Kindle Fire apps?

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
So my wife and I have android phones and the kids play a ton of the games that we have. We are thinking of getting them a tablet for the holidays. I like the price of the Kindle fire. Is it a true android tablet? Can I get and run any app? I assume it does not have access to the android market, but does to the amazon one (that I currently have on my phone). So are the apps I see there available for the fire?

brillrick

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
So my wife and I have android phones and the kids play a ton of the games that we have. We are thinking of getting them a tablet for the holidays. I like the price of the Kindle fire. Is it a true android tablet? Can I get and run any app? I assume it does not have access to the android market, but does to the amazon one (that I currently have on my phone). So are the apps I see there available for the fire?

- Yes it is an android tablet. Amazon does not specify, but it is believed that it runs a highly customized version of Android 2.3 Gingerbread.
- By default it can run many if not all the apps in the Amazon App Store. However, since the kindle fire does not have 3G, GPS, microphone, bluetooth or cameras, apps that take advantage of those hardware features will not function. Amazon is curating their app store to make sure that apps that take advantage of these missing features are not in the app store at all, so you should not have to worry about defective apps.
- Yes, it has access to that amazon app store, it is preloaded onto the device, along with the Kindle store, Amazon MP3 store, and the Amazon instant video store.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Also, compatible apps that you've purchased from the Amazon App Store can be downloaded to the Fire without paying again. This includes free apps of the day that you downloaded in the past.

Sent using Tapatalk