ICS is ugly. There I said it.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I really like the look of ICS. I do wish some of the icons were a little more...mature looking. The messaging app looks so out of place, in my opinion. Other than that, though, I am really looking forward to getting my Galaxy Nexus.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
ICS - U-G-L-Y, you aint got no alabi, you UGLY!

I don't get why everyone is raving about Android's new look. I don't like the blue icons. The disproportionate app drawer icon is especially ugly. The whole thing just looks unfinished. I was really hoping for a graphics upgrade, but this is the wrong direction. GB was much better asthetically imho.

I got a nexus because I saw potential for android after gb and after matias duarte got on board, and wanted to be one of the first to try out ics.

Now, I wish I had bought an evo3d. ill prob stay on MIUI and use my webos theme for now.

just disapointing. I miss webos.

brave man to utter these words..

I agree with you somewhat tho.. It does look unfinished from everything I've seen.. call me crazy but I'm actually looking forward to seeing what it looks like Blur'd as opposed to how it looks now.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
We all have our opinions. I think it looks ok. Just wait for the theming ;)

I think the majority feeling is exactly that -- it's "ok." I don't mean that in a negative way, I mean that as the "there's nothing really wrong with it" meaning of "it's ok." ("Immature" icon appearances aside.) It seems there were many expectations of a much more "polished" feeling than what has been seen so far in ICS, at least as far as the UX is concerned.

Much of the design work I do is focused around haptic UX. I'm not anywhere near the point of complaining about ICS, but I agree with some of the comments in this thread. I was hoping for a little bit more.

Edit: Forgot to say that I'm very much looking forward to the results of developer theming as well.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I think the majority feeling is exactly that -- it's "ok." I don't mean that in a negative way, I mean that as the "there's nothing really wrong with it" meaning of "it's ok." ("Immature" icon appearances aside.) It seems there were many expectations of a much more "polished" feeling than what has been seen so far in ICS, at least as far as the UX is concerned.

Much of the design work I do is focused around haptic UX. I'm not anywhere near the point of complaining about ICS, but I agree with some of the comments in this thread. I was hoping for a little bit more.

Edit: Forgot to say that I'm very much looking forward to the results of developer theming as well.

Well remember they said they kept some things out for Jellybean version? I think it is a step in the right direction and looks much better than gb did. But to each their own I guess.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Well remember they said they kept some things out for Jellybean version? I think it is a step in the right direction and looks much better than gb did. But to each their own I guess.

I don't disagree. And yes, I do realize they have left "several game-changing features" for the next major release. My purpose in pointing this all out is that, with everything going on right now in terms of mobile operating systems, Google could have gained an extra leg up if they had pushed all of the UX/UI enhancements forward to ICS.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't disagree. And yes, I do realize they have left "several game-changing features" for the next major release. My purpose in pointing this all out is that, with everything going on right now in terms of mobile operating systems, Google could have gained an extra leg up if they had pushed all of the UX/UI enhancements forward to ICS.

Well if they would have it would not have been ready now which was one of the reasons they left some of it out. Look at people complaining as it is it is taking too long. If they would have added everything you wanted that would be more months people would have to wait.

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Google took what people liked in WebOS, iOS, WP7, and Android ( possibly BBM) and put it into ICS. I like it. It makes a nice transition for those who want to make the switch to Android but aren't sure about it. But a love Android OS, so eh.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

brainimpact

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I really like the look of stock ICS
its not fair to judge it yet, not seen how it will be when OEM's add there customization and when hackers start theming it.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've found the vanilla flavor of all Android versions to be rather unsightly, so ICS is no surprise to me. That's what we have themes and replacement launchers for.

subcirrus

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
What do you look for in "good" design?

Are there any other degrees of description between beautiful and ugly or do you always speak in extremes?

Is the whole thing in every way worse than GB?

For example do you prefer the white search bar widget in GB? It seems to me that a great deal of time was spent removing unnecessary "visual noise" from the ui. Clearly they have a least succeeded at that, no?

philbw

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Having used the ICS sdk port on my Nexus S for about a week and a half I have to say ICS is all about the look AND feel. If it were a new car i'd agree that there are a few others that look better in the pictures. But when actually driven it blows everything else out of the water. I had to go back to GB for a few key things not in the SDK port (like bluetooth) and it was like taking a huge step backwards.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm