May have downloaded something bad in the guise of an operating system upgrade

almaach

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy W, with Android 2.3.6
I was at work and saw a notice saying that a system upgrade was downloading itself and asking for permission to install. It then installed something and restarted the machine, I got the same message again and I clicked yes for permission to install. When it restarted the third time, and asked for permission to install I finally woke up and realised it may not have been legit.
So I cancelled.

It was a couple of weeks ago and I've not noticed anything too wrong with the phone although it is very slow.

I am a bit worried though as I do have a password app on there

How would I work out if I had installed malware/spyware by accident?

Thanks ... Normally not so stupid about downloading stuff but was busy and a bit harrassed and didnt' really think about it!
:confused:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy W, with Android 2.3.6
I was at work and saw a notice saying that a system upgrade was downloading itself and asking for permission to install. It then installed something and restarted the machine, I got the same message again and I clicked yes for permission to install. When it restarted the third time, and asked for permission to install I finally woke up and realised it may not have been legit.
So I cancelled.

It was a couple of weeks ago and I've not noticed anything too wrong with the phone although it is very slow.

I am a bit worried though as I do have a password app on there

How would I work out if I had installed malware/spyware by accident?

Thanks ... Normally not so stupid about downloading stuff but was busy and a bit harrassed and didnt' really think about it!
:confused:

I am not inclined to think it was a malicious download, probably a failed one. You either have some files corrupted or missing that is not allowing the update to happen. If you have never been rooted nor tried to flash any ROMs, I would take it in to your carrier and see what they can do for the update.