Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default 2.3 for Evo Shift?

    I've heard the Evo Shift won't get Gingerbread, that it can't run it. Is that true? If so, is it not worth getting without the 2.3 OS?

    Sorry if already asked elsewhere on the forum.

    Thanks.
  2. #2  

    Default

    That's bull.

    Re shift can run it if the regular evo can.



    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  3. #3  

    Default

    I've never heard of that. If that was true then there would be a lot of returns.
  4. #4  
    Phil Nickinson's Avatar
    Android Central Editor in Chief

    Posts
    3,847 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,013 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BGood20 View Post
    I've heard the Evo Shift won't get Gingerbread, that it can't run it. Is that true? If so, is it not worth getting without the 2.3 OS?

    Sorry if already asked elsewhere on the forum.

    Thanks.
    Yeah. Whomever told you that was wrong. Or lying. Or both.
  5. #5  
    terpitude71's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,165 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

    Default

    i cant imagine any high end android device releasing this year not getting gingerbread at some point
  6. #6  
    SdotJ's Avatar

    Posts
    203 Posts
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terpitude71 View Post
    i cant imagine any high end android device releasing this year not getting gingerbread at some point
    I agree there's no way the shift dose not get gingerbread.
  7. #7  

    Default

    there would be a lot of angry shift owners.
  8. #8  
    eric.atx's Avatar

    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terpitude71 View Post
    i cant imagine any high end android device releasing this year not getting gingerbread at some point
    I agreed with this. I'd be shocked if it didn't.


    Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk
    @TejasEric on Twitter
  9. #9  
    Smokexz's Avatar

    Posts
    897 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I am still surprised no one is complaining about updates for all devices, there has not been a single word of confirmation if HTC is even working on Gingerbread for Evo, unless I am wrong... Only other device I know of that has already gotten word of Gingerbread is the Nexus One(no brainer).
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10
  10. #10  
    donatom3's Avatar

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    661 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terpitude71 View Post
    i cant imagine any high end android device releasing this year not getting gingerbread at some point
    Unless its made and sold under the Samsung name.
  11. #11  
    Steb0ne's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

    Default

    That wouldn't make sense... considering the G2 is the same hardware. I have CM7 running in my Evo and its smooth, I'd think the only hold up would be Sense UI.
  12. #12  
    rht_rv's Avatar

    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7, ICS

    Default

    if it does not get gingerbread, it is because sprint/HTC doesnt want it on there. heck, even the cliq has an AOSP build of gingerbread on it
  13. #13  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    7,396 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,399 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default

    Thanks to a much appreciated development community many phones are already using Gingerbread ROMs (cm7). Even the HeroC has a build, thats worthy of day to day use.

    It was already mentioned that theren are no minimum specifications to run Gingerbread. It's up to the carrier and manufacture to decide which phones will be supported.
  14. #14  

    Default

    I used to work at Sprint and I have several friends that work there still. The Shift IS getting Gingerbread. OP, I don't know where you got your information, but it's bunk. I'm running 2.3 now on my EVO and it's MUCH smoother than 2.2. This minimum hardware requirement stuff is b.s. If anything, the minimum requirement should be LESS than 2.2.
  15. #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    That's bull.

    Re shift can run it if the regular evo can.



    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    first off the evo shift is not based on the same hardware as the mighty evo 4g. It has a slower 800mhz cpu. And its not even under the same family of hardware according to htc, its based off some other htc product. The EVO 4g is such a better product. just look at the specs of the evo 4g. Sprint just attached the evo name to the shift for marketing reasons hoping that the evo name will rub off on it. This is the same reason ford did the explorer sport trac that and the fact with the explorer name on the sport track ford could charge 30% more for it. So Sprint can charge more for a lesser phone. I am upset with sprint for this. I think the EVO line should be only premium phones starting at 1ghz cpu, 1.2 front cam and 8 mb rear cam.
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caleb02 View Post
    first off the evo shift is not based on the same hardware as the mighty evo 4g. It has a slower 800mhz cpu. And its not even under the same family of hardware according to htc, its based off some other htc product. The EVO 4g is such a better product. just look at the specs of the evo 4g. Sprint just attached the evo name to the shift for marketing reasons hoping that the evo name will rub off on it. This is the same reason ford did the explorer sport trac that and the fact with the explorer name on the sport track ford could charge 30% more for it. So Sprint can charge more for a lesser phone. I am upset with sprint for this. I think the EVO line should be only premium phones starting at 1ghz cpu, 1.2 front cam and 8 mb rear cam.
    You do realize the Shift has a much better, faster, and more efficient CPU than the Evo right?

    If the Evo can run something, the Shift will run it much better.


    Sent via carrier pigeon
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  17. #17  

    Default

    Epic 4G lol.. kidding. just annoyed we're still waiting for the 2.2 ( and wife dont want me to root it just yet) and whats funny is my sister has the intercept and she is now sporting 2.2 over the Epic.. smh.. how
  18. #18  

    Default

    Is there any update on when 2.3 is coming for Shift? I remember hearing somewhere that it was coming "this summer", any ideas of when?
  19. #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gregisonfire View Post
    Is there any update on when 2.3 is coming for Shift? I remember hearing somewhere that it was coming "this summer", any ideas of when?
    I've also heard its coming out in summer. I head Gingerbread for it is available but Sprint is holding on releasing it for some reason...
  20. #20  
    luvsmobile's Avatar
    Luvzmobile

    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

    Default

    2.3 with which version of sense?? They can barely get 2.3 on the standard EVO without stripping it down. I've heard nothing on this.. makes you wonder!!
    Hears a dumb question.. does the G2 have (or getting) 2.3. Aren't they similar
    Galaxy S5
    Sony Smartwatch 2
    Nexus 10
  21. #21  

    Default It's Here!

    It's available for download today. I have an unrooted phone and it installed with no issues. It even allows for the updated 4th level of Angry Birds Rio!
  22. #22  

    Default

    Just downloaded 2.3 and now Twitter will not load...just crashes. Can't even see the error msg. that pops up because it closes so fast. Everything else seems to be working but Twitter. Coincidence? I think not...
  23. #23  

    Default Re: 2.3 for Evo Shift?

    I wish the shift hadn't got GB....2.3
  24. #24  
    Formula84's Avatar

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

    Default Re: 2.3 for Evo Shift?

    Wow, trying to get my GF the shift maybe i'll hold off until they get the GB update fixed.

Posting Permissions