Ripped DVD to Fire - wont play

dcmidnight

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Ripped a couple of DVDs to play on the Fire (1800 kbps 1024x600). Copied to the Video folder. Shows up in Fire - under Gallery. But videos wont play. Shows the screenshots but seems to chop around, no sound etc. Is this too high a rate to have ripped it at?

On that note, has anyone done this and noticed the small toolbar that remains at the bottom of the video as it plays? Or does that normally go away?

Thanks in advance...

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Ripped a couple of DVDs to play on the Fire (1800 kbps 1024x600). Copied to the Video folder. Shows up in Fire - under Gallery. But videos wont play. Shows the screenshots but seems to chop around, no sound etc. Is this too high a rate to have ripped it at?

On that note, has anyone done this and noticed the small toolbar that remains at the bottom of the video as it plays? Or does that normally go away?

Thanks in advance...

Toolbar didn't go away streaming on HBOGo either...

Can't speak to ripped videos yet, may try it this weekend.

WillysJeepMan

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Thanks in advance...
Sounds like too much data for the KF to decode.

I use Handbrake to encode my videos, using the standard profile for the iPhone. The videos (.m4v) look terrific on the KF... with the added benefit of having a 90 minute movie weighing in at approx. 500MB.

Reactions: anon(392870)

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

I use Handbrake to encode my videos, using the standard profile for the iPhone. The videos (.m4v) look terrific on the KF... with the added benefit of having a 90 minute movie weighing in at approx. 500MB.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have some MKVs which are 720p which I want to flip over to the Fire, and this seems like the logical way to do it.

dcmidnight

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Wow, would you mind telling me what the settings/res are that you ripped it to? I actually like the program I use now (WinX DVD ripper) but I feel like I just need to tweak the settings a bit (IE - first try, a 2 hr movie came in at 1.6G). So 1800kpbs and 1024x600 are probably not the way to go.

Thanks!

Last edited:

dabombcra

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a 300mb movie that I put into the video folder and it would not show up in the kindle. I don't know if it is a glitch or if it will not recognize ripped movies. Anyone else having this issue?

dcmidnight

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Is it an MP4, I believe that is the only format Kindle will recognize. Also, are you looking in the Gallery or under the video tab? Ripped videos in the Video folder will only show up there. Unless anyone has any updates into how to change that.

I had some better luck last night ripping a DVD at 1200 kpbs video quality / 1024x768. Video runs fine and looks good but is still 1GB for a 2 hour movie. I am hoping to find a solution that maybe makes it a little smaller file size.

WillysJeepMan

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Is it an MP4, I believe that is the only format Kindle will recognize. Also, are you looking in the Gallery or under the video tab? Ripped videos in the Video folder will only show up there. Unless anyone has any updates into how to change that.

I had some better luck last night ripping a DVD at 1200 kpbs video quality / 1024x768. Video runs fine and looks good but is still 1GB for a 2 hour movie. I am hoping to find a solution that maybe makes it a little smaller file size.
In my experience, videos will only show up in "Gallery" if they are in the Pictures folder (not the Video folder). If you use a file manager like ES Explorer, then you can keep your videos in "Video" and use ES Explorer to launch the video player on that video.

IMO, Android in general does not do a very good job of dealing with media.

dcmidnight

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, videos will only show up in "Gallery" if they are in the Pictures folder (not the Video folder). If you use a file manager like ES Explorer, then you can keep your videos in "Video" and use ES Explorer to launch the video player on that video.

IMO, Android in general does not do a very good job of dealing with media.
I copied mine into the Video folder on the Fire and they show up in the Gallery.

dvdcatalyst

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Thanks in advance...

The rate is fine, I managed to get it to play a 1080p file encoded at 4000Kbps h264 without issues, but make sure your files are below 2GB, otherwise the Kindle Fire will not play them. The menu bar is permanent unfortunately.

chrish9309

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Toolbar didn't go away streaming on HBOGo either...

Can't speak to ripped videos yet, may try it this weekend.

download avia media player from amazon store, create a file called movies so you can find them easily with worked for me but its kind of ghetto

motty69

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Isn't DVD's native resolution 720x480 (or something similar depending on aspect ratio). It just doesn't make sense to up-res it just so you hit the Kindle's native res IMO. You're bloating up your file with no real gain in quality.

Sent from my BAMForever Thunderbolt

OAadviser

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site

When you use Handbrake do you do it on a Mac? I use a PC but would like to know the settings. A friend did a movie for me but I would like to be able to rip my own. Thanks in advance. :D

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I have had none of these problems. Once I have the movies ripped to my PC, I do use handbreak, (on the Ipod setting) and convert them to an m4v/mp4 format, dropping the res a little maybe, not much, which on a 7" screen, I don't notice a difference. They come in at a max of around 500mb. And they always pop up in the gallery, and the only tool bar that stays up is the minimized home/back/settings/search bar... Watching Grandma's boy right now at 680x420, 344mb... I do rename the file format if it's m4v to mp4 though, no reason, just like it better. So maybe the Kindle doesn't like m4v either...

Last edited:

ewarhol

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi Group-

I'm new to the Android Market and recieved a kindle fire for Christmas. Just curious what programs are used for rippind DVD's. Are they safe? I googled for programs yesterday, but I always get nervous.

Thanks much!
Eric

AngryDingo

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I've been using vlc direct pro to stream ripped movies from my PC to my kindle. It encodes them on the fly, works great, and saves the hassle of having to manually edit the files. Not to mention saves storage on the kindle also.

BTSee

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi Fire Users,

I've started ripping some movies for the fire and was wondering what the ideal screen resolution is for it. I saw on Amazon's website that the device is 1024x600, but when I use Handbrake and input those figures, it won't accept 600. It would accept 640, so I used that. The result leaves 2 slim vertical black bars, one on each side.

Since I'm not an expert at video work, wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a setting to use up all the screen real estate (I saw some of the settings mentioned earlier in this thread, but those seemed low?...)?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance