1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Root & ICS instuctions

I would like to root my wife's kindle fire & install ICS. Could someone link me to the best root method & best way to install ICS? I've never rooted my phone before so definitely new to this. Thank you in advance.

ROM
    All devices rooted.

Default Re: Root & ICS instuctions

Well if you have never rooted before, it can seem like a lot of work, and you may end up bricking your fire, although there are recovery methods that work in some instances. I don't know about ICS for a rooted Kindle. There are some flashable roms out there that emulate ICS, CM9 comes to mind, but I believe it is lacking at the present time. You can always root and leave it stock, and still gain some benefit from rooting.

You will need to download and install android SDK (Software Development Kit), install ADB (Android Debug Bridge), updated usb drivers, and find a root method for your version of Fire. If you have version 6.3, this is a method that works well, if you have done all the preliminaries. It lists links to everything you need. Be sure to follow instructions to the letter. Click on "show more" for the instructions.

If after you read everything over and you have any doubts, find a techy friend to do it for you. Good luck.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

The KFU (Kindle Fire Utility) is a much easier way to root your Kindle. You don't need to load the massive SDK. It has all the software included. Just read the instructions here:

You will find XDA has a lot of ROMs. I thought CM9 was ICS, but I could be wrong. If you read the ROMs, you will see that all the ICS ROMs are still considered BETA. The Hardware Acceleration, videos and other things may have issues. CM7 is a bit more stable typically.
    yes, that old

ROM
    Codename Android / franco

Great advice @tmn72tx.

@indiane, I would highly, strongly, adamantly recommend you read this before you do anything.
    Galaxy Nexus GSM
    [JB 4.3] [JWR66V] Cataclysm

T-Mobile $30 / 5Gb / 100 min Cellular | CSipSimple + voip.ms VoIP

Kindle Fire
    [JB 4.3] [JSS15J] AOSP for the Kindle Fire
    Thanked by:

Do search on YouTube, they will walk you through it. I did mine and love it. One suggestion, after doing so shut wifi off before putting to sleep, it will save on battery drain. I also rooted my evolution 3d so I can use it for hotspot, works great and I can use my fire anywhere my phone has data.

ROM
    All devices rooted.

Quote Originally Posted by tmn72tx View Post
    The KFU (Kindle Fire Utility) is a much easier way to root your Kindle. You don't need to load the massive SDK. It has all the software included. Just read the instructions here:

You will find XDA has a lot of ROMs. I thought CM9 was ICS, but I could be wrong. If you read the ROMs, you will see that all the ICS ROMs are still considered BETA. The Hardware Acceleration, videos and other things may have issues. CM7 is a bit more stable typically.
    While it is true that the Kindle Fire Utility may do a flawless job of rooting on its own, the ability to use ADB can be crucial down the line if there are troubles. KFU doesn't leave a working ADB on the computer after rooting. It is still a good idea to have the ADB which requires the SDK to install.

Check out the first comment by this author on XDA:

ROM
    All devices rooted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pkt_Lnt View Post
    Great advice @tmn72tx.

@indiane, I would highly, strongly, adamantly recommend you read this before you do anything.
    Thanks so much for this link. Wish I had had this info weeks ago.