Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree13Likes

Default Re: [Guide][Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN

Hi,

I own a samsung galaxy mini 2 and i decided to install CyanogenMod 11 on it. As I'm not a pro at these things, I did my research on Google on how to flash CM 11 but I seemed to stumble on the very first step. Most tutorials recommended ClockworkMod so I flashed it on my device using Odin 3.07. After flashing cwm-6.0.3.3-b2-jena.tar, I couldn't go into recovery mode anymore. When I press the volume up + down + home + power buttons I get the Samsung logo on the screen with that yellow triangle and it just stays like that and the only thing I can do is to take the battery out.
    What can I do now?

Posted via Android Central App
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #77  

Global Posts
    13,864 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by croftgirl View Post
    Hi,

I own a samsung galaxy mini 2 and i decided to install CyanogenMod 11 on it. As I'm not a pro at these things, I did my research on Google on how to flash CM 11 but I seemed to stumble on the very first step. Most tutorials recommended ClockworkMod so I flashed it on my device using Odin 3.07. After flashing cwm-6.0.3.3-b2-jena.tar, I couldn't go into recovery mode anymore. When I press the volume up + down + home + power buttons I get the Samsung logo on the screen with that yellow triangle and it just stays like that and the only thing I can do is to take the battery out.
    What can I do now?

Posted via Android Central App
    Pull the battery out and try again.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Took the battery out. Still can't get into recovery mode
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #79  

Global Posts
    13,864 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Took the battery out. Still can't get into recovery mode
    Ok. Try getting back into Download mode (volume down instead of up) and try to flash the recovery again. I would double check to make sure it is the one you need. You should be able to reflash the stock recovery. Or push comes to shove, reflash the stock ROM.

You are rooted, correct?

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3

I'm not rooted. Would that be a problem?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #81  

Global Posts
    13,864 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

I'm not rooted. Would that be a problem?
    Most likely. I would reflash a stock ROM with Odin, root, then install cwm.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

Please help!! I did everything step by step but odin came up with FAIL. now my phone says Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in kies & try again. I've updated my drivers, changed usb ports. my phone is completely useless and I've been working at this for over 5 hours now.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #83  

Global Posts
    13,864 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Celiena22 View Post
    Please help!! I did everything step by step but odin came up with FAIL. now my phone says Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in kies & try again. I've updated my drivers, changed usb ports. my phone is completely useless and I've been working at this for over 5 hours now.
    I would try to download the file again, and reflash.

Golfdriver97 I really DO LOVE YOU!! I am a terrified newbie who has spent DAYS reading and anguishing about starting this process. I have rooted 2 devices and felt almost as leary to begin as I did this process. I was really unhappy with my Samsung Note 8 (GT-N5110) being stuck on Android 4.1.2 when lots of other countries have got the upgrade to 4.2.2. I just followed your guide and it was perfect! I can't thank you enough. It was comforting to see a step by step instruction posted with pics to boot! Thanks again!!!
    Samsung Note 3 Android 4.4.2///Samsung Note 8 Android 4.2.2 N-5110 rooted///Samsung S3 i747, Android 4.1.1
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #85  

Global Posts
    13,864 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by macbook5 View Post
    Golfdriver97 I really DO LOVE YOU!! I am a terrified newbie who has spent DAYS reading and anguishing about starting this process. I have rooted 2 devices and felt almost as leary to begin as I did this process. I was really unhappy with my Samsung Note 8 (GT-N5110) being stuck on Android 4.1.2 when lots of other countries have got the upgrade to 4.2.2. I just followed your guide and it was perfect! I can't thank you enough. It was comforting to see a step by step instruction posted with pics to boot! Thanks again!!!
    Glad it helped. Thanks for the shout out. See you around the forums.

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    In the event you think your stock ROM is faulty, or you want to flash back to a previous version on your Samsung device, here is how.

