1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Probably another one of the most common questions you'll ever get.

"How do I root" my Sony Xperia Play?

It's a pretty simple question, yeah? Or isn't it?

I've search the internet, as much as I could, but all I could be told was not what to root my phone with, but only what to backup a rooted device with: Titanium Backup. Urgh. Come on... I've been probably all around the internet (Ok, maybe just Google.) searching for some help to root my mini-PS phone. Is it really that hard to find a source?

Anyway, I need help. Facebook ALWAYS makes their app unnecessarily large. It's about a bloody 42MB now, out of 400MB of phone memory, inclusive of whatever they put in the data. And like everyone else who complains, "I don't need Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior (11MB), Star Battalion (10MB), Crash Bandicoot (8MB), and FIFA 10 (4MB)." They're pretty much the most useless apps, since I don't even touch them. And they, even though (totaled up) are smaller than Facebook, are what I consider a big waste of space.

At first, I thought my phone was slowing down due to the lack of free memory IN MY SD CARD, which was totally wrong. I found that out only after cleaning out 1.5 GB of card memory. My phone's free memory, right now, is left at 37 MB out of 400MB... which is actually pretty bad, in my case.

So... yeah. I need to root. Here's the bunch of my phone's info:
    Model number = R800i
    Android Version = 2.3.4
    Baseband Version = 8x55A-AAABQMAZM-203028D-58
    Kernel Version = 2.6.32.9-perf
    SEMCUser@SEMCHost #1
    Build Version = 4.0.2.A.0.58

On a side note... I wonder what gingerbread tastes like...

Global Posts
    13,792 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Probably another one of the most common questions you'll ever get.

Quote Originally Posted by SpriteFan3 View Post
    "How do I root" my Sony Xperia Play?

It's a pretty simple question, yeah? Or isn't it?

I've search the internet, as much as I could, but all I could be told was not what to root my phone with, but only what to backup a rooted device with: Titanium Backup. Urgh. Come on... I've been probably all around the internet (Ok, maybe just Google.) searching for some help to root my mini-PS phone. Is it really that hard to find a source?

Anyway, I need help. Facebook ALWAYS makes their app unnecessarily large. It's about a bloody 42MB now, out of 400MB of phone memory, inclusive of whatever they put in the data. And like everyone else who complains, "I don't need Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior (11MB), Star Battalion (10MB), Crash Bandicoot (8MB), and FIFA 10 (4MB)." They're pretty much the most useless apps, since I don't even touch them. And they, even though (totaled up) are smaller than Facebook, are what I consider a big waste of space.

At first, I thought my phone was slowing down due to the lack of free memory IN MY SD CARD, which was totally wrong. I found that out only after cleaning out 1.5 GB of card memory. My phone's free memory, right now, is left at 37 MB out of 400MB... which is actually pretty bad, in my case.

So... yeah. I need to root. Here's the bunch of my phone's info:
    Model number = R800i
    Android Version = 2.3.4
    Baseband Version = 8x55A-AAABQMAZM-203028D-58
    Kernel Version = 2.6.32.9-perf
    SEMCUser@SEMCHost #1
    Build Version = 4.0.2.A.0.58

On a side note... I wonder what gingerbread tastes like...
    Welcome to the forums.
    Try this:
    or this:

I do not have this device, so I cannot confirm if these will work or not.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums.
    Try this:
    or this:

I do not have this device, so I cannot confirm if these will work or not.
    Well... then I'll just hold on, until I can see a confirmation. I'm not that much of a risk-taker.

I had the Xperia Play I loved the phone to death but I'll be honest with you. Even rooting the phone won't save your available memory. I had a buddy of mine do it for me and delete the games and It was still extremely slow. So reality set in and I realized I needed more memory. Its time to start saving for a newer phone. I bought a SG2 and yes its out dated compared to what's out there now but its the best phone I've ever had and the memory is a million times better. And its fast. And its $199 to by it outright without a contract. I say its time to start saving and buy a phone similar. Samsung being the clear choice but then again, it is your preference. I still use my Xperia Play to download music and stuff like that. But rooting won't exactly help your memory.

And gingerbread kinda tastes like if you were to make hard thin bread and then put some ginger in it.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using AC Forums mobile app
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by longtime44 View Post
    I had the Xperia Play… I loved the phone to death but I'll be honest with you. Even rooting the phone won't save your available memory. I had a buddy of mine do it for me and delete the games and It was still extremely slow. So reality set in and I realized I needed more memory. Its time to start saving for a newer phone. I bought a SG2 and yes its out dated compared to what's out there now but its the best phone I've ever had and the memory is a million times better. And its fast. And its $199 to by it outright without a contract. I say its time to start saving and buy a phone similar. Samsung being the clear choice but then again, it is your preference. I still use my Xperia Play to download music and stuff like that. But rooting won't exactly help your memory.

And gingerbread kinda tastes like if you were to make hard thin bread and then put some ginger in it.

Was it an R800i?

Ya