Optimizing Gingerbread rather than doing CM?

pstjmack

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I have a ZTE Skate/Orange Monte Carlo, running Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread. Since ZTE's update policy is non-existent, I'm likely stuck with this unless I go the CyanogenMod route. However, I installed Holo Launcher, and it gives so much of the ICS good stuff that I'm wondering whether I should just stick to Gingerbread and tweak it or use apps to get closer to the ICS experience. Does anyone have any suggestions or app recommendations on how to add ICS/JB goodies to Gingerbread without modding/rooting?

robotobob1982

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
You want apps that give an ICS feel?
Along with holo launcher there is the locker and notifier.
I like fast for facebook and Solid File Manager, or Xplore.
There's ICS Camera+ and the Gallery app to go with it. You can use Dialer Ex with an ICS theme. There are plenty of ICS/JB themed keyboards.
Most of these have free versions as well as paid

What else you looking for exactly?

pstjmack

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, already installed Camera ICS and it looks a great improvement. I'm looking for performance tweaks and other implementations of ICS source code that can improve the stock Gingerbread experience, though the ZTE Skate also has serious app memory limitations. For instance, the ICS/JB Calendar app looks a lot better.

pstjmack

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Just an update on a couple more apps I went with that have done a great deal - and note that this is *without* rooting the Skate.

HoloLocker - does a beautiful ICS-style customizable lock screen, without rooting, and with a low memory footprint
Virtual Button Bar - even without rooting, it allows working always-onscreen Home and last app buttons
Dolphin Browser Mini - so much better than the Gingerbread stock browser it's not even funny

Now what I want is to be able to erase stock bundled apps like DocsToGo that I don't need and free up some memory space, but once again, *without* rooting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood