[GUIDE] Using chkdsk to fix a corrupted SD card

adsimages

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
If it's pictures or videos you're after, try Photo Recovery Pro. Recovered all my lost pictures and videos on my cell phones corrupt memory card.

jrodriguez596

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Please help
Untitled.jpg

the sd card stopped working out of the blue and plugged into the computer and could not even format in disk management, it wont appear in disk management

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, that usually means the card died. I don't think you'll be able to use any recovery software if the computer can't even recognize it, but you might want to check with an actual computer repair technician to be sure. Sorry!

subara1836

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
The checkdisk option did not retrieve my jpg and mp4 files. somehow, I do not believe they are physically corrupted. is there any utility that can reliably retrieve them. And what can I do going forward? Should I not use an SD card?

jrodriguez596

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately, that usually means the card died. I don't think you'll be able to use any recovery software if the computer can't even recognize it, but you might want to check with an actual computer repair technician to be sure. Sorry!

Thats unfortunate, this all started when my phone didn't recognize the micro sd carrd. it was a samsung evo class 1 of 64 gb. Which brand of micro sd are the best? if it started with my phone do i have a virus?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Samsung and Sandisk are both highly regarded, but the fact is that consumer SD cards generally use relatively low quality memory chips -- so even the best brands are not immune to occasional corruption. (I've been told this by an acquaintance who works in the industry.) I doubt the corruption is due to a virus.

Ozzynut79

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm stuck. I ran chkdsk and get " the type of file system is EXFAT. CHKDSK is not available for EXFAT drives"

While Google has removed support for SD cards since the release of ICS, some OEMs (namely Samsung) have gone against that and continue to include an SD slot for expandable storage. This is a good thing for many reasons; users can store pictures, movies, music, contacts and/or documents on here and not have to worry about their internal storage being taken up.

Unfortunately, this also leaves room for problems with the SD card, most notably with corruption of the content stored on the cards. Many apps and programs claim to be able to retrieve corrupted information but for the most part, don't help much and require that you have the program set up before any corruption happens.
While I don't guarantee that this guide will help you retrieve any personal information, you might be lucky and at least save some of what was lost, and prevent any more corruption from happening. I have used chkdsk before and was able to retrieve several pictures and a couple hundred songs :D

Now before we get started, you'll need a couple of things; the corrupted SD card, and a computer running Windows. (I'm using Windows 7 for this demonstration)

Ok, ready? Let's start
First off, you'll need to go to the start menu on the bottom left of your computer screen
Click on that and there will be a search bar. Type in the word "cmd" and hit enter
You should see something named "cmd. exe" under a list of programs
Right click that and hit "Run as Administrator" as is shown below
View attachment 103570

This will open a command windows that will allow you to do a plethora of things, but most importantly, fix our SD card :)
The window will look something like this:
View attachment 103571

Now before you insert the SD card, make sure the card isn't write protected as this will prevent the program from having access to the card
[NOTE] This is only if you are using an SD card adapter for your micro SD. If your desktop/laptop have a microSD slot, you do not need to do this [/NOTE]

Look at your SD card, on the side there will be a "switch." Make sure it is as far up as it can go (The letters on the card should be readable, not upside down)
Once you have checked for this, you can insert the card into your PC's card slot
Doing this will open a window on your PC, showing the name of the card and asking if you want to open it or transfer any files to and from the card. Close out of the window
Now go back to the start menu and open "My Computer." There will be a list labeled "Devices with removable storage" under which you will find your SD card and the drive letter. You'll need the letter for when we use the chkdsk command.
View attachment 103575

In my case, the SD card has the driver letter "H:"
Your letter may be different, so make sure that you type in your specific one.

Now you will go back to the command window and type in "chkdsk" then your card's drive letter, followed by a colon and /f
It should now look something like this:
View attachment 103576

After this is typed in, hit enter and wait for the program to go to work and find then fix any corruption on the card. This can take a few minutes, depending on the amount of corruption and on the storage size of the card
When it is done, you should see this in your command window:
View attachment 103577

In this example I have no corruption, so the wait time was very short and I didn't get any reports of data being retrieved or fixed.
Cards with corrupted data will get any recovered data stored in the directory lost.dir in the SD card's list of folders
Now we're all done :)
Hopefully this helped out some of you with the recovery of any info and/or with preventing any further corruption.
I also recommend reformatting the SD card once you use it again as it will do so in the appropriate format for your specific device.

tripper511

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Holy crap it worked! It too a couple of seconds to run then a windowed popped up showing me all my files!! Yay, now I can back everything up before I format it.

Elegio

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
Stuck here !

I archieved going from a RAW micro sd card 64go to a exFAT. But it still reads as a corrupted card and in windowss i can't browse it.

If i try to format it the old way, i shows an access denied.

In chkdsk, chkdsk f: f/ says that an error occured while examining files and directories. From there it does nothing. It's stuck.

In diskpart, clean meets an error: impossible to satisfy the demand in reason of an error of peripheral Entry/Exit. For more information, see the diary/log of events system. I don't know where it is.
If I try to format, its stucks on 0%.

Sorry if there it isn't clear, the error are translated from french.

If there is no other methods from windows, can someone recommand a software to format the micro sd card? I don't care for what's on it

Sypheron

Jul 31, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately, 'sometimes' Samsung phones destroy microSD cards beyond repair. I've had 3 go all corrupt on me already. No fix whatsoever helps. I'm able to get 90% of the data off by just copying it (the other files will stall while copying and then the copying process will 'crash'). But I am able to continue with the next picture until it stops again. I just keep going like that for an hour or two to make sure most of my pictures are safe.
Tried chkdsk, formatting, changing driveletters, third party recovery software etc. Nothing helps. It's absolutely and completely corrupt and broken. So now I am on my 4th microSD.

Never again a Samsung phone for me, especially since it absolutely lacks in support or even response by Samsung on this issue, while there's been plenty of reports of this going back to the earlier versions of the galaxy S series.

jjazzfusion

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
I have a 64GB Samsung micro SD, with which I am able to view listen to most of the files, but I cannot move or copy some of them. The card is write protected, and nothing is able to remove the write protection. I've tried command prompt, diskpart regedit etc.,When connected to the computer via a USB card reader, it gives me a message "There is a problem with this drive. Scan this drive now to fix it" but when I proceed to do it, the write protection message pops. I've tried every type of data recovery software there is without any success, At least with Windows Explorer I am able to get at least some of the files back. The card is in exFAT format. Anyone out there have any advice? How can I successfully remove the write protection, WITHOUT FORMATTING THE CARD (if that is even possible) and run the recovery software again to try to recover my pictures, videos and audio files? Thank you in advance!

pop3bean

May 10, 2018
Visit site
Hello, I have a 32gb sd card that my android says is corrupted. I tried doing the cmd command to fix it, but it doesn't seem to be working... sd snip.PNG Everytime I run it, it gets stuck like that. I've already tried fixing it normally on windows, and gotten everything important off of it, but I'm still unable to format it on my pc since my android doesn't want to. I couldn't care less about what's left on there, just need the sd card to work. Is there any hope?

skyrail

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
so i have a galaxy s5, with a 128gb sandisk micro sd card.
out of the blue today it says "blank sd card"
i cant mount it, it only asks to format it(the phone does that is).

would this help me recover this card so i can read it again and not lose any data?

I am just dealing with de same problem (same device same card)
I first tried to copy all data to my pc, using Supercopier, to make sure I can restore my sd card content from a backup. I have a bunch of 20 corrupted files which prevent copy to carry on with next files.
The message: Copying myfile : Échec de la requête en raison d’une grave erreur matérielle de l’appareil.
When trying to copy this file, the program stop in the progression and eject usb card reader. Have to re-connect it and copy next file, not this one. A jpg may be partially copied and half readable,
The rest of my files looks ok and readable, at list some zip and most of pictures, photos larger than 5 Mo and big mp4 I tested manually.

also does anyone know of any good "auto backup of pictures and music" software? ive heard of kies but not too sure about it. i just want something i can plug into my mac and let it download all the photos and music automatically, over wifi woudl be nice as well. hey like itunes and iphoto! lol.
thank you in advance!!

Syncthing is a good solution for file synchronization, working over wifi.
SMBSync is another one, based on samba protocol, easier to use, less automatic.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm trying to fix my corrupt SD card in my Android phone but don't have access to a computer,can I fix this from my Android phone?
Hi, welcome to AC!

If you don't have access to computer and it's not 100% you could fix it just get another one .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci