Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Fire threatened by Nexus 7

I bought the original Fire on the first day of release and have loved it dearly.
    I won't go into the specifics, as they are already told HERE.
    I hope the upcoming Fire 2 is better.
    As for me, really, I'm ok with the Fire1...IF it came with pure Android OS.*
    And, even with the bookshelf thingy, if I could make folders and put things on it, I'd be fine with it.
    I hate the way I have to look around for my stuff. And if you smudge a little on the screen, your app moves.
    I've tried an N7 and it's really the bomb.
    Oh well, we'll see how it goes, but if the Fire is to stay lit, they better come out with some superior kindling on Fire2 and at a decent price
    ....or the Fire will get smothered.
    your thoughts?
    *Realizing I could root my device if I wanted and get Jelly bean, but I don't want to and I don't feel like you should have to. But, that's just me.
    Galaxy S4
    Tab 2

rootless

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Fire threatened by Nexus 7

I am with you concerning the Fire. I didn't buy it right away, but when they had reconditioned models on sale for $139 I couldn't resist.

I am generally happy with the Fire's interface. but like you say, an ability to create folders etc would be wonderful. So would limiting the number of items on the carousel.

In ways the Fire interface is a blessing to me, since I don't go through every couple of weeks changing page layouts and trying different organizational methods. So, in an indirect way, it is a time saver.

I really thought I would probably root and load another rom when I got the Fire, but I guess I am weary of playing with interfaces for the sake of playing with interfaces. If I disliked the Fire interface enough, I would probably root, but I am happy the way I am.

It will be interesting to see what the next generation does, but I will probably not be in a rush to buy one... just because I have taken a less aggressive approach to my purchase of new technology in the last few years. But, it definitely will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by droidntn View Post
    As for me, really, I'm ok with the Fire1...IF it came with pure Android OS.*
    That really says it all, you don't want an Amazon device. The entire point of the Fire line up is the Amazon OS. It puts your media where you want it and is simple to use. No other launcher can list books and CDs independently like it does nor do they offer the recent file carousal. Having any other launcher totally negates the entire reason to own the device at all as far as I can see, so just get a Nexus instead. Its kind of like saying I like cars, but the entire driving on the road is a bit lame, why don't they work on the water.

That's just my opinion anyway.

As a side note you don't have to put a new OS on it to get a different launcher. The Go Launcher works on the Kindle. You don't even need to be rooted if you can get the APK file.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

How do I put Go Launcher on my Kindle without root?
    Edit... Found it. Thanks!

Sent from Marx Maxx
    Galaxy S4
    Tab 2

rootless
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I SWEAR TO BOB>>>
    I had no idea that Go Launcher would be this great.
    It's like a whole new toy now.
    I really didn't want to root it, but this thing now works soooo much like the Nexus 7 I had my hands on today.
    I'm sorta in shock.
    Taking some tweaking but..
    I CAN PUT MY JUNK WHERE I WANT IT NOW!!
    And, then go back to the cool looking bookshelf when I want to and read or whatever. Makes the FIRE much more useful, at least to me.
    Plus GoLauncher has some cool things with it.
    And, it's FREE?!
    I'm mortified I missed this.
    Reckon what else I've missed.

Now, help me with getting my Tapatalk on my Fire.
    LOL, honestly, I've paid for it and use it on my phone, but when I try to download it on my Fire, it want's me to pay again.
    I"ll figure it out though.
    Thanks mkiker.
    Galaxy S4
    Tab 2

rootless

I'm not sure of Tapatalk but i've seen the pay again issue on the Fire. The problem being that the Fire is big enough that they have their own versions of things, hence a different APK and a new fee for a "different" app.

As for Go Launcher, I played with it for a month then stopped using it. That's just me however. There's a simple elegance to the Amazon OS that can't be beat. For an Android experience I fire up the Nexus 7. I have three devices all with different OS skins and all seem to be ideal for their need.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yea, maybe I'll get an answer on that Fire pay thing. I posted on their forum.

I'm really enjoying Go Launcher. It makes me try to decide if I NEED/WANT BAD ENOUGH a N7 or some other pad.

I mean, my Maxx meets all of my electronic needs really.
    It's just all bigger and nicer on the KF...which makes it not a 'need', but it is fun.
    I'm just happy to get all my junk on one page/folder in my KF and off those silly bookshelves.

I'd encourage everyone to try it if you hate those shelves.
    Galaxy S4
    Tab 2

rootless

I have the original Fire and the Nexus. I have had Go installed on the Fire since day one. I can't stand the carousel. Since I got the Nexus, I've hardly touched the Fire. I get frustrated with the keyboard on the Fire, and Amazon has so limited the apps, although I can side load most of what I want--but I shouldn't HAVE TO jump thru hoops to get an app on there.

The Nexus is the perfect tablet for me. I can't think of anything I'd change and don't even feel the need for an alternate launcher.

I think the Nexus is a definite threat to the Fire and I'm curious to see what the second gen of the Fire has to offer.

Edited to add: droidntn, try Frostwire. Install on both the Fire and phone and you can transfer apps between devices, if they are compatible with Fire. Last I checked, Frostwire was available from the Amazon app store and compatible with the Fire. You can also move the apk from your phone to computer and from there to the Fire.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2