Should I sell my Asus Transformer for a Kindle Fire?

Mikeypizzle

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm considering selling my Asus Transformer and getting the Fire. I barely use my Transformer to it's full ability, mostly as an e-reader and some media content. It's really just the size that makes it awkward to hold. But i'm afraid that when i switch to the Fire i'm gonna miss the freedom of AOSP Honeycomb....Looking into the trade in program at Best Buy and i can get like $230 for it which covers the Fire and a case. I've already accepted this lose in money...but that's life right.

Please help me with this 1st world problem...

reelon

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering selling my Asus Transformer and getting the Fire. I barely use my Transformer to it's full ability, mostly as an e-reader and some media content. It's really just the size that makes it awkward to hold. But i'm afraid that when i switch to the Fire i'm gonna miss the freedom of AOSP Honeycomb....Looking into the trade in program at Best Buy and i can get like $230 for it which covers the Fire and a case. I've already accepted this lose in money...but that's life right.

Well, if it were me, I would keep the transformer, it can do almost everything that the kindle fire does, for me the potential is important. So unless you're really want that change on the size of the tablets I would keep it.

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

If you prefer a 7" tablet (you can try the BB Playbook to see how it feels) over the larger size, then your choice is nearly made. Freedom is nice but if all you are doing is media consumption, it shouldn't matter.
Also, you don't know how long the trade-in program will last.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
For what I'm using it for, all I need is the Fire. And it sounds like you'd be using it for the same thing. So what if the Transformer has extra options? If you don't use them, it doesn't really matter. I had the chance to buy a GTab 10.1 for $350. It was in mint condition, but I still passed because I don't need the extra stuff it has. Yeah, there's a lot more I could do with the GTab than I could a Fire, but if I won't use it, why bother? If you can trade it in and basically get a Fire and a case for free, I'd do it, especially if you like the smaller form factor. And I agree with a poster who said to try out a PB.

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Have you considered keeping the Transformer and just buying the Kindle Fire regardless? With the Kindle Fire at $200, it's not like you're talking about a lot of extra money to spend anyway, unless you are on a fairly tight budget.

blackbyrd

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

DO NOT DO IT! I had the original nook color. ( i know its not a Fire, but its close enough for argument) I traded it because i wanted a more pure android experience. I really dont see the draw to this Fire! its a gimped android experience in a BB playbook shell. The transformer is one of the best tablets out with awesome update support.

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Mikey:

A person has to do what they have to do! But, you may want to consider not selling your TF until after you have had the Fire in hand for a while. In my opinion the TF, with the dock, is one of the best, if not the best, most versitile tablets out there. Also, you may find the tradeoff of less screen size for less weight will not be as nifty as you think. My suggestion: WALK SLOW!!! Tough decision! Good Luck!

Cbill

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site
It's all about personal preference, but I'm keeping my GTab 10.1 and I have a Fire on the way. For one, when I'm on the go I don't want to take my tab with me. At $500, I'm a lil' paranoid taking it around with me. Giving me the functionality of my Tab (for the most part) with a smaller form factor at $200 is a no-brainer to me. Two, It's replacing my Kindle, which I love and use all the time. For my wife it'll be her first tablet (ordered two, I don't share very well ;) ), and for what she'll do with it, it's perfect for her.

I agree with using the Fire for a while, and then deciding. There's no way for you to know if it's going to replace what you have until you've tried it.

ladyfinesse08

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I say keep the fire. Like ofthecats86 said it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Also keep in mind that yeah with the trade in they'll give you $230 for your transformer making it seem like it and the case our free... when in actuality its almost like you're paying more for the kindle fire as the Asus transformer cost you about $150 more. And I doubt they're giving you a full refund.

whydidnt

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
My opinion is that anyone that already has any sort of "non-Amazon" media collection already is going to be seriously disappointed with the Fire. I have yet to see anything that leads me to believe there will be a way to load media onto the Fire other than through Amazon. Even short of that, 8GB of space is pretty sparse if you are planning on carrying much media with you, especially when you figure you might want a game or two loaded, some email, etc.

If you want a 7' device and you have media already, maybe you should consider the HTC Flyer, it's only $100.00 more at BestBuy, has more memory, and is expandable and while you can still use all of Amazon's media services, you aren't locked into them.

I REALLY don't get the fascination any current Android user has with the Fire, when you compare it to the Flyer, well, there's just no comparison. I think the Fire will be a great device for those that have never had a tablet, or seriously used a smartphone before. But I think those of us that have found Android Central don't really fall into that category.

Mikeypizzle

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to everyones input, I've decided to keep my Transformer and just wait on the Fire until i get to feel it out and play with it. Also since i'm gonna be buying the new Galaxy Nexus off contract so that should be pricey and it will be nice to have two devices that have ICS....since you know and have said that Asus is amazing about software updates....Again, thanks for all the input.

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
My opinion is that anyone that already has any sort of "non-Amazon" media collection already is going to be seriously disappointed with the Fire. I have yet to see anything that leads me to believe there will be a way to load media onto the Fire other than through Amazon. Even short of that, 8GB of space is pretty sparse if you are planning on carrying much media with you, especially when you figure you might want a game or two loaded, some email, etc.

You can load non-Amazon media, however the device does not come with a USB cable (just a power cable). Any USB to microUSB cable will work though. The small storage is a factor as well (6.5 gigs is free on a new device).

candice powell

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
If anyone wants to buy an Asus Transformer that is basically brand new let me know. I still have all of the original packaging and material that came with it. I am willing to negotiate the price. It's a really nice device but I really need an actual laptop to get me through the next two years.