Any issue that Kindle Fire runs Android 2.3?

edokid

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

So I'm looking to get a Kindle Fire. I had an iPad but because I have a MacBook Air I literally never touched the iPad. I think it would be nice to have a tablet though just for the odd web browsing in bed and so on and I love that the Kindle Fire is so inexpensive plus I love my Kindle Touch.

I don't want to go hardcore and put ICS or anything on it until fully stable, but I like the fact that you can install a different loader and then use Android Market and so on. The only concern I have is that it says it has Android 2.3. I realize 4.0 is the most current now.

In a quick search of the apps I'd mostly use on Google Play, pretty much all say Android 2.1 or higher, I haven't seen anything that needs higher than that. My only concern is having never owned an Android device, how long before apps start needing 3.0 or higher making the Fire less functional? I figure by then, ICS and other options might be available for the Fire, but just not sure how Android works. Don't want to get it if it means that in 6 months half the apps won't run anymore, unless Amazon might issue their own update? Thanks!

chandl90

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
To be honest completely exclude 3.0 from the versions list and you're on the right track. It was tablets only and highly unlikely that the kindle fire would ever get it instead of ICS. There's no real issue with this at all. As of February, 95% of android was on gingerbread (2.3) or lower with only 4% on 3.0 and about 1% on 4.0. In terms of future proof I wouldn't worry at all. To put this in perspective better, 4.0 source code has been out since November. You might not be running the latest and greatest, but almost any app you want will be supported. I have a Droid Eris (released Nov. 09) and it can still run most apps in the market. The kindle fire has the specs to support 4.0 anyways. Hope this helps ya.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Even if the kindle fire were to stay behind firmware wise, we have Amazon app store anyways. They would make sure we can get the apps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

edokid

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Okay that's great thanks. Now if only I could find one lol. I'm in Canada so it's not available here but tons of people have them on CL and Kijiji for like $150-200 but no one replies when you email them it's so weird. Might have to wait until I'm in Miami in a month grr.