Who will get Gingerbread after the Nexus One?

What will be the second phone to get Gingerbread?

• Total voters

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
To the 7 people who voted for the US SGS phones: Are you nuts? Samsung can't even get their act together to give these phones Froyo...

Reactions: dallas90733

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I think it will be EVO but it's gonna be awhile. They are having problems with GB wifi calling and etc. so they aren't going to be rolling it out en-mass until it get's fixed. Also, Sammy and Sprint seem to be having a hell of a time getting FROYO on the Epic/SGS line of phones and they aren't going to release GB to the EVO till the Epic gets FROYO. Rolling out GB to the EVO first would be a huge slap in the face to all the Epic owners.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Ugh not soon enough! I've been waiting for the update for so long now.
I'm surprised that Google hasn't pushed out the Gingerbread update to N1 yet. They said it'd be in a few weeks when the NS was announced, and now it's been more than a month...

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm predicting the Evo simply because all those owners will raise hell if they don't get it next. I'm not even sure right now if the nexus one will get it first.

natehoch96

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm predicting the Evo simply because all those owners will raise hell if they don't get it next. I'm not even sure right now if the nexus one will get it first.

The nexus one will get it first, trust me. The nexus one is the phone they were developing it on, so it most likely is pretty much done or already is.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand...I am a noob with Android...I thought when Google came out with a new O/S it could be used on all Android phones. Why can't the Moto phones have it now? The Bionic is coming out...why would it have 2.2 instead of 2.3? Thanks for the education.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand...I am a noob with Android...I thought when Google came out with a new O/S it could be used on all Android phones. Why can't the Moto phones have it now? The Bionic is coming out...why would it have 2.2 instead of 2.3? Thanks for the education.

The biggest problem with it is that before Gingerbread was officially released, those Moto phones (Droid Bionic, Atrix, etc) had already been in development for months when Froyo was the newest OS version available from Google. By the time Gingerbread is released, the hardware, software (Blur, and other UI's like Sense and TouchWiz) had been developed on top of Froyo, not Gingerbread. They would have to go back in and essentially start over again, delaying it's launch.

It'd be an endless cycle. Instead, they release it with Froyo, and update it to Gingerbread after.

GQ50

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Questions...does Gingerbread have qualifications? Meaning does a phone have to have a certain size processor? If/when it drops for every other phone but "American Galaxy S" phones, would devs. be able to create a ROM so I could put it on the Captvate?

thanks for any response.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Questions...does Gingerbread have qualifications? Meaning does a phone have to have a certain size processor? If/when it drops for every other phone but "American Galaxy S" phones, would devs. be able to create a ROM so I could put it on the Captvate?

thanks for any response.

Nope, Andy Rubin (the main guy behind Android at Google) has said there are no minimum requirements for Gingerbread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs