Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default US unlocked GS2 (I9100) ICS Upgrade Available!

Hey Folks,

I'm a newbie and hadn't seen anything on any of the tech blogs, so I'm posting the info here.

I just updated my and my wife's unlocked GS2 (I9100) to ICS via Kies.

Here's what the new "About Phone" info looks like:

Model Number
    GT-I9100

Android Version

Baseband version
    I9100XXLPQ

Kernal Version
    3.0.15-I9100XXLPQ-CL223505
    se.infra@SEP-94 #3

Build Number
    IML74K.XXLPQ

Good Luck!

Quick note: upgrade does reset your homepages to factory (and app pages), so it took a while to rearrange apps and widgets.
    Last edited by layout98; 04-01-2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Verifying this is not an April Fools Joke

Oh, boy! Thanks. I had given up hope and stopped checking. I'm on my way. How did you find it?

Quote Originally Posted by layout98 View Post
    Hey Folks,

I'm a newbie and hadn't seen anything on any of the tech blogs, so I'm posting the info here.

I just updated my and my wife's unlocked GS2 (I9100) to ICS via Kies.

Here's what the new "About Phone" info looks like:

Model Number
    GT-I9100

Android Version

Baseband version
    I9100XXLPQ

Kernal Version
    3.0.15-I9100XXLPQ-CL223505
    se.infra@SEP-94 #3

Build Number
    IML74K.XXLPQ

Good Luck!

Quick note: upgrade does reset your homepages to factory (and app pages), so it took a while to rearrange apps and widgets.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: US unlocked GS2 (I9100) ICS Upgrade Available!

Quote Originally Posted by sfrrr View Post
    How did you find it?
    Quite honestly, boredom and dumb luck. I had read that ICS was hitting Central Europe two weeks ago and then UK last week. So I made sure I was up to date on Kies and when I plugged the phone in, I was offered the update.

If you're asking about first impressions, I'd have to agree with many of the early preview articles which say that it feels more like an iterative upgrade because of the heavily skinned touchwiz overlay.

But on the upside, it feels faster and cleaner with the improved fonts (I could tell in between upgrades comparing my wife's phone to the updated phone.)

Face unlock is fun to tease all of my iOS friends with.

I am also seeing improved battery life. All in all thumbs up if you're ok with touchwiz.

Has anyone else out there gotten the upgrade?

I think it's kinda odd that it's been two days and no one else has said anything.

Where abouts in Kies are you seeing this upgrade? Under basic info, I've always seen the message "Your phone does not support software upgrading via Kies" I have a Sprint Epic 4G Touch if that makes a difference... I have not flashed it or anything like that either, as I'm waiting for an official release. Is there a workaround this firmware "lock"?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

mwmorais,

Unfortunately, this update is currently only available for the unlocked GSM GS2 (international version). Since you're on Sprint your phone is carrier-locked to only work on Sprint's network (which also CDMA).

I've read that the US Carrier locked versions will probably have to wait until each carrier certifies the update for their network (Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mo).

Sorry.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Just got an OTA update. (Nice because no Sammy account required anymore).

Details (that are new)
    Baseband version
    I9100XXLPS

Kernel version
    3.0.15-I9100XXLPS-CL294511
    se.infra@SEP-68 #3

Build number
    IML74K.XXLPS