Acer Iconia tab.... very impressed!

pdog197804

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Well, after purchasing this tablet a few days ago im so glad I stopped waiting for hps touchpad... This is super impressive! Netflix streams great using play on, video chat looks OK on fring however I really want to see gtalk video but none of my buddy's have it. A little dissapointed qik is not updated to 3.0 but it will come im sure.. Im looking forward to the docking station and the many upcoming add ons. Just watched about 3 hrs worth of NFL draft streaming via justin TV and not one glitch.... The price point is truly the biggest advantage, 475 bucks out the door. if your looking for a wifi/mobilehotspot contract free Android tablet u can't go wrong with this thing compared to the overpriced xoom....

pentool

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I have purchased mine yesterday, so I've been using it only 1 day. This is my first encounter with Android, and also this is my first tablet device. (Aside from this, I have an iTouch 4G.)

I am pleased with the hardware overall (aside from that 2 inch power cord). However, my only somewhat negative impression is (which has nothing to do with the device itself) is the lack of available apps.

I do realize that Android tablets are relatively new. I was hoping to find the apps/games (at least some of them) that I use on the iTouch 4G. However, most of them is not available. The ones that are, they either not ported to HD size displays and appear pixelated or they have a floating layout so they can accommodate any size display, but they are not really updated either for tablets. As such, they appear tiny on the big screen.

I was browsing the Android market before decided to buy the tablet to see what's available. Since I didn't know nothing about Android, I thought those apps that are listed will all work. Not so. The marketplace does not specify which app is for which device/OS or whether it's compatible with a tablet or not.

At this point it seems there's only a handful of games/apps that are taking advantage of the HD screen. Hope this will improve in the future.

PS: If anyone already an expert Android tablet user and knows good apps that are ported to HD size tablets, please do let me know! Thanks!

Last edited:

Fumetsu

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Gameloft has some good ones but they aren't on the market. You have to be them directly from Gameloft. Check out TegraZone too.

thubalek

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm also very impressed from Iconia. Android is performing significantly better than on my Galaxy S, display is also very cool. I like it.

damo

#teamandroid
May 25, 2011
Visit site
I just don't get why this tablet gets knocked so much. It is the same as a xoom, but with a better screen and is cheaper! - A no brainer for me :)

cityhunter

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had an Iconia for almost 2 weeks now and am very impressed, I did have a playbook before this and although the hardware is good the apps for it were non existant, and although I haven't had an ipad i've owned an ipod tought 1st and 2nd Gen and a 3GS, that said I wasn't expecting to be as impressed with this tablet as I have been.

I've been playing with some of the Tegra apps and am really looking forward to Zen Pinball whenever it's released, I've been playing around with emulators and am really impressed by the speed and support for gamepads which makes the Iconias full size USB port handy, I also like that i can connect to my network file shares with astro and transfer files to and from the tablet I'm also using double twist for wireless sync with iTunes.

Biggest complaint though is the marketplace, i've noticed that viewing catagories will only list a handfull of widgets with now browse free or browse paid button showing up, but if you search there are tons more apps to be found, sorta strange behavior which doesn't seem to happen on my Incredible S phone.

Asaroth2010

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Different beast, I take my 10.1 to work play movies,games(pinball HD, that jetski game) probably 3-4 hours a night drive home plug it in with 70-80% battery left

claudiov

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi
I am new to this forum and I can tell you my Acer iconia is fantastic no complain at all
I will give you more info next time.
PS sorry for my bad spelling I don't want right in Italian I don't think you ll understand haha
Ciao

birdmom9726

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I have had my A100 for about 6 weeks now, and am still very satisfied with it. However, I am not a techie type person so I am easily satisfied! ;) Complaints? Screen is a fingerprint magnet, battery life isn't the greatest, and the Google Navigation that comes already installed seems a little weak (has problems picking up the satellites sometimes). The "home" key is right below the screen and if you brush against it accidentally you will kick yourself out of whatever you're doing.

Having said all that, I still think the graphics are great, it's very fast, and is a definite big step up from the Wintec Filemate Light that I had before. Much smoother and more powerful, it does everything I ask it to do with style and speed. I find it indispensable to my daily life, it's just so helpful in so many areas. My gentleman friend (who does not speak Computer), thinks I'm addicted to my tablet. Well, maybe so. But no more so than he's addicted to his TV!!! Some people not only just don't get it, they don't WANT to get it. If I had my choice of being on a desert island with him or my tablet (assuming a good wifi connection is available), well .... it would be a tough choice! And the tablet would probably win. :-[

jsham1963

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Wow, my experience is pretty much the complete opposite. I purchased the A100 a couple of days ago, and it is not working very well. First, it has a problem when you wake it from sleep. It does not wake up if it is asleep for more than a few minutes. Next, I have problems with the wifi. It is fine at home, but I tested it at work and at first it would connect to the router, but when I tried to go to a web page it said there was no internet connection. In the wifi icon a little arrow would come and go. I did a reset to factory defaults, and it still does work correctly. It still has the first problem, and now it will not even connect to the wifi at work. My el cheapo Coby 7015 works better than this. I am just deciding when I return it if I should get a refund or an exchange.
It has the following versions:
Android version 3.2
Kernel version 2.6.36.2
Build number: ACER_A100_1.018.05_COM_GEN2

Jim

toralee

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I own the Acer for #mnts now. Am very happy with it. Impressed with it. Softwares are generally a bit lbasic though..
Yesterday I downloaded and upgraded Market to Google Play and the icon would not display on the home screen. Yak!!! Coming from Google is disgracefully unacceptable!! Hope a fix for it is forthcoming soon.

thianby23

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I have had my A100 for about 6 weeks now, and am still very satisfied with it. However, I am not a techie type person so I am easily satisfied! ;) Complaints? Screen is a fingerprint magnet, battery life isn't the greatest, and the Google Navigation that comes already installed seems a little weak (has problems picking up the satellites sometimes). The "home" key is right below the screen and if you brush against it accidentally you will kick yourself out of whatever you're doing.

Having said all that, I still think the graphics are great, it's very fast, and is a definite big step up from the Wintec Filemate Light that I had before. Much smoother and more powerful, it does everything I ask it to do with style and speed. I find it indispensable to my daily life, it's just so helpful in so many areas. My gentleman friend (who does not speak Computer), thinks I'm addicted to my tablet. Well, maybe so. But no more so than he's addicted to his TV!!! Some people not only just don't get it, they don't WANT to get it. If I had my choice of being on a desert island with him or my tablet (assuming a good wifi connection is available), well .... it would be a tough choice! And the tablet would probably win. :-[
Yes, that's very kind of you!