2.3 for Evo Shift?

BGood20

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've heard the Evo Shift won't get Gingerbread, that it can't run it. Is that true? If so, is it not worth getting without the 2.3 OS?

Sorry if already asked elsewhere on the forum.

Thanks.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I've heard the Evo Shift won't get Gingerbread, that it can't run it. Is that true? If so, is it not worth getting without the 2.3 OS?

Sorry if already asked elsewhere on the forum.

Thanks.

Yeah. Whomever told you that was wrong. Or lying. Or both. :p

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I am still surprised no one is complaining about updates for all devices, there has not been a single word of confirmation if HTC is even working on Gingerbread for Evo, unless I am wrong... Only other device I know of that has already gotten word of Gingerbread is the Nexus One(no brainer).

Steb0ne

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
That wouldn't make sense... considering the G2 is the same hardware. I have CM7 running in my Evo and its smooth, I'd think the only hold up would be Sense UI.

rht_rv

May 3, 2010
Visit site
if it does not get gingerbread, it is because sprint/HTC doesnt want it on there. heck, even the cliq has an AOSP build of gingerbread on it

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to a much appreciated development community many phones are already using Gingerbread ROMs (cm7). Even the HeroC has a build, thats worthy of day to day use.

It was already mentioned that theren are no minimum specifications to run Gingerbread. It's up to the carrier and manufacture to decide which phones will be supported.

WrlsFanatic

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I used to work at Sprint and I have several friends that work there still. The Shift IS getting Gingerbread. OP, I don't know where you got your information, but it's bunk. I'm running 2.3 now on my EVO and it's MUCH smoother than 2.2. This minimum hardware requirement stuff is b.s. If anything, the minimum requirement should be LESS than 2.2.

caleb02

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
That's bull.

Re shift can run it if the regular evo can.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

first off the evo shift is not based on the same hardware as the mighty evo 4g. It has a slower 800mhz cpu. And its not even under the same family of hardware according to htc, its based off some other htc product. The EVO 4g is such a better product. just look at the specs of the evo 4g. Sprint just attached the evo name to the shift for marketing reasons hoping that the evo name will rub off on it. This is the same reason ford did the explorer sport trac that and the fact with the explorer name on the sport track ford could charge 30% more for it. So Sprint can charge more for a lesser phone. I am upset with sprint for this. I think the EVO line should be only premium phones starting at 1ghz cpu, 1.2 front cam and 8 mb rear cam.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
first off the evo shift is not based on the same hardware as the mighty evo 4g. It has a slower 800mhz cpu. And its not even under the same family of hardware according to htc, its based off some other htc product. The EVO 4g is such a better product. just look at the specs of the evo 4g. Sprint just attached the evo name to the shift for marketing reasons hoping that the evo name will rub off on it. This is the same reason ford did the explorer sport trac that and the fact with the explorer name on the sport track ford could charge 30% more for it. So Sprint can charge more for a lesser phone. I am upset with sprint for this. I think the EVO line should be only premium phones starting at 1ghz cpu, 1.2 front cam and 8 mb rear cam.
You do realize the Shift has a much better, faster, and more efficient CPU than the Evo right?

If the Evo can run something, the Shift will run it much better.

Sent via carrier pigeon

freaknastyb

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Epic 4G lol.. kidding. just annoyed we're still waiting for the 2.2 ( and wife dont want me to root it just yet) and whats funny is my sister has the intercept and she is now sporting 2.2 over the Epic.. smh.. how :(

luvsmobile

Luvzmobile
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
2.3 with which version of sense?? They can barely get 2.3 on the standard EVO without stripping it down. I've heard nothing on this.. makes you wonder!!
Hears a dumb question.. does the G2 have (or getting) 2.3. Aren't they similar

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01