Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is gingerbread obsolete? Or soon going to be with the galaxy S5 coming out next month?

I asked a question about a year ago about this, but now that time has gone by (couldnt afford to buy a new phone), i am wondering how the app compatibility and support will be in the near future?

The backup option i am looking at runs android 4.0 (twice as much though!), but i was just talking to my friend and she sounds like that is even already obsolete.... is she right?
  2. Best Answer

This term "obsolete" being used has too many meaning in the tech world. In a very real sense every piece of tech is obsolete in about 15mins after being release at a consumer level. In another sense if the device still does its primary function (running apps is not) then it is never obsolete. In the sense of a wannabetheonewiththebest yes its obsolete. In the sense of will it run all the latest apps yes its obsolete but then again the newest Android doesn't even do that so its obsolete.

So it all depends on the context of the conversation.

Default Re: Is gingerbread obsolete? Or soon going to be with the galaxy S5 coming out next month?

This term "obsolete" being used has too many meaning in the tech world. In a very real sense every piece of tech is obsolete in about 15mins after being release at a consumer level. In another sense if the device still does its primary function (running apps is not) then it is never obsolete. In the sense of a wannabetheonewiththebest yes its obsolete. In the sense of will it run all the latest apps yes its obsolete but then again the newest Android doesn't even do that so its obsolete.

So it all depends on the context of the conversation.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Is gingerbread obsolete? Or soon going to be with the galaxy S5 coming out next month?

She seemed to be concerned that the new Kitkat (version 5) was coming out... she said shes had alot of problems getting apps to run on her version 4.0. But she wants tons of apps. I would probably install facebook and maybe a few games (disney hidden adventures being one of them if possible). So im not sure which way to go...

I didnt know if maybe version 4 being newer was less stable than gingerbread which still seems to be a very common OS?

If i got the one i really want (samsung galaxy appeal/ace Q), is it possible to upgrade it?

I got confused because earlier i tried just googling facebook for version 2.3, but she was saying all of those just redirect to the app store. I didnt know if there was a way to install things via USB, downloading it to the comptuer first and transferring it?

This would be my first smartphone of any kind so im not sure waht to do.

It is not obsolete.Newer versions are coming off and on.If your device works well for you,you should keep it.