Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Motorola MB860 Navigator not reading Compass

2-3 months ago, the preloaded Navigator in my Mot MB860 stopped reading the compass - Nav knew where I was, but not which way I was facing. Maps can read the compass, but the preloaded Nav & one I downloaded both cannot read the compass. Also, when I use the compass calibrate utility, the compass seems to be working correctly.
    Any ideas on how to get Nav to read the Compass?
    Android 2.3.6

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Motorola MB860 Navigator not reading Compass

Quote Originally Posted by dd72k View Post
    2-3 months ago, the preloaded Navigator in my Mot MB860 stopped reading the compass - Nav knew where I was, but not which way I was facing. Maps can read the compass, but the preloaded Nav & one I downloaded both cannot read the compass. Also, when I use the compass calibrate utility, the compass seems to be working correctly.
    Any ideas on how to get Nav to read the Compass?
    Android 2.3.6

Thanks!!!
    Does auto rotate still work?
    my devices: Nokia Lumia 520, Samsung Galaxy S2, Nokia Asha 301, Samsung star, samsung E1105T (supper dumb phone)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the reply :-). Yes, autorotate works.

Thanks for the reply :-). Yes, autorotate works.
    Ok...Please try these FREE apps from GOOGLE PLAY: (keep an eye open for any notifications such as "this app may not be compatible with your device" or "no accelerator was detected"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...r.sira.compass

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ro.app.compass

Please let me know if it works or not, if both don't work I guess there is a damaged physical component on your phone, so the problem isn't software related. But if Google play will not let you download either due to compatability issues, go to Google play and search "compass", download at least 2 compasses that it lets you download to verify if your problem is hardware or software related.
    Last edited by stalemate1; 07-24-2014 at 02:17 AM.
    my devices: Nokia Lumia 520, Samsung Galaxy S2, Nokia Asha 301, Samsung star, samsung E1105T (supper dumb phone)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thank you for the ideas!!! Unfortunately, the first app wants access to my camera, microphone, and file system, which is just insulting. The second app works, but does not fix the problem with the Navigator app. But thanks for trying :-).

Thank you for the ideas!!! Unfortunately, the first app wants access to my camera, microphone, and file system, which is just insulting. The second app works, but does not fix the problem with the Navigator app. But thanks for trying :-).
    Wait...your trying to make the compass work in the navigation application and not the phone?...sorry I misunderstood you but as far as I know and my experience with navigation apps. They don't use a compass, they simply show which direction you are going, you need to be moving at a high enough speed for it to register.

Basically they don't read a compass, they use gps (which requires movement, for example: driving a car) to show which direction you are heading (not which direction the phone is facing)

I may be wrong, there may be navigation apps out there that can read the compass but ive never seen one.

If the mapping software you are using is not suitable for your needs could I recommend: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ctor.navigator

Its free and has very good offline mapping & navigation...I use it myself.
    Last edited by stalemate1; 07-24-2014 at 07:27 AM.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Just an idea, but have you tried to remove all saved Navigator data? I don't remember motoblur rom, but on CM7 in app menu was this option. It's easier way than hard reset.
    What I have tried, Oruxmaps are able to use compass, but this app is not good for navigation. Higher linked MapFactor is best free off-line navigator for me (even so, it can't use a compass, which doesn't matter when you are moving)