[Guide] [Info] Custom recoveries versus Stock. Is there a difference?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Stock recovery, or Custom recovery? Which should I use? Is there a difference? Does it matter?

For more info on how to reboot into recovery:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-5-rooting-roms-hacks/352008-guide-nexus-5-recovery.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...e-nexus-7-2012-2013-cache-partition-wipe.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...ow-reboot-into-stock-recovery-htc-one-m8.html

Stock%201%20(480x640).jpg

An image of the home screen on a stock recovery.

I am sure many people have asked this time and time again. Here are some basic answers.

[INFO]You can only have one recovery in use at any given moment.[/INFO]

Recovery mode...such a wonderful thing. It can do things that the interface cannot. I have even seen threads where rebooting into recovery helped with a cracked screen that was unresponsive.

Stock%20Wipe%20(480x640).jpg

In one of the menus in recovery mode, specifically wipe cache partition.

Among some things that recovery mode can do is wipe cache, do a factory reset and even apply updates. Custom recoveries can do that and more. They can do a backup of your current ROM (this is the definition of that mystery word called Nandroid), delete the same ROM backup, even options to save it to your internal or external storage, install .zip files and wipe Dalvik cache.

CWM%201%20(480x640).jpg

The home screen in Clockwork Mod. Note the install zip from sd card option.

Custom recoveries are a necessity for flashing Custom ROMs. Many ROMs depend heavily on Custom recoveries because of the important feature of installing .zip files. This additional feature is the crucible upon flashing ROMs. As a caveat, due to flashing a custom recovery, the device in question is void of any OS warranties.

CWM%20Dalvik1%20(480x640).jpg

Step one to wiping Dalvik cache.

CWM%20Dalvik2%20(480x640).jpg

Step two for wiping Dalvik cache

Stock recoveries can even be a necessity for people who have no interest in rooting, or flashing ROMs because of the fact that clearing that phone's cache can often help resolve some issues with devices being sluggish. There are even times when the device goes into a boot loop and rebooting into recovery mode and clearing cache often clears up the boot loop problem. Sure there are cache cleaners on Play. I am not saying they don't work, nor am I saying you shouldn't have them. I do, but clearing in recovery just works better.

CWM%20Backup%20(480x640).jpg

The menu to do a backup, also known as a Nandroid. This is a very important and sometimes missed step in flashing ROMs.

Which to use is a question of if you want to stay stock or not. Even if you want to root, sometimes flashing a custom recovery is part of the rooting process.

[NOTE]Two of the most popular are ClockworkMod aka CWM and TWRP aka Team Win Recovery Project. Most other recoveries that are out there are builds off of one or the other.[/NOTE]

Last edited:

JusDre82

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to back up my Black Nexus 4 ROM and flash it on my White one or would there be any problems?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to back up my Black Nexus 4 ROM and flash it on my White one or would there be any problems?

So long as both are rooted and the exact same model, and carrier.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

JusDre82

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Basically the situation is I have a white Nexus 4 I have updated to 4.3 and I have LTE everything is fine on my phone. My girlfriend has a black Nexus 4 we tried LTE and it's both working. She wants everything that I have on my phone . So what I was thinking was if I backed up my phone and then ported it to her phone and then flashed it. Then do a full wipe. Should LTE and 4.3 work?

LTE is not working on her phone and her phone searches for signal in places mine doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I see no rrason why this wouldn't work, but make a nandroid of hers in case.

Sent a long time ago from a Galaxy Tab 2 far, far away on AC forums

A little late to the party, just come across this - so question

If you accidentally click factory reset instead of cache clearance, are you given another check screen to get back out, or does it start straight away.

I may ask this elsewhere in a few days if not picked up.

Nice article.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

If you accidentally click factory reset instead of cache clearance, are you given another check screen to get back out, or does it start straight away.

Nice article.

**Actually it's fine. I just followed your link to recovery and the answer was there. It's safe to click on Factory reset as there is a failsafe, thanks. **

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Nice article.

I have had both a confirmation message and where it does it after you select it. I would assume the worst, and it will erase after selection.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Nice article.

I know TWRP asks you to confirm before a factory reset. Not sure about CWM, but stock recoveries should as well.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure you have seen this screen before, but I just had a look at what happens on my Galaxy S2 with 4.1.2.
You're right it is very safe on TW.

ejuty4e6.jpg