1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Kindle Fire Firmware Update 6.2.1 Being Pushed Out Now

Amazon has begun pushing out firmware update 6.2.1_user_3103920 today.

From the changes I have seen so far, it includes: parental controls, the ability to edit your carousel, more detailed available memory information and more.

I wrote about some of the improvements and changes that I have discovered so far:

Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    11,762 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

From reports on xda, the update breaks root and existing methods to root no longer work. Not happy about Amazon taking affirmative steps to prevent root.

Sent using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Kindle Fire Firmware Update 6.2.1 Being Pushed Out Now

That is correct, it does break root. Which is odd, since the Fire has been a pretty "hack friendly" device thusfar.
    yes, that old

ROM
    Codename Android / franco

I just ordered one for Thursday delivery. Can you turn off the updates? I wanted to root mine, and if I can turn it of before I enable WiFi that would be nice.

I really wish Amazon would allow you to un-partition that 1GB for apps. I love just about everything about the Kindle other than this. I have no need for apps on my Kindle other than what came on it but I would love to have that 1GB back in order to have more room for books/movies etc.

Again a very minor frustration but I wish I had known before I bought it that essentially there is only 5.5GB of usable space on here.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

For those wanting the new firmware update NOW, you can download the file and side-load it onto your Fire directly.

I added the download link - and instructions on how to manually install - to my write-up on the new features and changes.

Thanked by 2:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

You can also select the download link from within the Silk Browser on your Fire and it will download to the appropriate folder and allow you install / update it.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts

I downloaded the update but nothing happens when I tapped on it.

I then used ES file manager to open the update, but the update process doesn't start.

Edit: I moved the file from the download folder to the update folder, and I was able to go into device and start the update process manually.

Quote Originally Posted by stimulatedboredom View Post
    For those wanting the new firmware update NOW, you can download the file and side-load it onto your Fire directly.

I added the download link - and instructions on how to manually install - to my write-up on the new features and changes.

Thanks for the link, my Fire didn't want to find the update today despite my many attempts to force it
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Correct, sorry, I should have clarified. If you download via the Silk Brower, the download file needs to be moved to the 'kindleupdates' folder. Once you do that, you are able to go into the device settings and install / update from there.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NotJustAPhone View Post
    From reports on xda, the update breaks root and existing methods to root no longer work. Not happy about Amazon taking affirmative steps to prevent root.

Sent using Tapatalk
    From xda forum, 6.2.1 Already rooted!!!

i just got mine last night and by the time i got it going it was already on there pretty quickly

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Just found out about the update. My fire did it all on its own before I knew the update had pushed. According to root check i no longer have root But, i can still access the android market [the reason i rooted] and i can still stream vids from amazon which previously required Root Keeper, [back-up root/ restore root, you know the drill]. Hit the restore on root keeper, it says root is restored but root check says i don't have root, weird.? As long as it works the way i want then no worries, still a little confusing though as to how its working. Oh well

What is Root Keeper?? Where do you get it??? What does it do?????

Quote Originally Posted by konaman01 View Post
    Just found out about the update. My fire did it all on its own before I knew the update had pushed. According to root check i no longer have root But, i can still access the android market [the reason i rooted] and i can still stream vids from amazon which previously required Root Keeper, [back-up root/ restore root, you know the drill]. Hit the restore on root keeper, it says root is restored but root check says i don't have root, weird.? As long as it works the way i want then no worries, still a little confusing though as to how its working. Oh well
    So are you saying that as long as you get the android market and a launcher on there before the update gets pushed to your device, it will still work fine?
B