Google and updates

Paterick

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Why doesn't Google work with manufacturers during the development of Android so that when a new release comes out, we don't have to wait months or years for it? I have read that it won't be until late next year that any of the US Galaxy S2 variants will get ICS.

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Google provides the source code, and then the manufacturers put their bloatware and custom skins on top of it, and customizes the code to the hardware (with the right radio). I assume it takes months to make sure ICS + bloatware runs well on each phone.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Why doesn't Google work with manufacturers during the development of Android so that when a new release comes out, we don't have to wait months or years for it? I have read that it won't be until late next year that any of the US Galaxy S2 variants will get ICS.

I agree. I think if google really wanted to eliminate fragmentation they should work with all OEM's and then release the nexus and then have the other OEM's be able to release an update to their phones like 2-3 weeks later, giving the nexus exclusivity for a short while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton