Taking requests...

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a request for a guide? If so, drop it here.

While we cannot guarantee that the request will be fulfilled, as the Ambassador Team Leader I will certainly look at all suggestions.

Suggestions to start them off:

-Updating older guides
-App reviews
-Aspects of the Operating System.

Don't be shy, we want to hear from you!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Why it's a false economy to invest in some 'no-name' devices (phone / tablet) with low specs, rather than an older/used mid spec device from a major OEM.

To include the minimum specs recommended for the latest apps, and why you may be caught short of app space.

For some world regions these are all that are obtainable of course, so also if Google and Play Store be added to some and how.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
We've seen some people coming here because they think their phone has been hacked, or they're being stalked or spied. So my request is for a guide about what to do in such situation.

At the same time would be nice to have kind of an "official" statement from the moderation for those creeps that, now and then, come here looking for help to spy other people's phones. When I see that sort of threads I need to refrain myself of posting what I really think of them.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
We've seen some people coming here because they think their phone has been hacked, or they're being stalked or spied. So my request is for a guide about what to do in such situation.

Will look into this as well. As I am not familiar on how to counter the possibility, this one might take some time to create.

At the same time would be nice to have kind of an "official" statement from the moderation for those creeps that, now and then, come here looking for help to spy other people's phones. When I see that sort of threads I need to refrain myself of posting what I really think of them.
I passed this request to the Moderator Team Leader for review.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

While I agree its a good topic to touch on for people interested in tips, suggestions or warning signs they have been hacked or have spying software used to access or view content on ones device it is a very touchy area to go into. I have always maintained even going back to my Ambassador days that we don't discuss any methods on installing it or using this stuff. We often have married couples, boyfriends or girlfriends coming here asking how can I spy on my partners phone text msgs or other things and I will not allow any discussion of that type. Yes programs exist, yes hacks exist but that isn't what this community is about. We do get questions from parents asking similar things and in response to that I always recommend they check with their carrier service as most provide for a small additional monthly fee some sort of parental control or GPS tracking software to keep tabs on their children. However again we never discuss any 3rd party apps or methods to hack a device to read their FB messages, texts, etc.

So I guess what I'm saying is if we were to put together a small guide to give some warning signs or general tips to watch for to signify your a victim of hacking or spying software that is okay. Beyond that I can speak on behalf of Android Central and Mobile Nations and say if you feel you have any of the suggested warning signs to contact your carrier or local law enforcement to discuss your options.

Paul
Mod Team Leader @ AC.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Paul, I really appreciate your answer. Even meaning an implicit and very educated "no" to both my questions :)

I completely understand your points and I agree with most what you said.

(...)
So I guess what I'm saying is if we were to put together a small guide to give some warning signs or general tips to watch for to signify your a victim of hacking or spying software that is okay.

Beyond that I can speak on behalf of Android Central and Mobile Nations and say if you feel you have any of the suggested warning signs to contact your carrier or local law enforcement to discuss your options.

Paul
Mod Team Leader @ AC.

I think I didn't explain my point very clearly. I'm not worried of being spied. It's not personal, not in that sense. I was thinking in that kind of warning tips guide that you mentioned plus some tips about a safe factory reset, change passwords and such.

I've participated in a couple of threads where we tried to help some people convinced that they were being spied. My idea was that someone with this knowledge could put together all those tips (contacting the police being one of them). I wish I could have that knowledge (and wouldn't think twice to write that kind of guide) but I don't.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thank you Paul, I really appreciate your answer. Even meaning an implicit and very educated "no" to both my questions :)

I completely understand your points and I agree with most what you said.

I think I didn't explain my point very clearly. I'm not worried of being spied. It's not personal, not in that sense. I was thinking in that kind of warning tips guide that you mentioned plus some tips about a safe factory reset, change passwords and such.

I've participated in a couple of threads where we tried to help some people convinced that they were being spied. My idea was that someone with this knowledge could put together all those tips (contacting the police being one of them). I wish I could have that knowledge (and wouldn't think twice to write that kind of guide) but I don't.
Oh I think a good warning " tip " guide would be a great thing to have. Many are uncertain of what they should watch for or have no clue what so ever. I would fully support a guide giving some information on what to watch for and how to respond as you said a full factory reset, change of passwords, etc.

Along the lines of being spied on but not quite, what to do if your phone gets lost or stolen.
Same response as above. I will be more than happy to look over and support the Ambassador team in a guide meeting these basic needs, even with helpful links to official carrier support, etc.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Did Rukbat not write a guide to how apps are/not stored on an sd card, and why device storage will still run out.
There have been many long posts explaining this in detail, but a link to a short guide would be helpful.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Did Rukbat not write a guide to how apps are/not stored on an sd card, and why device storage will still run out.
There have been many long posts explaining this in detail, but a link to a short guide would be helpful.

I think he touched on that a little in a guide, but it's not a guide in and of itself. I will try to look for it. If I can't find anything, one can get created.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

PalZer0

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Guides for switching from iOS/Blackberry/Windows Phone to Android. Windows Phone in particular since Google don't even have a guide on their support site.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Guides for switching from iOS/Blackberry/Windows Phone to Android

I actually have a plan to update the outdated guides for at least iOS and Windows. As for Blackberry, no one on my team has used that platform in quite some time.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
How about an explanation of the various movement sensors, why your phone may not have them all, and what that means.

I'm guessing the current spate of how - to blogs (recently spotted and reported in my area) covering different aspects of using your device, might get around to this one.

Not a bad idea. Will take this into consideration.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
How about an explanation of the various movement sensors, why your phone may not have them all, and what that means.

I'm guessing the current spate of how - to blogs (recently spotted and reported in my area) covering different aspects of using your device, might get around to this one.
I'll get working on that... Good suggestion.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol