. So already have a 7 inch tablet with more possibilities. Already have Amazon Prime so have access to content. I do think the 7 inch size is just right for an e-reader but a tad small for browsing the web. Easier to hold then a 10 tablet when reading a book. Almost seems like you need one of each to have everything.
I do have a Kindle though and like the e-ink display better for reading then the powered Nook screen. Suspect the new Fire will be the same in that regard including reflections.
So I guess the answer is no I will not be buying. If I buy anything soon it would be a 10 inch tablet and I have a hard time justifying the $300 plus when I do have a good 7 inch tablet already.
--bill

JohnDuh

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Yep - I climbed in line. I made sure to reserve the right to jump out of line if the Nook Color 2 comes bopping down the street or if Mrs. Duh clamps the purse shut.

JeremytheIndian

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Being able to sell the Nook Touch for like 100 bucks makes the Fire a really good option for her.

Good luck selling a used Nook Touch for $100 with the new Kindles starting at $79 and Kindle Touch at $99. You better get that junk on eBay or Craigslist before the masses get wise. ;)

FloridaPhil

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Ordered. Can cancel any time up to shipping so if something comes up I don't like, no loss.

Would you like Honeycomb with that sir? Why yes, yes I would!

JDub313

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
You can only use the Amazon appstore and it doesn't have the app there. Perhaps you can goto the webpage and view it, but I suspect it wouldn't work (same for Hulu). Anyway, with Prime you get a lot of content. The point of the tablet is to sell Amazon stuff.
Not sure if it's true or not, but I found this in an article on Bloomberg.com:

"Kindle Fire owners will have access to apps from Pandora Media Inc., Twitter, Facebook, and Netflix Inc. (NFLX) Although other competitors like Barnes & Noble Inc. (BKS) can submit their apps, it will be much easier for Kindle Fire owners to find Amazon?s own content. That?s one reason Amazon is in the best position to turn the tablet battle into a two combatant war. "

Bezos Portrays Kindle Fire as Service, Not Tablet - Bloomberg

Reactions: Elis60660

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Good luck selling a used Nook Touch for $100 with the new Kindles starting at $79 and Kindle Touch at $99. You better get that junk on eBay or Craigslist before the masses get wise. ;)

Absolutely...it'll go up tonight. People are stupid on eBay when it comes to tech. I've got almost 700 positive feedbacks proving that point. LOL.

Scout_313

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I have mine pre-ordered as well. I don't plan on using it for much other than web browsing and I really liked the size of the PlayBook when I tried it out. I'm guessing it'll be rooted at some point so that we can have more freedom with the device.

lionsson

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
My kids been wanting a tablet for a while now. This seem to fit the bill, so I just order 2 of them. The weird thing about this is that I'm not to sure if I will be flashing a new ROM to this. :confused:

I like to have all of Amazn's kindle fire services working with CM7 (like Streamimg movies, online cloud, etc)

paa79594

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Already have Nook Color running CM7 in eMMMC. Have Nook and Kindle apps installed. So already have a 7 inch tablet with more possibilities. Already have Amazon Prime so have access to content. I do think the 7 inch size is just right for an e-reader but a tad small for browsing the web. Easier to hold then a 10 tablet when reading a book. Almost seems like you need one of each to have everything.
I do have a Kindle though and like the e-ink display better for reading then the powered Nook screen. Suspect the new Fire will be the same in that regard including reflections.
So I guess the answer is no I will not be buying. If I buy anything soon it would be a 10 inch tablet and I have a hard time justifying the $300 plus when I do have a good 7 inch tablet already.
--bill

Cool story,bro.

SassyLee

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Well I order the Fire and Kindle Touch 3G/Wifi and I already own a Ipad2 and Acer Tablet but been wanting a smaller tablet.

Alicia:)

havensed

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Wondering how fast it will be rooted?

"Life is tough, but even tougher if you're stupid. ". John Wayne.
Rooted running, Apex 2.0 RC3 ,watermark'd, using Jake's mods.