Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By roman192
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Default Was anyone else hoping ICS would be the end of custom skins?

I for one love the look and feel of pure AOSP. I cant STAND these custom skins the all the manufacturers put on it. HTC Sense is the only decent one out there. Blur is downright awful and disorganized. It adds and screws up features already in the OS. Touchwiz is crap and so is LGs skin. Those two are trying to look like an iPhone and are too "cartooney". Honestly, every carrier has the iPhone now, so if I wanted one i would go get it!

Unfortunately i just saw this link which shows that Samsung is STILL using touchwiz which totally defeats the purpose. It doesn't look and different and still detracts from AOSP.

/end rant

Default Re: Was anyone else hoping ICS would be the end of custom skins?

I think the manfactures go way to over board on their custom skins. The froyo Motoblur was the closes to stock and least change. The new one kind of annoying.

I was hoping they would at least put more ICS features in their custom skins but it seems like Touchwiz really does not do much of it.

Default Re: Was anyone else hoping ICS would be the end of custom skins?

Yes! It saddens me as well that Samsung will go out of their way to ruin their beautiful phones with TouchWiz. The business justification for skins is to differentiate the product from the sea of other Android phones, instead of making commodities. I get it, but the problem is that these hardware companies can't do a better optimization and UI job than Google. So the consumer gets ugly, and buggy experience which in turn is responsible for slow updates.

I want them to give the consumer a choice on first boot, #1 TouchWiz with a long list of "benefits", or #2 Normal Android experience. Until that happens I will stick to Nexus devices.
    underdonk likes this.

Many many many features of our beloved vanilla android first appeared in custom skins. It's good to see different entities attempting different things, and in the end everyone wins because google can cherry pick from others work and Android becomes better.

There's a lot of downsides too, I just felt like pointing out a good effect that custom skins has had on Android.

I don't mind the existence of skins so much as the fact that they tend to make updates take longer.

Touchwiz is pretty good. It has some good features and shortcuts. The downside is that it isn't nearly as visually appealing as ics.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Now using God's Phone

ROM
    4.0.x

I don't have a problem with the EXISTENCE of custom UIs. My issue is they can't be disabled easily. I would prefer that phone owners would be able to choose UIs easily.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts
    ROM
    Buglessbeast/Stock

I knew skins would be around still, but I had hope that Google had come up with a Theme Engine-like solution. I hope soon they come up with a way for OEMs to add what they want and allow consumers to hide/disable those add-ons. And with a, theme engine, could be easier to update devices

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    So many phones, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by EggoEspada View Post
    I knew skins would be around still, but I had hope that Google had come up with a Theme Engine-like solution. I hope soon they come up with a way for OEMs to add what they want and allow consumers to hide/disable those add-ons. And with a, theme engine, could be easier to update devices

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Good idea! Winamp used this theory and gained huge popularity because of it. Then AOL ruined it, but that's besides the point.

I love skins, but give us a choice. And if you make a skin...update it manufacturers!!! I'm looking at you HTC!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk