1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default did I brick my Fire?

I edited the settings.db, and now my Fire won't boot past the kindle fire logo. Is there any way to get it back? adb isn't listing it when I run adb devices. This is my first time rooting an android device, but I'm usually pretty techy...

Is it possible to get a disk-image of a factory-defaults kindle fire and dd it onto the drive? It looks like the Fire is connecting at least partly to my linux box, since it's getting an entry in /dev and showing up in syslog, but it won't let me mount it.

Any suggestions for unbricking???? I'd *really* like to have my fire working again!

btw, i have mac and linux boxes here...

Default Re: did I brick my Fire?

When you say you "edited the settings db" what exactly did you edit?????

Quote Originally Posted by maquis_ View Post
    I edited the settings.db, and now my Fire won't boot past the kindle fire logo. Is there any way to get it back? adb isn't listing it when I run adb devices. This is my first time rooting an android device, but I'm usually pretty techy...

Is it possible to get a disk-image of a factory-defaults kindle fire and dd it onto the drive? It looks like the Fire is connecting at least partly to my linux box, since it's getting an entry in /dev and showing up in syslog, but it won't let me mount it.

Any suggestions for unbricking???? I'd *really* like to have my fire working again!

btw, i have mac and linux boxes here...

Looks like you can download this update through your computer and reload the OS. Cant hurt to try at this point.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...idcentral00-20
    Don't mess with me, I haven't had my Tratonin yet.

My kindle fire was stuck in a bootloop/bricked (info on what was going on prior to fixing: <u>forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1355371</u>) after some complications when trying to install google apps. I may of deleted system files, really not sure what happened at this point. Anyway, this is what finally fixed it. This will get your device to the just out of the box state. Just follow along with the commands. I documented as much as I could, but if you have any questions feel free to ask. Hope this helps!<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    For this to work you will need fastboot and zergRush root<br />
    get fastboot here: <u>koushikdutta.blurryfox.com/G1/</u><br />
    details on how fastboot works: <u>wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Fastboot</u><br />
    zergRush root: <u>rootkindlefire.com/kindle-fire-root/how-to-root-kindle-fire/</u><br />
    Also make sure your device is charged, this will save you some time at the end!<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <b>//Step 1: </b><br />
    adb push zergRush /data/local/tmp<br />
    <br />
    <b>//Step 2: temp root</b><br />
    N1@n~<br />
    $ adb shell<br />
    adb server is out of date. killing...<br />
    * daemon started successfully *<br />
    $ cd data/local<br />
    cd data/local<br />
    $ cd tmp<br />
    cd tmp<br />
    $ ls<br />
    ls<br />
    boomsh<br />
    zergRush<br />
    sh<br />
    $ rm sh boomsh <b>//remove everything but zergRush</b><br />
    rm sh boomsh<br />
    $ ./zergRush <b>//run zergRush</b><br />
    ./zergRush<br />
    <br />
    [**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root<br />
    [**] (C) 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.<br />
    <br />
    [**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.<br />
    <br />
    [+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00015118[*] Scooting ...[*] Sending 149 zerglings ...<br />
    [+] Zerglings found a way to enter ! 0x10<br />
    [+] Overseer found a path ! 0x000151e0[*] Sending 149 zerglings ...<br />
    [+] Zerglings caused crash (good news): 0x40119cd4 0x0054[*] Researching Metabolic Boost ...<br />
    [+] Speedlings on the go ! 0xafd195cb 0xafd3937f[*] Popping 24 more zerglings[*] Sending 173 zerglings ...<br />
    <br />
    [+] Rush did it ! It's a GG, man !<br />
    [+] Killing ADB and restarting as root... enjoy!<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <b>//Step 3: reboot into fastboot<br />
    //note: 4002 for fastboot</b><br />
    N1@n~<br />
    $ adb shell<br />
    # cd /system/bin<br />
    cd /system/bin <br />
    # idme bootmode 4002 <br />
    idme bootmode 4002<br />
    &lt;idme&gt; write 4002 to offset 0x1000<br />
    # reboot<br />
    reboot<br />
    <br />
    <b>//Step 4: clear user data and cache using fastboot<br />
    //note: 0x1949 is the device-id for the kindle so fastboot can recognize it</b><br />
    N1@n ~<br />
    $ fastboot -i 0x1949 -w <b>//this part might take a while</b><br />
    erasing 'userdata'... OKAY [110.203s]<br />
    erasing 'cache'... OKAY [ 28.328s]<br />
    finished. total time: 138.531s<br />
    <br />
    <b>//Step 5: change back to normal boot mode in fastboot<br />
    //note: 4000 is for normal boot</b><br />
    N1@n~<br />
    $ fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000<br />
    ... OKAY [ 0.219s]<br />
    finished. total time: 0.219s<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <b>//Step 6: use fastboot to restart kindle fire</b><br />
    N1@n ~<br />
    $ fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot<br />
    rebooting...<br />
    finished. total time: 0.016s<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    At this point the kindle hit splash screen for a few minutes then told me that my device needed to be charged (was at 13%) to continue. **So make sure your device is charged**, otherwise you will have to wait about 20-30 minutes depending on your charge %. The amber light finally came on while connected to PC which it wasn't doing before so this was a good sign. <br />
    <br />
    After it was charged enough the next step stated: "Your kindle has detected a problem and must clear app storage.The recovery precess will erase some applications and data from your device. Apps from the appstore are stored in the could and can be reinstalled later. This will rest your kindle to its original factory settings. You will need to re-register your kindle prior to downloading items from your amazon account. Please press power button to proceed"<br />
    <br />
    After you press the power button it shows a progress bar, reboots, hits splash screen for a few minutes then takes you to set up your Kindle Fire account YAYYYY!<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    tl;dr -<br />
    <br />
    adb shell<br />
    /data/local/tmp/zergRush<br />
    (then change the bootmode after temp root)<br />
    (then reboot to fastboot)<br />
    (wipe everything)<br />
    (change back to normal boot mode in fastboot)<br />
    (tell fastboot to restart the tablet)<br />
    (wait for it to recover and done, yay)

---
    I am here:
    Thanked by 2:

Cool, thanks for the info

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    Don't mess with me, I haven't had my Tratonin yet.

My kindle fire was stuck in a bootloop/bricked (info on what was going on prior to fixing: <u>forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1355371</u>) after some complications when trying to install google apps. I may of deleted system files, really not sure what happened at this point. Anyway, this is what finally fixed it. This will get your device to the just out of the box state. Just follow along with the commands. I documented as much as I could, but if you have any questions feel free to ask. Hope this helps!<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    For this to work you will need fastboot and zergRush root<br />
    get fastboot here: <u>koushikdutta.blurryfox.com/G1/</u><br />
    details on how fastboot works: <u>wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Fastboot</u><br />
    zergRush root: <u>rootkindlefire.com/kindle-fire-root/how-to-root-kindle-fire/</u><br />
    Also make sure your device is charged, this will save you some time at the end!<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <b>//Step 1: </b><br />
    <br />
    <b>//Step 2: temp root</b><br />
    N1@n~<br />
    $ adb shell<br />
    adb server is out of date. killing...<br />
    * daemon started successfully *<br />
    $ cd data/local<br />
    cd data/local<br />
    $ cd tmp<br />
    cd tmp<br />
    $ ls<br />
    ls<br />
    boomsh<br />
    zergRush<br />
    sh<br />
    $ rm sh boomsh <b>//remove everything but zergRush</b><br />
    rm sh boomsh<br />
    $ ./zergRush <b>//run zergRush</b><br />
    ./zergRush<br />
    <br />
    [**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root<br />
    [**] (C) 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.<br />
    <br />
    [**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.<br />
    <br />
    [+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00015118[*] Scooting ...[*] Sending 149 zerglings ...<br />
    [+] Zerglings found a way to enter ! 0x10<br />
    [+] Overseer found a path ! 0x000151e0[*] Sending 149 zerglings ...<br />
    [+] Zerglings caused crash (good news): 0x40119cd4 0x0054[*] Researching Metabolic Boost ...<br />
    [+] Speedlings on the go ! 0xafd195cb 0xafd3937f[*] Popping 24 more zerglings[*] Sending 173 zerglings ...<br />
    <br />
    [+] Rush did it ! It's a GG, man !<br />
    [+] Killing ADB and restarting as root... enjoy!<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <b>//Step 3: reboot into fastboot<br />
    //note: 4002 for fastboot</b><br />
    N1@n~<br />
    $ adb shell<br />
    # cd /system/bin<br />
    cd /system/bin <br />
    # idme bootmode 4002 <br />
    idme bootmode 4002<br />
    &lt;idme&gt; write 4002 to offset 0x1000<br />
    # reboot<br />
    reboot<br />
    <br />
    <b>//Step 4: clear user data and cache using fastboot<br />
    //note: 0x1949 is the device-id for the kindle so fastboot can recognize it</b><br />
    N1@n ~<br />
    $ fastboot -i 0x1949 -w <b>//this part might take a while</b><br />
    erasing 'userdata'... OKAY [110.203s]<br />
    erasing 'cache'... OKAY [ 28.328s]<br />
    finished. total time: 138.531s<br />
    <br />
    <b>//Step 5: change back to normal boot mode in fastboot<br />
    //note: 4000 is for normal boot</b><br />
    N1@n~<br />
    $ fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000<br />
    ... OKAY [ 0.219s]<br />
    finished. total time: 0.219s<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <b>//Step 6: use fastboot to restart kindle fire</b><br />
    N1@n ~<br />
    $ fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot<br />
    rebooting...<br />
    finished. total time: 0.016s<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    At this point the kindle hit splash screen for a few minutes then told me that my device needed to be charged (was at 13%) to continue. **So make sure your device is charged**, otherwise you will have to wait about 20-30 minutes depending on your charge %. The amber light finally came on while connected to PC which it wasn't doing before so this was a good sign. <br />
    <br />
    After it was charged enough the next step stated: "Your kindle has detected a problem and must clear app storage.The recovery precess will erase some applications and data from your device. Apps from the appstore are stored in the could and can be reinstalled later. This will rest your kindle to its original factory settings. You will need to re-register your kindle prior to downloading items from your amazon account. Please press power button to proceed"<br />
    <br />
    After you press the power button it shows a progress bar, reboots, hits splash screen for a few minutes then takes you to set up your Kindle Fire account YAYYYY!<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    tl;dr -<br />
    <br />
    adb shell<br />
    /data/local/tmp/zergRush<br />
    (then change the bootmode after temp root)<br />
    (then reboot to fastboot)<br />
    (wipe everything)<br />
    (change back to normal boot mode in fastboot)<br />
    (tell fastboot to restart the tablet)<br />
    (wait for it to recover and done, yay)

I saw this post on another forum and tried it, but I'm a newbie so I'm not sure where I'm typing all of these commands. I tried doing it in a command prompt window, but the dollar sign wasn't recognized. Where do I type all of this data?

---

dear Ultrarunner
    thanks for the post, i followed instructions, my kindle started again in factory sittings, but unfortunately only for 5 minutes, and then get back again as a brick
    i tried to re-follow instructions, and got # prompt at adb shell and "foolishly" erased all fonts that was the original problem (i replaced fonts before to enable RTL languages).. anyway kindle logo now stopped flashing and when i run ./zergRush i get the following:

[**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root
    [**] (C) 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.

[**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00015118[*] Scooting ...[*] Sending 149 zerglings ...
    [+] Zerglings found a way to enter ! 0x10
    [-] No path found, let's hope ...[*] Sending 149 zerglings ...
    [-] No path found, let's hope ...[*] Sending 149 zerglings ...
    [-] Zerglings did not leave interesting stuff

and also when i run
    $ su i receive
    [1] + stopped (signal)

it seems i cannot temp root anymore.....what to do???

help plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails did I brick my Fire?-zerg.jpg  

Default Fire bricks

The first option you could choose is to employ someone to fit the fire surround for you. The second option is to choose to install the fire surround yourself.

A fire insurance policy is applicable for the specific time period mentioned in the agreement. It is advisable for you to select a reliable fire insurance company that can help you in case of adverse situations.

Some areas which include loss of human life and pets, harm to personal belongings, exterior places like garages and temporary living expenses for accommodation will not be covered in a simple policy. Perils such as fire, lightning, and explosion can damage your personal belongings.

hey i need some maior help i had my kidle fire rooted with the kf utility and had twrp set up well like an ***** i did a factory reset from the menu in the settings and now im stuck in twrp it wont go anywhere else it jus opens up twrp as if thats all thats left on it plz i need some help quickly

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by coltalain View Post
    hey i need some maior help i had my kidle fire rooted with the kf utility and had twrp set up well like an ***** i did a factory reset from the menu in the settings and now im stuck in twrp it wont go anywhere else it jus opens up twrp as if thats all thats left on it plz i need some help quickly
    Mount to storage from TWRP and download the latest update. Make sure it's a zip file. Then just flash it through TWRP and it should boot up.