Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help with upgrading OS.

A little info (for more specific help) before I get started..
    -Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2
    -Model number: SCH-R760
    -Android version: 2.3.6
    If I'm missing anything please let me know..

Anyways, I've recently been looking into upgrading the operating system of my phone. However, when I go into my settings and make my phone check for system updates the results always come up negative or I get the Fota error. So I've been looking into doing this manually and it doesn't seem too hard. I'm pretty confident that I can get through it successfully. Although, I do have a few questions.

How safe is it to manually update the OS by myself and what are the chances of rendering my phone inoperable?

Do I have to root my phone in order to do this?

What does this do to my warranty? (I have U.S. Cellular as a carrier, by the way)

Will I still be able to upgrade my phone when the time comes or will it be rejected due to my doing this?

Is there anything else I need to know? Any and all help will be appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Default Re: Help with upgrading OS.

You can install a launcher if you want to add style, or if you want to just update android go to settings -> phone info -> actuallisations (updates, sorry if it is a bad spelling; on the top) and check.

You can update the OS.But as per warranty I think it will be not covered if you do it manually by yourself.

I have an S2 as well but updating to anything newer than gingerbread ruined my phone. Stick with 2.3 if you can

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    my devices: Nokia Lumia 520, Samsung Galaxy S2, Nokia Asha 301, Samsung star, samsung E1105T (supper dumb phone)