Ghost Apps

Woomera

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Running 2.3.5 on my Samsung Galaxy SGH-T679M

Following several updates GV Phone - MX Player _Speedtest.....I now have 2 icons for each app....one greyed out stating the app not installed on the phone , which is probably true, because it's been replaced with an updated program with an active icon.

Is there any way to remove these dead icons ?

TIA

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is this in the App Drawer or a homescreen? If it's a homescreen, you should be able to remove the duplicate by long-pressing it and dragging it to the Remove area.

If it's the App Drawer, have you tried rebooting? If that doesn't help, try booting into Recovery Mode and wiping the cache partition, which won't erase any personal data: Samsung Galaxy W / GT-I8150 Recovery Mode / Hard Reset - GSM-Forum

Woomera

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks for the reply. Yes , it's apps in the App Drawer , not shortcuts dragged to different home screens.
I tried the cache wipe , and the ghost shortcuts are still there. Interestingly , they show SD on them which probably means it's got something to do with the fact that I moved them to the SD card and when new versions were installed , the paths got screwed up somehow. The apps all work , providing you use the correct shortcut of course. Not a huge problem , thanks for the tip...I will say that after the cache wipe , my phone seems 'speedier' ...more responsive. I do use Cache cleaners etc from time to time. Just curious , is there any harm in doing the cache wipe you describe from time to time as a cleaning tool ?
Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
App cache cleaners only clear individual app caches, which is different from the system cache partition. The latter holds various temporary system data, like the apk files downloaded from Google Play when you're installing an app. Some of that data can get a little funky, so clearing it out periodically can be helpful. It's not necessary if the device is otherwise working fine. There is no known harm to doing this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech