ICS "facetime"

bxborn31

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I switched from an iPhone 4 to come over to android and my GS2. love the phone. I dont hate iPhones or iOS but the one feature i HOPE ICS implements is some type of facetime where we dont need a dedicated app to video chat with other android phones running ICS. Anyone think they will integrate it? Or have you read anything about it?

SanGo

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Not sure I understand, as I've never had an iPhone. Isn't Facetime essentially a "dedicated app" for video chat?

In any case, Google Talk, which comes standard on Android phones, supports video chat as of 2.3.4. No reason to think it would be any different in ICS.

bxborn31

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Not sure I understand, as I've never had an iPhone. Isn't Facetime essentially a "dedicated app" for video chat?

In any case, Google Talk, which comes standard on Android phones, supports video chat as of 2.3.4. No reason to think it would be any different in ICS.

facetime on the iPhone isnt an app. all my brothers have iPhones so if i wanted to facetime with them i just open their contact and i can call, text or facetime. i can even save them as a favorite to call or to facetime. its automatic once i click facetime option (not an app) it will call them to video chat. so you dont have to worry about anyone being signed on to google talk. it just knows that that particular # is an iphone and you can facetime them. so far i have used google talk and skype and both work great. I remember steve jobs saying he was going to keep facetime as an open source or something so other companies can make apps to use with facetime. that would be awesome too.

fnair

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
facetime on the iPhone isnt an app. all my brothers have iPhones so if i wanted to facetime with them i just open their contact and i can call, text or facetime. i can even save them as a favorite to call or to facetime. its automatic once i click facetime option (not an app) it will call them to video chat. so you dont have to worry about anyone being signed on to google talk. it just knows that that particular # is an iphone and you can facetime them. so far i have used google talk and skype and both work great. I remember steve jobs saying he was going to keep facetime as an open source or something so other companies can make apps to use with facetime. that would be awesome too.

As of Android 2.3.4 Google Talk lets you video conference the same way you are describing here i.e. open your contacts and in the person's profile you have the option to start a chat without starting gtalk separately. This feature is also part of Honeycomb, so this will be included in ICS for sure, as it is already available in the latest versions of both Honeycomb AND Gingerbread.

I also have a SGSII, which I love, but also on 2.3.3 and this is one of the reasons I am looking forward to an update (be it to >=2.3.4, in the short term, or ICS later down the line). I know I could just flash my phone with a ROM with 2.3.4, but for the moment I'm patient enough to wait and leave it stock.

bxborn31

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
As of Android 2.3.4 Google Talk lets you video conference the same way you are describing here i.e. open your contacts and in the person's profile you have the option to start a chat without starting gtalk separately. This feature is also part of Honeycomb, so this will be included in ICS for sure, as it is already available in the latest versions of both Honeycomb AND Gingerbread.

I also have a SGSII, which I love, but also on 2.3.3 and this is one of the reasons I am looking forward to an update (be it to >=2.3.4, in the short term, or ICS later down the line). I know I could just flash my phone with a ROM with 2.3.4, but for the moment I'm patient enough to wait and leave it stock.

im in my contact now and the only options i see is

phone to call
email
joined contacts
other - groups, ringtone , addresses

i dont see anywhere to start any type of chat. do i have to already be logged into google tak for the chat option to appear.?

sent by Megatron using Tapatalk

bxborn31

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
ok i see what you mean. i guess thatll work for now since its integrated with your email address. it would be cool if it recoginized your cell # as being an android phone and could invite you to video chat without having ot be logged on to anything. but i see now

PS - does google chat video NOT work for the my touch 4g slide? i tried to chat from my SGS2 to my GFs MT4GS but she said she had no video option. that sucks it its true and then well have to use qik or skype. boo.

mastawyrm

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
This isn't like facetime though where it has to be a certain phone. Google chat video works for anyone on google chat whether they're on a phone, tablet, computer, whatever.

bxborn31

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
This isn't like facetime though where it has to be a certain phone. Google chat video works for anyone on google chat whether they're on a phone, tablet, computer, whatever.

That I know but I still think it would be cool because the person would never have to be logged on. I Google chatted on my iPhone 4 but facetime was awesome. Oh well.

Sent from my Samsung galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

mastawyrm

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
That I know but I still think it would be cool because the person would never have to be logged on. I Google chatted on my iPhone 4 but facetime was awesome. Oh well.

Sent from my Samsung galaxy S2 using Tapatalk
Well in order for the facetime to be able to call another phone, the recieving phone would HAVE to be running some kind of service so I don't really see how it's different. I don't recall seeing a video option in contacts but normally there is a dot showing whether or not that person is on gchat.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I remember steve jobs saying he was going to keep facetime as an open source or something so other companies can make apps to use with facetime. that would be awesome too.

Facetime never was, nor will be open sourced. Jobs said that apple would make it an available service to everyone. That, unfortunately, never happened.

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
just use skype lol

or fring, or TANGO, or ooVoo,... but skype works well, and as mentioned above, it doesnt (just like google talk video) have to be with any particular device or android phone.

Welcome to Android.... haha.. where you can video chat with more than just other people that happen to own the same phone as you... novel right? ;) Good luck and nice choice in your phone!!

KevinMXoom

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I like not always being available to video chat thank you very much. I don't even like when people voice call me. The rare times I video chat, it usually starts with a text. If people started unexpectedly video calling me I would not be pleased.

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Again, the entire point of this thread is asking if ICS will have video chat without having to force your friends to download and sign up for an app, then making sure they log into it constantly

i think the fact that you DONT have to do that and its ONLY available to other iphones is the lamest thing ever! No, you dont have to "force" your friends to download an app (cause thats difficult) you just have to "force" them to have an iphone.

Agreed, that video chat should be more integrated into ICS and it most likel;y will, but facetime missed the boat IMO.

bxborn31

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Well to be fair on an iphone you can skype and google chat as well as facetime so your not forced to have an iphone. I just think face time is one of the only things apple has as a feature that is better than android. I will probably end up using skype more to video with my father and brother who both have iphone 4s. Unless i just buy an ipod touch lol.

bxborn31

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
And one thing thats annoying is that talk video doesnt work on my lady friends my touch 4g slide. Wtf. I hope ICS clears all this up and makes android seamless

mgiusto

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Well to be fair on an iphone you can skype and google chat as well as facetime so your not forced to have an iphone. I just think face time is one of the only things apple has as a feature that is better than android. I will probably end up using skype more to video with my father and brother who both have iphone 4s. Unless i just buy an ipod touch lol.

Doesn't your iPhone friend have to be on WiFi to video chat???
With Gtalk they can be on 3G/4G or WiFi

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz