[GUIDE] Troubleshooting Wi-Fi Connection Problems

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I figured I'd jump on the bandwagon here to see if anyone has a clue what else I could try to get my phone (a BLU with Android 4.2.1.) to connect to my WIFI. I've had the "avoided poor internet connection" with my last android phone--like this one, it originally connected fine but after 2 weeks decided the connection was "poor"--and entering a static IP helped back then. Now it actually gets the phone to say "connected"--but it stil refuses to open any websites.

In short: I've tried all the tips here--they still lead to "avoided poor internet connection". Entering a static IP avoids that and leads to the phone saying "connected"--but it still won't get me on the internet. (Is there any way to access the dhcp-folder from my computer, so I can delete it? It doesn't show on my android).

Thanks!

Welcome to Android Central! Sorry for the delayed response. Does this occur on any wi-fi network, or have you only tried it on your home network?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi.. My moto g can not detect office WiFi.. At 1st day it's connected but at 2nd day it doesn't showing WiFi name.. Even in saved n/w it doesn't appear.. Plz help I have tried all the options.

Sorry for the delayed response. Is it only the work wi-fi that doesn't show up? Does the phone detect other wi-fi networks without difficulty?

Deepak Agrawal

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I live in a hostel where login based public wifi is provided.

I have a samsung S3 which connects to the wifi even at peak hours of traffic and gives full speed.

While when I connect through my laptop's wifi which is relatively newer than S3, it barely gives any speed, even googling is not possible. But at non peak hours when there is less traffic, sometimes it gives decent speed.

Recently I bought oneplus2 whose wifi performance is similar to my laptop's wifi performance.

All the above devices are able to connect to the wifi with atleast 3 out of 5 bars. I don't understand why when S3 gives proper speed, at the same time other device's wifi fail to perform which are relatively new. These new device's wifi should atleast perform similar to S3, if not better.

I don't have control over router's config as it is managed by hostel management. I am attaching screenshot of the Xirrus wifi inspector which gives the details about the router.

xirrus.png

Please suggest if there is anything that I can do to improve the wifi performance on those devices.
Thanks in advance!!

bilal kabeer

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
I had a similar problem . note3 wasnt connecting to home wifi so i upgraded it to lollipop. Then it wasnt connecting to any wifi. Subsequently i just installed wifi doctor from playstore adn ran it once . It worked like a charm. Now i connects to everything. i am not an expert at these things so not sure if the app fixed it or it just got fixed on its own

John Pike1

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi > Advanced > Turn OFF "Passpoint" did the trick.. None of the reset instructions for the router, WAN or anything else had any effect.
This was one a brand new Samsung TAB. We set it up at home and it worked fine. We took it out to a restaurant and it worked fine. When we got home, it would not detect any WAN. It just keep scanning and the home WAN we had setup stated it could not find the connection even when I put the TAB right next to the WAN base. Once I went to "Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi > Advanced > Turn OFF "Passpoint"", it started working perfectly again and was able to "see" all the WANs around my house.

Sagar Shrestha1

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
My tablet over. 4.2.2 has the WiFi problem that the WiFi signal notification keeps grey. I can surf internet but is really slow. The WiFi fixing apps aren't doing much.

anolib

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
hi

i am experiencing a problem with my note 4. when i am trying to connect to wifi i have this problem : " failed to obtaining ip adress" i have been having it for 3 days. i have rebooted my phone and wifi router but it didnt work. but after the night i waked up yesterday connected to the wifi but lost connection after 2 hours and was back at the same problem cant connect to the wifi. i have searched for many fixes but didnt find any usefull one. i tried to put wifi on static and change ip adress i was able to connect to the wifi then but without internet connection. and when i put it back to DHCP i have the same problem with not obtaining IP adress. pls i need to fix this problems i cant stay 24/7 on my mobile data

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
New Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 fixed the WiFi issues with my phone so far testing it for a hour as I just got it no buffering on streaming.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Andrew86

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Hey, my Galaxy S4 will show that it is connected to my home wifi but the Internet won't work and when I go to my available networks it says the network is connected but turned off. The internet is working on my computer and I thought it may be some type of wifi issue but I have a friend in nc who just told me she's having the same problem. Any ideas? I've tried rebooting, taking the battery out, turning off data. It will connect then scan then connect then while connected says the wifi is turned off.

Ananda Chandilyan

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
My issue is unique or rather weird.

I got a new 6P. When I turn on W-Fi, it detects all nearby connections except my home wi-fi. All other devices at home are still connected to my home wifi at home. What could be the reason? What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

masegal

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Changing the channel finally worked! 1 kindle and 1 zenpad would only connect intermittently. Changed channel to 6, recommended by kindle, and they're fine. Before with auto, I guess they wouldn't connect if the channel was greater than a certain number.

colleend01

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I have an lg G3. The marshmallow android update messed up my wifi. I don't have all of the functions in the advanced wifi settings to get to change the frequency. (Which I'm not sure what to do from here) I have tried many different things (hard reboot, sending phone in, forget networks, pull battery out. I had my internet provider ping my router, and they say it's working fine, plus everyone else with different phones don't have this issue .) any new suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have an lg G3. The marshmallow android update messed up my wifi. I don't have all of the functions in the advanced wifi settings to get to change the frequency. (Which I'm not sure what to do from here) I have tried many different things (hard reboot, sending phone in, forget networks, pull battery out. I had my internet provider ping my router, and they say it's working fine, plus everyone else with different phones don't have this issue .) any new suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to Android Central, and sorry for the late response! The first thing to do is to reboot your router by unplugging its power, waiting 10 seconds, then plugging it back in again.

If that doesn't help, then the way to change the wi-fi channel is through your router's settings, not the phone's wi-fi settings. Read your router's manual to learn how to log into its settings menu and change the wi-fi channel.

louisville10

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi there,
my instagram or snapchat will not refresh unless i turn off my wifi and use my data. what's interesting is this has only started happening since we bought a laptop;meaning that another appliance was added to the wifi.im not great at technology but I have tried most things suggested above such as rebooting router, turning off Qos, etc to no avail.
Any help would be much appreciated

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Make sure the DHCP range is wide (i.e., make sure there are enough IP addresses for all of the devices in your home network). Usually, the range is something like 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.255, which means there are 255 possible addresses.

louisville10

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
I also forgot to mention that sometimes, for brief periods of about 10 mins, snapchat and instagram will work with the wifi. usually this is when al the other appliances in the house are not using wifi. maybe the connection is not strong enough, not sure.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This could still be due to a DHCP range that is too narrow, because multiple devices may be competing for too few IP addresses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress