ICS on Kindle Fire??

RbBrdMan

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone. I'm a bit new to the scene, however, I did search around the Kindle Forum a bit to try and at least first find a similar thread.

I'm wondering if/when I will be able to put ICS on my Kindle fire. It's such a great little tablet but it would be so much better with ICS and the android market.

So what say you Android Central? Did I miss the thread that talks about this?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
sidenote:
word of advice--be very very careful before installing any ICS launcher on the Fire. had to ADB into it & push another launcher b/c of a constant Force Close by the ICS launcher my brother installed on his (thinking you might put a launcher while waiting for the actual ROM)

other than that--yes, there is a Work-In-Progress ICS port right now that's still being polished. but i don't think it's any bit of a daily-driver as there's still many annoying bugs.

RbBrdMan

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply?

Quick question are there any step by step guides to rooting the fire to accept ROMs? I just rooted my Nexus S 4g over the weekend with a couple of great guides I found here. I'm far from a pro at this yet since the Nexus was my first rooting attempt but it went very smoothly thanks to the guides.

I found this post linking to a couple of resources, but looking at the comments on the thread it seems that it may not be working as smoothly as people would hope.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...pdated-root-method-available-kindle-fire.html

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
There's a user on YouTube, nat3mil, who has produced some great videos about hacking and working on the Kindle Fire.

In order to install a custom ROM you will need to:

A) Root the Kindle Fire - How to Root - Kindle Fire (All Firmware Versions! Including 6.2.1) - YouTube
B) Install Custom Recovery - How to Flash Custom Recovery (TWRP) - Kindle Fire - YouTube
C) Install ROM (CM7 is Available) - How to Install CyanogenMod 7 (Or Any Fire ROM) - Kindle Fire - YouTube

He also has other useful Fire videos, like installing a different ROM, installing Android market onto the stock ROM, etc. Here's his channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/nat3mil?feature=watch

Reactions: RbBrdMan

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
And to answer your original question regarding ICS, yes.

JackpotCalvin started developing CM7 (Gingerbread) for the Fire. When the ICS source code was released, he dropped the CM7 project and began working on a CM9 (ICS) build for the Fire. Another XDA user, whistlestop, picked up where Calvin left off with CM7 so we could have some form of Cyanogen to hold us over until CM9 is complete.

CM7 for Kindle Fire (aka standing on the shoulders Giants) - xda-developers

Reactions: RbBrdMan

RbBrdMan

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Got CM7 to work flawlessly last night using those video guides that you linked. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

I'm now trying to figure out if there is a way that I can have CM7 installed but also switch over to the Amazon Fire interface if I would like to. Would that be a Kindle Fire launcher that I would need to install to do that?

alOGw.jpg

JerseyDubbin

Open Source For Life!
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
The kindle fire interface is actually a customized android OS as far as I know. So I don't think there is a launcher that you can use, I believe it's one or the other.

RbBrdMan

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
The kindle fire interface is actually a customized android OS as far as I know. So I don't think there is a launcher that you can use, I believe it's one or the other.

Well, after researching some it turns out that I could have just followed this video to install a ICS launcher right from the Kindle Fire interface.

I thought that it might be able to work the opposite direction also.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, after researching some it turns out that I could have just followed this video to install a ICS launcher right from the Kindle Fire interface.

I thought that it might be able to work the opposite direction also.

It might be possible, but I haven't seen it and I can't imagine there being enough demand for a dev to make it happen.

Using TWRP, you can make backups of both your Kindle Fire Software and CM7 and switch between the two. It's not difficult per se, but it's not like switching a launcher either. I think when CM9 hits, you'll forget all about the Fire OS. Gingerbread is nice, but it feels like a large phone. A real tablet OS, I think, will really make the device shine.

RbBrdMan

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Yea, that is exactly the feeling that I have right now. My Kindle fire is just a huge phone without a camera or a microphone. It is also pretty awkward adjusting the volume without any physical buttons for volume control.

Since rooting it I've decided that I really just want to use it to read books. I don't need all the bells and whistles for that. The only things I want is to be able to DL android market apps, play the occasional game and read books.