Do you think the first quad-core phone will have ICS?

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing phones take many months to produce, so I wonder if the first quad-core will likely come with capacitive buttons and no ICS. It would probably determine whether I wait or get the Galaxy Nexus.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
It should be the standard since Quad-core isn't coming to cell phones until like Q3 or Q4 of 2012. So I'm guessing they will have ICS, given the fact they have a lot of time to get them to the latest OS version.

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
My based on nothing guess is that quad-core support will come in the next version of Android - Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookie.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
And what makes you think they're coming Q3 or Q4 of 2012?

Because Nvidia announced their Kal-El chip recently. It takes a good year for those chips to be put into commercial use, let alone, phones. I think we will be seeing quad-core tablets in Q2 2012. But why would you want quad-core? The leap from dual-core to quad-core isn't near as big of a leap as single-core to dual-core was.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Aren't the first quad-core tablets coming out already in the next few month? Unless I'm remembering wrong, the Transformer Prime has a quadcore Kal-El chip. Maybe phones won't be as far behind?

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Because Nvidia announced their Kal-El chip recently. It takes a good year for those chips to be put into commercial use, let alone, phones. I think we will be seeing quad-core tablets in Q2 2012. But why would you want quad-core? The leap from dual-core to quad-core isn't near as big of a leap as single-core to dual-core was.

The force tells me Q1.

pmugghc

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

The Asus Transformer Prime tablet is coming out next month with quad core.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay yeah, I just looked up the Transformer Prime Tablet and it is coming out next month. I think I've been sort of out of the loop about quad-cores :) Sorry for the confusion. But I still stick to my point that quad-cores aren't a vast improvement over dual-cores.

cheburashka

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Okay yeah, I just looked up the Transformer Prime Tablet and it is coming out next month. I think I've been sort of out of the loop about quad-cores :) Sorry for the confusion. But I still stick to my point that quad-cores aren't a vast improvement over dual-cores.

well, i wouldnt put it in exactly that way... i would agree that UX-wise it probably will not be a noticeable difference since UI is already butter-smooth with dual core, and 4 would just be overkill. i may be wrong but i highly doubt that at this time (or very near future) there exist such games/apps that would really *need* quad core because 1.5GHz dual core cant handle it well. however spec-sheet and benchmark-wise im sure it will make a difference though. :-[

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what app would require the use of a quad core CPU? I'm not against it but wonder how it will be sold to us...

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what app would require the use of a quad core CPU? I'm not against it but wonder how it will be sold to us...

That is a valid question; however, I'm thinking more in terms of hardware longevity. I would hope that a phone with a quadcore processor would have a longer lifespan (in terms of handling new OS updates and software) when compared to single- or dual-core phones. Of course, at the rate things are changing, it can still be a toss up! LOL

ChillFactorz

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I really hope the manufactures stay away from quad-core phones, at least for a little while. We really don't need them, in a phone right now. Let's play catch up in other areas first Software, Battery, GPU, and so on.

Now for tablets quad-cores can open the doors to more PC/Laptop type software. This would give tablets a better chance to ween users off of the laptop.

In closing, my opinion is Manufacturer are playing first to market and rushing things, a little too much. Just like the internet "press" and bloggers, who have saturated the market with inferior products. I would like Google and the Manufactures to release some kind of pre release info, source code, specs to potential Devs, After Market Manufactures and what not. I would assume this could give us a better experience on release day for device specific Games, Apps, Docks, Cases. All these added extras on release day will create more sales and give the end user a happier and positive experience. The end result would be better brand recognition. I'm thinking certain devices that started with a Fail, could have gone a different way. I understand that some of this is going on already, but I would like to see a lot more of it, that and a lot less buggy release day devices.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
well, i wouldnt put it in exactly that way... i would agree that UX-wise it probably will not be a noticeable difference since UI is already butter-smooth with dual core, and 4 would just be overkill. i may be wrong but i highly doubt that at this time (or very near future) there exist such games/apps that would really *need* quad core because 1.5GHz dual core cant handle it well. however spec-sheet and benchmark-wise im sure it will make a difference though. :-[

Yeah, that's what I meant to say. Benchmarks are benchmarks, and nothing more. It does give you an idea of how powerful your device is but in a very 'broad' way (benchmarks aren't pinpoint accurate and just tell you the general performance of the phone).

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
That is a valid question; however, I'm thinking more in terms of hardware longevity. I would hope that a phone with a quadcore processor would have a longer lifespan (in terms of handling new OS updates and software) when compared to single- or dual-core phones. Of course, at the rate things are changing, it can still be a toss up! LOL

I guess that is the only selling point, at this point. The assurance of being able to handle future updates with ease.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I really hope the manufactures stay away from quad-core phones, at least for a little while. We really don't need them, in a phone right now. Let's play catch up in other areas first Software, Battery, GPU, and so on.

Now for tablets quad-cores can open the doors to more PC/Laptop type software. This would give tablets a better chance to ween users off of the laptop.

In closing, my opinion is Manufacturer are playing first to market and rushing things, a little too much. Just like the internet "press" and bloggers, who have saturated the market with inferior products. I would like Google and the Manufactures to release some kind of pre release info, source code, specs to potential Devs, After Market Manufactures and what not. I would assume this could give us a better experience on release day for device specific Games, Apps, Docks, Cases. All these added extras on release day will create more sales and give the end user a happier and positive experience. The end result would be better brand recognition. I'm thinking certain devices that started with a Fail, could have gone a different way. I understand that some of this is going on already, but I would like to see a lot more of it, that and a lot less buggy release day devices.

That's what I think too. Instead of jumping to quad-core right when we got onto dual-core, why don't we develop more onto the dual-core technology? Was dual-core like an emergency landing for quad-core as Honeycomb was to ICS?

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Agreed. I'd much rather see ARM focus on fewer, more powerful cores rather than relying on Fabricators to cram as many cores onto the die as they can.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah and then once we get those cores more powerful, THEN we can go to quad-core and implement them there!

More powerful dual cores would provide much more real world benifit than adding more cores. Any piece of software can take advantage of more powerful cores, that is not true when adding cores. Intel's quad core i5-2500k out performs amd's 8 core bulldozers in most tasks despite a similar clock speed. This is because Intel focused on improving per core performance rather than trying to cram more cores in.

I hate seeing arm follow the same path as amd because on a mobile device more cores is even less important because unlike the desktop you can only have one active task at a time.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
More powerful dual cores would provide much more real world benifit than adding more cores. Any piece of software can take advantage of more powerful cores, that is not true when adding cores. Intel's quad core i5-2500k out performs amd's 8 core bulldozers in most tasks despite a similar clock speed. This is because Intel focused on improving per core performance rather than trying to cram more cores in.

I hate seeing arm follow the same path as amd because on a mobile device more cores is even less important because unlike the desktop you can only have one active task at a time.

Exactly, and at this point, the only benefit of adding more cores is that things will be somewhat smoother when there are more things open, but even then, it's not much of an improvement. Although, I've heard of plans of CPU companies making dual-core chips with 2 other cores that are low-powered and are used when the device is in sleep mode, thus making the battery consumption more efficient.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad