[GUIDE] How to Change Your Font

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
One of the things I like about Android is that I can change the look of things to suit my mood. For me, part of this is changing from the stock system font. Those of you that have Samung, LG, and some others know that you can just head into settings to pick one of the provided font choices. With Samsung devices you can even head on into the Google Play store and download some new ones to add to the existing collection. Cool stuff to personalize your Android coolness!

Well, what about the rest of us? Those that may have a Nexus device or some other Android gadget whose ROM doesn't provide a simple way to change the system fonts? What of us that have rooted are devices and what to use our new power? Well, there's more than one way to skin a cat. One of those ways is to use a font manager. Enter one of my favorites, iFont.
[INFO]Now for all its ease of use there's one caveat, you do indeed have to be rooted to use iFont.[/INFO]

1.png
[NOTE]iFont is indeed free but a small donation will help the developer and get rid of the nags. For me it was definitely worth the $1.50.[/NOTE]

What iFont does is act as a central hub...a nexus if you will (pardon the pun) for fonts. It offers a plethora of choices from the forever silly to the crisp and serious, as a quick scroll through the previews will show.

2.png

Any of the fonts you see in iFont can become the system UI font for your device so you can end up with a different looking view. We'll cover the basics on deploying a new font.

3.png

So, once you open iFont, click on the Online tab, select the language and scroll until you see a font you want. Then click it.

4.png

We're gonna go with Happy Monkey this time. Choose Download and the font will download and then once downloaded
you'll be able to choose Set

5.png

After you choose Set you'll be asked to confirm your choice and told that your device will reboot (to set the new font).
Go ahead and choose OK

6.png

A moment later you'll have your new font in all its glory

7.png

Don't like the way that looks? Rinse and repeat with a different font.
[NOTE]Once you've downloaded the fonts you want you can always go back into iFont, choose, and
set from your list of now local fonts from the Local tab. There's no need to re-download them.[/NOTE]

8.png

All fonted up with places to...

[NOTE]As much as I like using iFont and appreciate how it consolidates all of these different fonts at your fingertips there's something to be said for Samsung's integration of simple font switching directly into TouchWiz. For those that aren't fans of TouchWiz and often knock it, keep that in mind. [/NOTE]
[INFO]There are undoubtedly other great font managers that do the job just as good if not better than iFont. If iFont is not to your liking or if you know of other great font managers let us know in the comments.[/INFO]

Last edited:

Catiebug

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I used this on my old Razr Maxx and it worked like a charm. I can't seem to get it to work fully on my Droid Maxx. It changes some stuff, but other things are the old fonts.