Will this forum be a ghost town soon?

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I am seeing a trend, and even though they haven't been shipped yet (but soon...) There is much less traffic in this forum than the Fire HD forum. I know the fun of new stuff, I have been drawn in at some level, but don't plan to upgrade this year (maybe whatever is the next step in 2013).

I love my stock first generation Fire, and just wanted to leave a message in this forum in case anyone starts to feel lonely. :)

Maybe I will make the jump when the refurbished HD models go on sale for $139... that is what finally made me pull the trigger on the original Fire. But, frankly, since I already have a tablet I am happy with, the HD might have to be on sale for $119 or less before I get tempted.

I appreciate all the early adopters, because they are who drive the innovations, but I have changed my view over the years, and I don't mind skipping over the new technology and only buying every 2 or 3 generations. Sure, I won't have the latest flashy apps and systems, but I have more than what I need, and most of what I want.

Who knows, if I get bored, I may root my Fire, and load a nice ROM, but honestly, that may not happen unless I can dual-boot and get back to the stock Fire interface, but you never know. I have worked in information technology for a few decades so I am prone to bouts of geekiness and the need to dig in deeper... so you never know.

I am just grateful for the options that we have because of the people who do dig in real deep... and if any of you are still around in this forum, please don't abandon us completely... Some of us still appreciate your efforts.

So, there will be at least one of us still hanging out here for the next year... I hope it doesn't get too lonely.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I'm afraid it will. But, don't blame consumers. All of the blame should go to Amazon. I was thinking of buying maybe a KF2. But with ads?? Really?? They think people are so wow'd by KF that they WANT those ads? LOL. When for 50 bucks more you can get a N7 without ads, and have better hardware and a tablet experience rather than that silly bookshelf?
I LOVE Me some Amazon, use it all the time and I love my KF1.
But they just threw water on their Fire with this move.

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Even though I said I wasn't going to but the Fire 2, I did give in to the temptation and went to Best Buy to look at the Fire HD. In fact, I needed a spending fix, and had pretty much decided that I would seriously consider buying it. I picked it up, I played with it, I said to myself "no big deal" and saved myself $200.

I just confirmed to myself that for me the original fire is just fine for now...

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm planning on buying a N7, and giving my Fire to the wife. She reads a lot.
After playing with my coworkers N7, I SEE why it's such a hit. It's pretty awesome.
Big difference is is just went surfing and online usage.
The KF is fine as a reader.

Sent from Marx Maxx

TnTexas

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I LOVE Me some Amazon, use it all the time and I love my KF1. But they just threw water on their Fire with this move.

Probably not for everyone, but they did for me. I may be one of the few, but I actually liked the original Fire's bookshelf UI and was planning to buy one for Christmas. When I saw the layout of the new UI, I went to eBay and bought what's supposed to be an original Fire. (Don't know for certain since it hasn't arrived yet.) That one may not have the processing speed the newer one has, but at least I won't have to look at recommendations all of the time. An ad on the lockscreen I could probably handle. A non-obtrusive link to more specials somewhere on the home screen probably wouldn't bother me much either. But an entire row of recommendations sitting there at the bottom of the screen like they do on the Kindle reading app? No thanks. Having an app's home screen set up that way is one thing since I can close it out and not have to look at it all the time. But having the home screen of my tablet set up that way? Somehow it makes it feel more like Amazon's tablet than mine so no, thanks. That's not the feeling I want to get from something that's mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance