Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Honeycomb hardware requirements? True or False?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Google is gonna tack on some HW requirements.

14 23.33%
  • No, why in the world would they.

46 76.67%
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Lightbulb [Poll] Honeycomb hardware reqs.? Bogas or rock solid?

Title says it all, do you think google with nail some sort of hardware requirements on this update or is it purely rumor?

I dont think any requirements will be pinned, google hasnt done it in the past and wont do it now. Its all up to the manufacturers/carriers IMO.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

if honeycomb is going to actually be 3.0, then i would say there will be hardware requirements. not that rom makers wont find ways to circumvent that, im sure

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

They can't "require" anything...they can suggest, but anyone can put Android on anything.

Of course, they may make it to where it won't run well on a single core (kinda like how running Android on a 100 mhz processor just wouldn't work).

They can require whatever they want.. non-meeting requirement devices just wont get Google certified and wont have Gmail, Market, any Google apps..etc.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
    Smarty Pants

ROM
    Stock

Every Os manufacturer does it, I cant see why google wouldn't.
    Why didnt the eris recieve froyo?
    Of course we all know kaos can make it work, but the phone is still hardware limited plain and simple.
    If google wants to attract money making ad revenue, then they need to offer sweet apps, that can run really eye catching graphics, are fully useful intuitive services, that people gotta have just cant live without. If the hardware cant meet a minimum requirement then its time to retire it, why would any money making entity support something that isnt making them money the way a newer version does?
    Im T rop per and I approve this message
    Thanks for watching = T

It really shouldn't matter to Google if they upgrade the Eris to FroYo or not.. they are still making money off it.

It's the carriers that care.. why put resources into an old device when they can force you to buy a new one? Google makes money off ads regardless of the device.. they really SHOULD put all the newest OS' on old devices..that way when someone upgrades, they can sell that old device to someone who doesn't have an Android device and in a sense, create new revenue for Google.

EDIT: Yikes.. my post duplicated.
    Smarty Pants

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    It really shouldn't matter to Google if they upgrade the Eris to FroYo or not.. they are still making money off it.

It's the carriers that care.. why put resources into an old device when they can force you to buy a new one? Google makes money off ads regardless of the device.. they really SHOULD put all the newest OS' on old devices..that way when someone upgrades, they can sell that old device to someone who doesn't have an Android device and in a sense, create new revenue for Google.
    I can see where your coming from, but feel that google is in a war with apple and they dont want lil old eris's, hero's and older phone showcaseing there wears. It would be like saying google shouldnt make google Tv just for HighDef I wanna watch youtube on my old 13" black and white.
    Thanks for watching = T

Well, the iPhone 3G was still upgraded years afterwards..

upgrading older hardware only promotes consumer happyness that their device will be supported and they'll get their moneys worth. Not everyone can afford to buy a brand new device yearly.. while there are a ton of Eris users out there, I bet they'd be super happy if Google officially released support for a Droid Eris for their latest OS'..

I can't tell you how cool it's been to put Gingerbread on my Droid1.. it breathes new life into old hardware. It runs great, works great and is super fast.

there shouldbe a bit of a split for tablets and phones
    not too much but way to howcase new apps and new features
    have a honeycomb for phone and one for tablet
    push for ghz phones and 2core tablets and optimise it for but make it so manufactures can run it of the 600mz phones like optimus
    VCL

I would think any of the top android devices would be Honeycomb friendly. I think the all great Nexus One will still be able to easily handle the honeycomb OS. Any device on that level will work with honeycomb.

How about the mytouch 3g? The eris, and the hero has better hardware and didn't get updated. It's up to the carrier. And i think it's bogus

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9 latest alpha builds

Default This is ridiculous

Seriously, did nobody learn after the gingerbread rumors. Why would google just launch a brand new developer phone that they can't update. The Nexus S will get Honeycomb for sure, it doesn't just exist for Gingerbread.
    Gee

I wouldn't be shocked to see this requirement. The source said that there will be requirements for high end Honeycomb tablets and that there will be a more basic version of Honeycomb for every one else. If this is true, why not? I'd have to assume that low end tablets and all phones would fit the bill for the basic version of Android. I'm just using the word basic to describe it but whatever you want to call it, it still would probably be a very capable version. Couldn't be any less capable of what we already have and we seem to be happy with Android so far.

What I think Google is trying to do is make a tablet OS that is actually worth having. Would you really want the tablet version of Android to be ONLY as capable as the mobile phone version of Android? I thought we wanted more than that and it seems like Google is poised to deliver that.

So maybe there is some truth to that source and I personally do hope that it's true.

ROM
    Rooted AOSP JB on all

This remind anyone else of the 1Ghz requirement for Gingerbread? Yeah, that came true.

Wouldn't be be stupid to make this requirement and rule out honeycomb on the Nexus S?
    Follow me on Twitter

Learning the in's and out's of my Nexus every day
    Gee

Quote Originally Posted by rickydross View Post
    Wouldn't be be stupid to make this requirement and rule out honeycomb on the Nexus S?
    I've read that there will be a dumbed down version as well. Considering that one of the requirements is a 720p display, phones will probably get the dumbed down version. It still should be a improvement over 2.3 but not as sophisticated as the version on a high end tablet - which to me makes more sense than having the same exact thing across the board and not taking advantage of the better hardware.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Smarty Pants

ROM
    Stock

Wonder how many Froyo phone will get Gingerbread?
    I dont believe it all to just as simple as single vs dual.
    I see it as ok you can run Honeycomb but its gonna tax your CPU and youll need to charge it hourly .
    Maybe for people without dual cores, Seidio will sell those 80's style bags with a small deep cycle marine battery ? would be kinda maxx headroom cool
    Thanks for watching = T
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Honeycomb won't have default requirements, I think there may be system requirements for use of some of honeycomb's tablet APIs that Any Rubin eluded to.

There will also probably be some type of usability/hardware minimum to get a "Google Experience" device.

IMO I think With each OS version released, a stripped down pure android OS should be made available to download without all the phone manufacturer BS and carrier BS added to it. Just a straight up and pure Android OS which can be loaded onto any android device which meets that versions hardware requirements. So if I had an eris and wanted Froyo or Gingerbread I could download from google, a pure android os without HTC Sense or any of verzion's bloatware, just the stuff that comes on Android itself.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Well, looks like there is gonna be hardware requirements. It'll have to be a tablet, as stated in the video "Only for tablets".

-Sigh- Gingerbread was a let down, so is this. But hey, the evo is gonna be like the droid line so that makes me all warm and fuzzy

Evo 2 = Desire HD w/4G = Thunderbolt on verizon. (whoops off topic)
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by igotsanevo4g View Post
    Well, looks like there is gonna be hardware requirements. It'll have to be a tablet, as stated in the video "Only for tablets".

-Sigh- Gingerbread was a let down, so is this. But hey, the evo is gonna be like the droid line so that makes me all warm and fuzzy

Evo 2 = Desire HD w/4G = Thunderbolt on verizon. (whoops off topic)
    Mark my words, By summer Honeycomb will be ready for smartphones. (it may be called something else maybe even 3.1)

Getting a functional OS for tablets was Google's number 1 prioirty. They needed it ASAP so they only focused on that part. If you remember the Andy Rubin interview at all things D where he first showed us the Xoom he mentions that they came up with the "fragments" idea and that depending on if it was a phone or a tablet the system would be able to display them differently. That clearly indicates their intent for honeycomb to run on phones.

Android will eventually be a unified OS (same OS will run on phones and tablets). They just need time to fine tune this new interface/APIs for a phone and to add in the ability to identify the type of device being used.

This of course is speculation on my part, but I think its the most logical approach.