Amazon Fire handling apps & Freetime

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I have the ability to get an Amazon Fire 8gb for my son. He has a nodded Nook Color but it's been used so much that it's wearing out and his mother & I were looking at Free time. My son is young so resolution isn't a big deal its why I feel the HD is a waste especially when I can get a Kindle Fire for $125. It was a store display was all. Still able to get warranty.

Anyways anyone have free time or how does Angry Bird star wars or clouds and sheep or other current games stack up on it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

wkgamer

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Freetime is good but not great. We have discovered that you cannot pass through content that is not purchased. We get eBooks from the library and those books cannot be passed down to the Freetime app which is very disappointing. We also tried this with an eBook borrowed from the Prime lending library and it too was not allowed to be passed through. Perhaps this is on purpose or perhaps this is an oversight with the software. Hopefully this is a bug and it will get fixed; we'll just have to wait and see.

There is a lot of good content with the paid version of Freetime 'unlimited' for children under 9 but as our son is about to turn 10 I don't see keeping the unlimited feature activated. The core features of the software will still come in handy as a tool to limit the amount of time our son can use the device as a gaming platform or movie/video playing device.

If we could pass through borrowed content then we could easily lock the Fire into Freetime mode which would give us better control over our son's use of the device. However, as is stands today we are constantly having to switch modes on the device to allow him access to the borrowed content and then lock it up so he can use Freetime content and limit his access to apps and games.

Overall the Kindle Fire is a great little device and since the screen size is only 7" not having an HD screen is not a problem at all. The Fire's screen seems just as clear as my Asus TF101; it's just smaller. The only real con I can think of is that it doesn't have volume buttons. This isn't a real big deal but sometimes you need the volume turned down quickly and you have to go through a few swipes of the screen to get the volume control displayed so you can change it.

Since you mentioned that you currently have a Nook, I should also add that I was able to load the Nook app onto the Kindle Fire via side-loading. So he can also read his Nook based eBooks as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21