Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sha0ggy
  • 1 Post By imtoomuch
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Com Rom 2.1

Talking 6 more days.......

Until i receive my Kindle fire as a christmas present. I cant wait. I am going to love the bigger display when reading books then my Galaxy S.

Any reccomondations on what to do when I first receive my device?

Thank you and Happy Holidays!!

Default Re: 6 more days.......

I played with and tried to customize the limited kindle flavored os but alas found there wasn't much I could do with it. I recommend reading up xda development on it, superoneclick rooting the beast then install TWRP 2.0 recovery from Kindle Fire Utilities v3 and then installing cm7 and.. profit from the openness to install what you want and do what you want with a more familiar interface. Enjoy and Merry Christmas..
    upgradde likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikethemedic View Post
    Until i receive my Kindle fire as a christmas present. I cant wait. I am going to love the bigger display when reading books then my Galaxy S.

Any reccomondations on what to do when I first receive my device?

Thank you and Happy Holidays!!
    My recommendation.... enjoy it!

I would advise against immediately rooting and installing custom firmware on it. The KF is more fragile than something like the nook color/tablet. You don't want to spoil your enjoyment of your holiday or of your device spending hours attempting to rescue your KF from the brick yard.

Out-of-the-box, the KF is a very flexible and usable tablet/reader. enable the ability to install 3rd party apps (it is in settings). Browse through the Amazon app store and a few other 3rd party app markets and install a few apps, sideload some media (music, photos, videos) and enjoy.

IMO, there is little if any need to root the device. I have an iPad2, KF, and recently gave away a autonootered nook color, and absolutely love the KF and what it can do with the current firmware.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,698 Global Posts

You'll love it! I use mine to read books, and watch netflix and hulu.

For that it's the perfect device.

I just got one today as a Christmas present from my boss! I can't wait to get home and open the box!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    PookaLady likes this.

My sister will be getting one for christmas and wants the android market on it. Hope that's easy for a n00b such as myself.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    Com Rom 2.1

Great ideas.

I think i will wait on rooting it. Just need to get familiar with sideloading apps. I am happy to see most users having a good time with this device.

Now to find a case.......

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Best part about activating the fire is....

Getting a free month of Amazon Prime!

Getting free 2 day shipping, I ordered more in that free month than I ever had off of Amazon.

Also the lending library was nice, read a couple of decent books during that free month.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my Fire experience, hope you are too.
    Thanked by:

Its an awesome device! Been using it over a month and couldn't be happier, especially for the price!

I do wish I could find a better KB for it. Getjar don't have any and heard sideloading wont work either.

Only gripe, that and no dedicated physical volume buttons.

Sent from I am on Fire!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    Com Rom 2.1

Finally received the fire today. Well worth the wait. Loving it so far!!!