KF can't tether onto phone data?

Rice923

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
My KF is rooted with BurritoRoot3 with firmware 6.3 (along with GoLauncher). My phone is on Verizon with unlimited data.

I wanted to tether my phone to the KF so that I can take advantage of my data plan as well as the KF's features, but it never seems to be able to pick up my phone's wifi connection. I've tried using Wifi-Tether as well as barnacle tether, neither of which worked.

Has this ever been done and how should I go about doing this?

Edit: So I found this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1360715&page=2

What I understand is I need a tethering app that supports infrastructure instead of adhoc, which I have (Wifi Tether). I also tried barnacle tether with adhoc. Neither is working still

Edit 2: Found this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1375528

I'll try this out later when I get home to my home wifi. My KF feels so useless without a connection!

Last edited:

Rice923

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been using that version of wifi tether on my verizon droid charge.

Thus far, I've downloaded and installed the adhoc switcher onto my rooted KF. It can now detect my phone's wifi signal in adhoc mode, but it fails to connect to it. I've tried to use no encryption, no access control, but nothing seems to allow the KF to connect to my phone.

I'm so confused:confused:

Edit: finally got it to work! The thread over at XDA had someone mention that the adhoc switcher will automatically detect your network and connect to it (after you input the SSID and WEP key). This was not the case for me. I had to input the SSID and WEP key in the settings, then enable adhoc. After it finished doing its thing, I had to manually connect to my phone's wifi like I would any other wifi signal normally.

Not many people responded to this thread but I hope someone finds it useful later on.

Last edited:

charlibob

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes, not many people seem to respond to calls for help. I think a lot of KF users don't think of it as an android tablet and browse Android Central. This forum really need a "Rooting, Roms, and Hacks" section.

androidcues

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Android wifi tether like in charliebobs post it works really well.

If something like that doesn't work..... check out your phone device history with whatever tether apps you try.... u shud be able to find the best fit.

I've tried wifi tether on all kf roms from stock to ics

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Thunderbolt. Rooted. BAMF Forever 1.09. Running Open Garden WiFi Tether. Was able this morning to share 4G with a stock Kindle Fire. Just regular WiFi connection. No adhoc or anything screwy. Worked perfectly.

Maybe try Open Garden as the tether app?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez