Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] Nova Launcher

Thanks. Couldn't tap on page to set home page, added another page, then the page I wanted as home could be selected. Got it set and deleted extra page.

I have a Nova Launcher question. Sometimes I manually switch the icons (for example, I didn't like the one in that particular icon pack so I used a different one). Now I am at the point where when I switch to a new icon pack I have to go in an manually change almost every single one. Is there a way I can clear out whatever I did to begin with that changed the "paths" to the icons? I know I am not explaining myself very well, but I am really frustrated by having to change them all myself every time! I am using a Samsung S5. I have tried going back to TouchWiz as my default, then back to Nova, but that didn't help. Is there a work around for this?

Try this. Go to Nova settings - look & feel - icon theme - three dots - reset custom icons. And the apply the icon pack.

Posted via the Android Central App

I got so excited to try that, certain it was the answer, but it didn't work for me. I tired resetting custom icons, then going to system icons, but it still had my custom ones. The I tried clearing and going to a new icon pack, but again, it didn't change anything. Any other ideas?

Reinstall nova, or reset it?

Posted via the Android Central App

If you decide for the reset backup your setup first. The best way could be in Nova settings - advanced - reset.

Global Posts
    31,364 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Nova also has an option to restart the launcher. You can try that. Also perhaps restarting the device. Or even clearing the cache for Nova, in Settings>apps>scroll down to Nova>click clear cache.

Global Posts
    45,873 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

I just got the update.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Just updated to new version. After playing a little bit I think it's visually much nicer, works great and some of the new features are pretty good. Excellent update.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Just got the new update too (4.0 Prime), and overall liking it (plus liking Android 5.1.1 on my N7, finally a Lollipop that doesn't freeze or crash!). But there is one small fly in the ointment, namely the desktop overview screen.

Before it used to be the nice grid showing all screens at once, whereas now it's a horizontally scrolling bar where you have to scroll through to the screen you want and then tap it to go to it. But it's just as much effort as to just swipe-scroll on the desktop itself to go to the relevant screen.

My question is, is there anywhere in the settings that I can go back to the single-page grid overview rather than the ribbon-bar way? I've looked through the settings and can't find anything, although there are so many there now that I might have missed one. Can anyone point me in the right direction there?

Global Posts
    31,364 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by DNHill View Post
    Just got the new update too (4.0 Prime), and overall liking it (plus liking Android 5.1.1 on my N7, finally a Lollipop that doesn't freeze or crash!). But there is one small fly in the ointment, namely the desktop overview screen.

Before it used to be the nice grid showing all screens at once, whereas now it's a horizontally scrolling bar where you have to scroll through to the screen you want and then tap it to go to it. But it's just as much effort as to just swipe-scroll on the desktop itself to go to the relevant screen.

My question is, is there anywhere in the settings that I can go back to the single-page grid overview rather than the ribbon-bar way? I've looked through the settings and can't find anything, although there are so many there now that I might have missed one. Can anyone point me in the right direction there?
    Sorry for the delay. I am guessing they did it to streamline the app. You could email them and ask why.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Thanks - that's probably the best route I guess, will look at it over the weekend.

Would be a bit of a strange streamlining though, as it's doing precisely the opposite. Before with the grid layout and my 9 homescreen set-up I could access any of them with two taps (one to bring the grid and one to select a screen directly) whereas now I have to repeatedly swipe to get to the relevant one.

And indeed having to do the swipe, it rather negates the whole point as I can just swipe on the main screens to achieve the same result with less taps as I don't need to go via the overview window at all...

I didn't understand why so many people were complaining so much about this new Nova overview. Now I get it! Try to swipe right or left between 9 homescreens must be a real pain.

I've got an idea for you. See if it works. Create a folder in the dock so it can be reached from any screen. In it add a shortcut to jump to any of your 9 screens. To do that press & hold on your screen, select widgets, drag Nova actions, tap on "jump to page" and select by number. Once done change the icons to make it nicer, maybe using Simple Text or the calendar icons in your favorite pack.