[INFO]This is for Samsung devices, and a general guide at that. Some carriers may have more detailed steps that need to be taken. I cannot guarantee how well this will work for every device.[/INFO]

thanks for the great simple easy to follow guide! just a few questions please.
    I have a Galaxy Note 8.0 model GT-N5110 WIFI i just rooted last night using CF-Auto-Root and it went well so im rooted now. Im in Canada and we only have 4.1 available to us so i am on official firmware 4.1 and rooted. i would like to upgrade to 4.2 just so i can move apps to ext SD Card because im running out of storage. i have installed currently busy box, super su, multiwindow mangager, and xposed framework.

for me to upgrade to 4.2 what do i have to do? thanks in advance.

[NOTE]The things you will need:

- Download and install ODIN
    - A program called 7Zip
    - A copy of your stock ROM in question.[/NOTE]

Odin is a program that can utilize the MD5 file to install ROMs to your device. MD5 files can be anything from recoveries, modems, and even ROMs.

First, one of the things that may need to be done is to update your device drivers. You can do this one of two ways.
    -You can search the net for your updated drivers. Download and then install to your PC.
    -Or you can download or update Kies. Part of those processes are to install or update drivers.

Once drivers are installed, a restart of your PC may be required. In fact, I would highly suggest it.

Second, is downloading and installing 7Zip. 7Zip is a file extraction program, that unzips compressed files. Windows has a file compression and decompression program as well. Depending on where you get your file from, having both is handy in case one works and the other does not.

Third, Your copy of your stock ROM. This will be the compressed file you downloaded. You will need to extract it. The best thing to do is create a file on your desktop. This will make the extracted file easier to find. Once created, you can right click on the downloaded file and click Extract. Either program will ask where to extract to. Click on the small box with the 3 dots and navigate to your desktop and locate your newly created file.

Next, you will need to download and install ODIN.
    [TIP]Once done, you should start it by right clicking and 'Open as Administrator'. This option works best for using ODIN in general.[/TIP]

Attachment 82627
    This is ODIN just after the program has been launched.

The MD5 file would go into the PDA box. Sounds weird, I agree, but the PDA box will be your best friend. You don't need to worry about any other Boxes.

Attachment 82680
    This is the PDA box that will be needed to flash any file.

Once the file is in the box, you would now need to turn off your device, and reboot into Download Mode by holding volume Down and power (If using the Galaxy S3 and 4, Home will also have to be held).

Attachment 82676
    This is the first step to getting to Download Mode.

Attachment 82678
    This is what Download Mode actually looks like.

Once in Download Mode, you can plug in your device. You will need to wait several minutes, as ODIN, your PC, and the device all talk to each other.
    After some time has passed, upward of several minutes, you should see a box that is colored and has a type, and a number: Ex: 'COM:6' That means your PC recognizes the device and everything should be ready to go. The number is irrelevant.

Attachment 82675
    Note the COM:3, and the MD5 file in the PDA box. Now, to begin, just click Start.

[WARN]At this point, DO NOT remove your device until ODIN says finished, or if something goes wrong, it will say failed.[/WARN]

Attachment 82909
    ODIN flashing has begun.

When ODIN is done, you should see a box that will say reset or passed (depending on which version you have, you may see either or both.). At this point it is ok to remove your device.

Attachment 82910
    ODIN fishing up it's process. Testing the reset.

Attachment 82913
    ODIN has completed the flash, and by now, the device should be going through the reboot screen.

Any problems, try these few things: Update Drivers, and restart your PC; Different cables; Different USB ports.

Other solutions may include redownloading the file.

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

on official firmware 4.1.2 note 8.0 gt-n5110 just rooted using cf-auto-root. want to upgrade to 4.2 so i can move apps to ext sd-card. i currently have xposed frame work, busybox, multiwindow and super su installed? can i still use your guide? or are there different steps i have to take to upgrade my official 4.1 (rooted) to official 4.2?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #88  

Global Posts
    13,864 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by CMZ_DL View Post
    on official firmware 4.1.2 note 8.0 gt-n5110 just rooted using cf-auto-root. want to upgrade to 4.2 so i can move apps to ext sd-card. i currently have xposed frame work, busybox, multiwindow and super su installed? can i still use your guide? or are there different steps i have to take to upgrade my official 4.1 (rooted) to official 4.2?
    Only if there is an official 4.2 ROM for that device.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Only if there is an official 4.2 ROM for that device.

From a Liquid Nexus 5
    I'm new to this. I've found a site sammobile.com are these official firmwares? If they are and I use this through Odin will I loose all my current apps? Do I have to triangle away or unroot prior to upgrading to 4.2?

I can't answer if you will lose your current apps. I thought I'd mention that I used Triangle Away to reset flash counter, then unrooted using Super SU, and removed any root necessary apps. I then flashed a rom I downloaded from and picked the one with 4.2.2 firmware and region BTU which is from the UK as I of course wanted English. Then I put it in a folder on my pc desktop after it finished downloading and unzipped to that folder. Follow Golfdriver97's excellent instructions and when you are finished you will be on 4.2.2. I just checked my flash counter and it says "no". So that is good. I may still root again but this time will use Saferoot as it doesn't trip the flash counter either I am told.

- - - Updated - - -

I should have mentioned that I don't think I lost any apps when I did the above.
    Samsung Note 3 Android 4.4.2///Samsung Note 8 Android 4.2.2 N-5110 rooted///Samsung S3 i747, Android 4.1.1
    Thanked by:
    CMZ_DL 
    CMZ_DL likes this.

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by macbook5 View Post
    I can't answer if you will lose your current apps. I thought I'd mention that I used Triangle Away to reset flash counter, then unrooted using Super SU, and removed any root necessary apps. I then flashed a rom I downloaded from and picked the one with 4.2.2 firmware and region BTU which is from the UK as I of course wanted English. Then I put it in a folder on my pc desktop after it finished downloading and unzipped to that folder. Follow Golfdriver97's excellent instructions and when you are finished you will be on 4.2.2. I just checked my flash counter and it says "no". So that is good. I may still root again but this time will use Saferoot as it doesn't trip the flash counter either I am told.

- - - Updated - - -

I should have mentioned that I don't think I lost any apps when I did the above.
    If you don't mind you think you could explain to me how to unroot using super su and removing root apps? I'm new to Android - Note 8 my first Android device. I'm familiar with blackberry and apple devices and computers this is a new world for me. Your help would be gladly appreciated.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #92  

Global Posts
    13,864 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Reflashing a stock ROM should fully unroot you. All of your apps will be gone, and it will be like starting the device all over again.

If you don't mind you think you could explain to me how to unroot using super su and removing root apps? I'm new to Android - Note 8 my first Android device. I'm familiar with blackberry and apple devices and computers this is a new world for me. Your help would be gladly appreciated.
    So Golfdriver97 says your apps will be gone. That answers that. Have you downloaded and installed Kies from Samsung. Kies is their program for backing up and restoring devices and also for moving music, movies, etc to your device. I don't use it cause it doesn't transfer my iTunes playlists. I use iSyncr (I use the mac version but there are both in the play store). It is an awesome app. I just go into iTunes, and I make up playlists with movies I want transferred to my N8 and then use iSyncr to 'sync' it to the N8. There is another app made by the same people as iSyncr and it is called Cheetah. It is great for transferring documents, pics etc. You might be able to use iSyncr for pics too, I can't remember off hand.
    Oh and by the way, if you are downloading the firmware file I mentioned in a post above for 4.2.2 it took me hours for it to download cause I don't belong to whatever service was hosting the files. I started it and went to bed. It was done at some point overnight.

I've had more than one iPad and really prefer my Samsung tablet. It is very different than iPad but very customizable. I also used to have an iPhone and switched to Android, namely Samsung Galaxy S3 to start, and last October I got the Note 3. Very customizable. Apple devices are not which is why I don't prefer them. Their app icons are so kindergartenish. I'm now a big android fan for the past year and a half.
    Thanked by:
    CMZ_DL 

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Thanks for the tip. I'm not an iPhone person myself. Could you tell me how you unroot with Super Su and remove apps that need root. I'm new to all of this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #95  

Global Posts
    13,864 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Thanks for the tip. I'm not an iPhone person myself. Could you tell me how you unroot with Super Su and remove apps that need root. I'm new to all of this.
    Backing up a moment: Both Sammobile and Samsung Updates have libraries of official Stock ROMs. Recently, Samsung Updates made changes to their site where a free download now takes minimum 3 hours (at least for me and I have 25 mb/s down) and I, personally, find this unreasonable. Sammobile still takes a while (about an hour) but I do understand throttling that speed, even to a degree, for free use.

Now, to your question: There should be a full unroot option in settings of Super SU. Reflashing a stock ROM should also remove root access.

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Golfdriver97, thanks for the excellent tut! Clear and concise really made a first time rooter like me brave enough to flash a newer OS to my Note 8.0.
    macbook5 thanks for your support also everything worked out great without a fault. Best part is all my apps stayed!!! I know have that coveted desire to move my apps to SD Card - FINALY!!!
    On first reboot Super Su nowhere to be found. Play store seemed broken couldnt connect for its life and google keyboard also kept crashing and lagging up the system. Yes i was in deep panic so i rebooted again with problem still persisting. ultimately i uninstalled Google Keyboard tried play store again and voila play store worked and was able to re-download google Keyboard.

SuperSu also didnt install so downloaded from play store. i still couldnt get Super Su to work it kept crashing on me. My guess is that when i re-rooted to flash 4.2 some of SuperSu installed but not all? Anyway went through settings on super su and uninstalled through super su. Once that uninstalled itself i reinstalled through play store and now it works.

Side note i really liked having any app to run in multiwindow so i downloaded multiwindow manager from playstore and that require xposed framework and another module so installed that also. as i was setting up multiwindow manager it asked to patch a system file so i pressed next once it asked me to confirm my tab model i was only shown GT-N5100. Here i hesitated because i was afraid to "brick" my device. I emailed developer through the address provided in the play store and i received a reply. He sent me a link to another version through a dropbox link. So now i have an appropriate multiwindow manager for my actual model which is GT-N5110 (WiFi)
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #97  

Global Posts
    13,864 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Golfdriver97, thanks for the excellent tut! Clear and concise really made a first time rooter like me brave enough to flash a newer OS to my Note 8.0.
    macbook5 thanks for your support also everything worked out great without a fault. Best part is all my apps stayed!!! I know have that coveted desire to move my apps to SD Card - FINALY!!!
    On first reboot Super Su nowhere to be found. Play store seemed broken couldnt connect for its life and google keyboard also kept crashing and lagging up the system. Yes i was in deep panic so i rebooted again with problem still persisting. ultimately i uninstalled Google Keyboard tried play store again and voila play store worked and was able to re-download google Keyboard.

SuperSu also didnt install so downloaded from play store. i still couldnt get Super Su to work it kept crashing on me. My guess is that when i re-rooted to flash 4.2 some of SuperSu installed but not all? Anyway went through settings on super su and uninstalled through super su. Once that uninstalled itself i reinstalled through play store and now it works.

Side note i really liked having any app to run in multiwindow so i downloaded multiwindow manager from playstore and that require xposed framework and another module so installed that also. as i was setting up multiwindow manager it asked to patch a system file so i pressed next once it asked me to confirm my tab model i was only shown GT-N5100. Here i hesitated because i was afraid to "brick" my device. I emailed developer through the address provided in the play store and i received a reply. He sent me a link to another version through a dropbox link. So now i have an appropriate multiwindow manager for my actual model which is GT-N5110 (WiFi)
    Sorry I have been away for the better part of the day. Busy at work. Glad you got everything taken care of.
    Do you have any questions about Xposed?

From a Liquid Nexus 5

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234