ICS upgrades for current phones and tablets?

hell_night

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Hardware Acceleration in ICS is all im asking for, though seems kinda impossible with all types of CPUs and GPUs in the Android World :confused:

Last edited:

deV14nt

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Samsung's flavor of the browser is definitely accelerated, at least on the GSII. Zooms amazingly smooth while loading Flash. I assume that's not OS-wide though.

Quasar

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm still curious how ICS is going to treat the physical buttons. Will phones that get the upgrade have two sets of Home, Back, and Menu buttons? Will that be something that can be "turned off" on those phones?

I'm not too concerned about it, I'm sure my Droid Charge won't be getting it, but I'm still curious.

Jason

When Google first started talking about the future of Android beyond Gingerbread and Honeycomb, they said they wanted to make Android run on any type of hardware design that manufacturers wanted to use. That includes tablets and phones with or without buttons. Based on that information, I'm pretty sure the software buttons won't show on any phone with dedicated hardware buttons like the Nexus S.

I'm not getting my hopes up since it's an old phone by today's standards, but it would be cool if the N1 got an ICS update. It would help show the range of devices ICS can run on.

HedonismBot

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Hardware Acceleration in ICS is all im asking for, though seems kinda impossible with all types of CPUs and GPUs in the Android World :confused:

Thank you for the correction. I completely agree that hardware acceleration would make android infinite times better, but with so many manufacturers, components, and skins, it makes it near impossible to accomplish outside of the nexus devices. As much as I do enjoy some parts of TW4.0, I wish manufacturers would do less skinning as I think it would make optimization easier.

So there is a very cool thing that Google has done to make this work.

Android devices running 2.0+ can support OpenGL ES 2.0 through the NDK (used for running native C/C++ code). Android Devices 2.2+ are required to support it, with access through both the Java and native C interfaces.

In ICS, to accomplish hardware accelerated rendering, an LLVM-based system automatically generates GLSL (the lowest level realistically cross-platform gpu instructions, a cornerstone of OpenGL ES 2.0 programming) source code to render the interface as needed. This code is submitted to the GPU for some hardware accelerated rendering goodness.

This system is designed to work on devices that supports OpenGL ES 2.0, which happens to be a possibility as of Eclair, and a requirement as of Android Froyo. Froyo. Hardware rendering would actually be a break for most devices these days, compared to the CPU-eating mostly software rendering that goes on now.

Edit: I confused the requirement vs the compatibility.

Last edited:
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I sincerely hope I can disable my capacitive keys Ib my EVO 3D and go with the soft keys. I hate them they always get in the way! But I also really truly hope that you can ,like, swipe up on the bottom of the screen in any app to pull up the software keys. Does honeycomb do this? Is the bottom status bar always there even in fullscreen video?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I sincerely hope I can disable my capacitive keys Ib my EVO 3D and go with the soft keys. I hate them they always get in the way! But I also really truly hope that you can ,like, swipe up on the bottom of the screen in any app to pull up the software keys. Does honeycomb do this? Is the bottom status bar always there even in fullscreen video?

Yes the status bar always there even in full screen video. It's actually not that detracting from the experience as the keys actually fade to little dots and if you want to go back you just tap the screen and they come back.

I don't know about disabling the capacitive keys it would be a waste of screen real estate to have soft navigation keys in addition to your existing ones. The only thing I could see is if they do a hidden task bar type thing like Windows.

Lunar

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I think what they mean when they said RIM stole multi-tasking from Palm, is the card multi-tasking on the playbook, which was a pretty blatant copy. Also, I must agree, webOS had by far the best multi-tasking.

Also, hardware acceleration should be relatively easy as long as the GPU in the phone supports OpenGL ES like hedonism said. That's the great thing about API's. Makes coding for multiple types of hardware much easier.

Last edited:

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
If you have a rooted device you will see ICS pretty quickly, if you have good Developer support.

If you've had your device awhile and haven't had issues with the hardware, I would definitely recommend rooting.

Word of advice, "KEEP PHONE INSURANCE".

Traxion

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Do people just forget about Windows Mobile which was multi-tasking and doing most everything else way before Web OS, iPhone, and Android was even a thought.

If you want to call "open, open, crash" multitasking... It was so crippled that most people I knew with pre phone 7 wished it didnt multitask, so they didnt have to reboot their phone 15 times a day.

a.d.am

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Im hoping that my nexus s 4g has ICS ready to DL the day of the launch. I think that would make me happy for a little bit. Although once my GF gets the nexus prime Ill have nexus envy, thats a real disease, look it up.....

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
People, god knows why any of you are speaking of the iPhone but all of you talking about "multi-tasking" are wrong, notice how i paranthesized "multi-tasking", that's because it is NOT actual multi-tasking, iphone (all of them 3GS and after) have pseudo-multitasking, it merely freezes a task when going to another and then unfreezes it when you return, both items never actually run at the same time (i.e true multitasking) WE, The android owners are still the only ones that have REAL multitasking.

Srsly though, who cares? ICS is gonna blow iCandy out of the water, it's not like we are not already surpassing it constantly as it is :)

ICS might be better, but you aren't going to know for 8-10 months. That seems to be about the time it takes Android OS to actually make it to a majority of devices. By which time iOS will have an updated version or 3 running on most all of it's devices.

As far as your description of multi-tasking on iOS you are partly right. Apple doesn't allow all apps to multi-task, but voip, gps and music multi-task just fine (I thought there another type but I don't remember what it is). Which is better then just letting any and all apps run wild in the background IMO.

Last edited:

TheNicky2031

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
People, god knows why any of you are speaking of the iPhone but all of you talking about "multi-tasking" are wrong, notice how i paranthesized "multi-tasking", that's because it is NOT actual multi-tasking, iphone (all of them 3GS and after) have pseudo-multitasking, it merely freezes a task when going to another and then unfreezes it when you return, both items never actually run at the same time (i.e true multitasking) WE, The android owners are still the only ones that have REAL multitasking.

Srsly though, who cares? ICS is gonna blow iCandy out of the water, it's not like we are not already surpassing it constantly as it is :)

I love your enthusiasm, but you didn't use parenthesis, those are quotes lol

conchchowder

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

conchchowder

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
"Wrong. Blackberry has real multitasking, better than Android in my opinion."

BlackBerry Outage Hits Europe, Middle East, Africa

Yeah. I want my email/service on someone's central server...and half of my device covered by buttons. Yeah. sweet. not

Um sorry to add this little bit of news for the Crackberry Addicts..

"BlackBerry Issues Spread to U.S. as Millions Are Cut Off Worldwide"

Read more: BlackBerry Issues Spread To U.S. As Millions Are Cut Off Worldwide | Fox News

Better than Android? lol Try multitasking when your unit is down because of a major design flaw.

Can't WAIT for the world to stop when the iCloud evaporates. THAT will be an "I told you so" moment!

mrjackson#CB

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
BES has nothing to do with multi-tasking. And I never said Blackberry is better than Android, only that the multi-tasking part is.

How many of you use gmail and google chat and google voice on your phones? What happens when Google has a meltdown (unlikely but it could happen)? The same thing that happens when BES goes down.

Android fanboys are almost worse than apple ones...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke