Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Default Will the Kindle Fire have Google Maps, or an alternative?

Will the Kindle Fire have Google Maps, or an alternative?

Will there be a map app that has it's own maps on the device like TomTom for the iPhone or navigator (I think that's that it's called) for Android?

I would like to use it with a MiFI.

Also, if someone could tell me if the Amazon appstore apps for phones work on the Fire, pleeeease do?
    AzD

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

Default Re: Will the Kindle Fire have Google Maps, or an alternative?

Probably won't have Google maps. It doesn't have GPS.

The Amazon app store will note if an app is compatible with the Fire or not.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AzD View Post
    Probably won't have Google maps. It doesn't have GPS.

The Amazon app store will note if an app is compatible with the Fire or not.
    GPS doesn't matter for me on a tablet in this case. I just want to see a google map (or some other) with traffic that I can search for.

Thanks for the second part, I didn't know the Fire wasn't even out yet, so since I didn't see anything to indicate apps for the Fire I assumed there was another list that I couldn't find.

Some MiFI may have GPS in them I believe.
    AzD

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    GPS doesn't matter for me on a tablet in this case. I just want to see a google map (or some other) with traffic that I can search for.

Thanks for the second part, I didn't know the Fire wasn't even out yet, so since I didn't see anything to indicate apps for the Fire I assumed there was another list that I couldn't find.

Some MiFI may have GPS in them I believe.
    Well if your need is simply accessing Google Maps over wifi w/o the GPS, then the Kindle Fire will almost certainly work for that. It likely won't have the Google Maps app*, but you could access them on the browser.

I don't think the "which apps will work on the Fire" issue has been very well delineated by Amazon just yet, but this is a direct quote from their website, when you click on Kindle Fire Apps" in the Amazon App Store -

"Kindle Fire features instant access to the Amazon Appstore for Android and thousands of apps, all of them Amazon-tested on Kindle Fire for the best experience possible."

Sounds like they are vetting all apps on the Amazon App Store for compatibility with the Kindle Fire. Maybe I am misreading it though.

*Edit: may be possible to get the Google Maps app on it via sideloading or some other method.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Yea, while they don't show Gmanps, there is Bing maps and MapQuest maps in the appstore. I have Bing maps on my Android phone now and the traffic is better than Gmaps traffic. Bing uses INRIX for traffic data.