And there you go. Two clicks away from any of your screens.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Thanks - I'll give that workaround a try. Can maybe use it to reconstruct a grid like the old one. I'm looking at reducing the number of home screens on the tablet anyway, but it's quite useful to have a different screen for each function (mail, video, radio/music, games etc).

Also I'm not sure we can really call the current method an overview any more, as using it takes more effort and taps than just doing it directly on the main screens. It's certainly nice looking, but as you say it's a real pain to use for the job it's supposed to do. The old one was much more functional, if not as pretty. Going back to it (or at least an option to switch between the two) would be very much a positive for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DNHill View Post
    Thanks - I'll give that workaround a try. Can maybe use it to reconstruct a grid like the old one. I'm looking at reducing the number of home screens on the tablet anyway, but it's quite useful to have a different screen for each function (mail, video, radio/music, games etc).
    Welcome! If you create a folder with Nova you can have a 3x3 grid similar to the one you're talking about.

I just received my Galaxy S6 and I no longer have the option for Home Screens under the Desktop selection. Big problem as it only allows me on home screen. HELP!

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Javier P View Post
    Welcome! If you create a folder with Nova you can have a 3x3 grid similar to the one you're talking about.
    Yep, works fine (although Simple Text is a bit of a pain to use, but got it set up). I've jettisoned a screen and replaced the app drawer icon in my dock with the folder (using the app draw icon I moved out to fill the 9th part of the 3x3 grid). Would still be nice if we can have the built-in grid back though, either as a switchable replacement for the scrolling overview, or perhaps an additional button at the bottom of it alongside the wallpaper/widgets/settings ones. But the folder work-around will certainly do for now as a replacement.

Given your comment about hearing a lot of complaints about this I presume you're a dev or similar involved with Nova? Have to say aside from this little niggle it's one of the nicest apps on my tablet and a must-have.
    Javier P likes this.

Glad it worked! No, I'm not a Nova dev, just a big fan

With Simple Text the best thing is if you create your own model, so anytime you use it you don't have to define your preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by travishand View Post
    I just received my Galaxy S6 and I no longer have the option for Home Screens under the Desktop selection. Big problem as it only allows me on home screen. HELP!
    After the latest update you have to press & hold on your homescreen and then you can see the screens overview.

Great guide. I want to copy a couple specific TouchWiz folders to my Nova pages. Is there a way to do that?

I just had to do a factory reset of my Note 10.1 2014

I LOVE Nova, and of course re set it up on the freshly reset Note

One small issue, that I cant seem to figure out, when I choose my wallpaper, it puts it on my screen , with like a white dotted line , almost looks like stitching, around the image. Any idea how to correct this, so I JUST see my image and no white dotted/stitch line?

Here is what I see:
    [GUIDE] Nova Launcher-wallpapernova.jpg

Thanks
    Diane

That's one of the good things about backing up Nova settings and store them elsewhere as there are so many tweaks/features you can choose from. Those are apps scattered all over the place instead of in your app drawer, you can also put your favorite ones in the doc area...but I could be wrong, you need to have the dock feature turned on and a white icon w/ dots should be in the center....when you tap that all your icons show up...you can also determine which you want to hide like wallpapers, etc in the app/widget/drawer settings...If I can figure it out, I'll attach 2 examples from my Note 5 phone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [GUIDE] Nova Launcher-screenshot_20160405-142204.jpg   [GUIDE] Nova Launcher-screenshot_2015-08-26-13-52-30.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    I just had to do a factory reset of my Note 10.1 2014

I LOVE Nova, and of course re set it up on the freshly reset Note

One small issue, that I cant seem to figure out, when I choose my wallpaper, it puts it on my screen , with like a white dotted line , almost looks like stitching, around the image. Any idea how to correct this, so I JUST see my image and no white dotted/stitch line?

Here is what I see:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wallpapernova.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	522.0 KB 
ID:	223522

Thanks
    Diane
    On my phone, I see a dotted line in the center. There's an icon above to turn it on and off. I believe it's a guide to show you now much your desktop will show on a particular screen, or how much will be displayed on a particular home screen (e.g. my phone's home screen).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12