New Notifications System

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else as disappointed as I am that they moved notifications to the bottom of the screen? I'm really gonna miss the notifications drawer..

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Its seemed that there was still a drawer effect, but there was only one notification to show. It just seems like they moved the location and added some extra flair to it.

Also on a high res tablet i don't want the drawer to block the entire screen when i use it. It doesn't make sense to as there would be a lot of wasted space. IMO its adds to the whole unobtrusiveness of the android notification system since it uses only as much space as needed.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Is there some visual of the new notification system? I haven't seen it yet.

EDIT: never mind, found the 10 minute overview of Honeybomb.

Last edited:

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I hope for the phone they keep the drawer and I hope they keep it on top of the screen. It's one of my favorite things about android.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I hope for the phone they keep the drawer and I hope they keep it on top of the screen. It's one of my favorite things about android.

It looks pretty good on the tablet, and of course WebOS has had bottom notifications since its beginning. I actually like the bottom notifications better.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I really like what I've seen so far, actually. I've always liked WebOS's notifications on the bottom setup, so I think this is a great move for Android.

Dexter73

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Everybody complains how long it takes for their phones to get updates. I have a feeling it is going to take a lot longer than normal for the manufacturers to incorporate their UI overlays with Honeycomb. How long will it take HTC, Motorola, Samsung, LG and Sony to make these changes?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Everybody complains how long it takes for their phones to get updates. I have a feeling it is going to take a lot longer than normal for the manufacturers to incorporate their UI overlays with Honeycomb. How long will it take HTC, Motorola, Samsung, LG and Sony to make these changes?

Rumor mill has it that Honeycomb is going to be tablet-only anyway. Not so sure what I think about this yet, but it's possible phones will be going from Gingerbread to Ice Cream.

cjohnson481

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
IMO the new bottom corner notifications are great for tablet sized devices. It allows you to be able to keep consuming data and have the small notification area that is unobtrusize. if the notification area was at the top of the screen and had the pull down, that would be a very large pull down and probably not a great use of screen real estate. i think the UI redesign has really made the android tablet an even more desirable device.

rightontime

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I really don't think the notification bar will be moved to the bottom for phones. I remember andy rubin saying with gingerbread things will be able to express itself differently for tablets, and the tablet launcher will have the notification launcher on the bottom.

zero3187

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to see the user being able to choose where the notifications show up. Top, bottom, on the sides possibly lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome