Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Software upgrade for existing Kindle Fires

I am not very familiar with the way Amazon does software upgrades on the Kindle Fire, but I have a few friends who have them. After all the announcements yesterday, will the existing Fires be updated to the new OS that was show yesterday on the Fire HDs. Is the new Kindle Fire running the same version as the HDs?
    Thanks.

Default Re: Software upgrade for existing Kindle Fires

This was the announcement I was hoping to hear. I even reverted my KF back to stock expecting an announcement so I could try the new software. If they had shown continuing support for the initial kindle fire I would have been impressed and looked more closely at a KF HD 7 for my next 7" tablet. Instead I'm seriously considering a 16gb nexus 7. If the nexus 7 had an SD slot I would have already purchased. Looks like I may have to root my fire again and get things back to running JB/CM10.

A software upgrade to get the original KF up to something current with a better, faster Android underneath would have been nice...

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by muiriddin View Post
    This was the announcement I was hoping to hear. I even reverted my KF back to stock expecting an announcement so I could try the new software. If they had shown continuing support for the initial kindle fire I would have been impressed and looked more closely at a KF HD 7 for my next 7" tablet. Instead I'm seriously considering a 16gb nexus 7. If the nexus 7 had an SD slot I would have already purchased. Looks like I may have to root my fire again and get things back to running JB/CM10.

A software upgrade to get the original KF up to something current with a better, faster Android underneath would have been nice...
    Running JB/CM10 myself and was interested in at least attempting to add the necessary apks/files to run Amazon Instant Video as I am a Prime member now. Came across a thread over at XDA on what files to extract from the Kindle 6.2.2 ROM dump to try and run instant video....worked up through being able to browse their video selection and even being able to add my Amazon account info, but when I attempted to play a video, the app force closes....

Have you had any experience/success in running Instant video on JB/CM10 on your Fire??

I have not gotten as far as you have in that area although I was interested in trying to do so. I have read somewhere that people have gotten the amazon video player working through a regular web browser on the fire. I went looking to see if I had bookmarked that link and did not find it again. Up until recently I wasn't using my fire for video much...