Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Johnly
  • 1 Post By Laughing Man
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why does Google have such poor follow-through?

I love Android. I've been using it for two years now and I think Google has finally hit a homerun with ICS. It no longer needs OEM skins and really shines as a great OS.
    However, one thing I'm getting fed up with is Google's lack of follow-through when it comes to anything they announce. Let's look at a few things:

- Google Wallet. One of the absolute coolest features my Nexus has, but in order to actually download the app on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus I had to do some funky trick because it's not officially supported. Why is Wallet only available on one (or two?) phone(s) on one of the smallest carriers in the US? Why does it still not even have Visa support? Why, at the absolute very least, does it not even allow auto-replenishment of the prepaid card?

- Android @ Home. What ever happened to it? It was announced at Google I/O 2011 and we haven't heard a peep about it yet. It's such an awesome idea, but Google hasn't done anything with it yet besides talking about it a year ago.

- Android Update Alliance. Also announced at Google I/O, this has gotten about as much play as Android@Home did. We have yet to see anything else about this, and some of the OEMs that were part of this "Alliance" are already bowing out of updating recent phones. Does Google seriously not have enough pull on these manufacturers to make them stick to their word?

- And most importantly... Motorola. When Google announced they were buying Moto, I immediately thought "This is it!" In addition to Google now having their patents, Google could now release flagship phones that have the latest version of stock Android, with the best hardware and screens, all NFC-equipped with things like Wallet installed. People said this would hurt other OEMs, but couldn't Google use their words against them? If HTC, Samsung, etc, really believe that their skins and customizations make Android better, then surely people would still flock to them instead of Google/Moto, right? Yet now we're seeing that Google has no intention of directly running Motorola and is even looking to sell off its hardware division without even trying to make devices first.

It's getting to the point where I have to stop myself from getting excited about new features announced for Android because they'll never see any follow-up. Even the smallest things - in ICS, Matias Duarte showed off the high quality pictures in ICS' People app. Yet when you sync your contacts to Google, you get incredibly low-res images that look horrible. ICS has been announced for over 6 months now and how is that feature still not fixed?

I'm just ranting here I know - I'm just ranting because I've seen so many promising ideas come out of Google yet almost none of them have any refinement to it. I really hope this was going to turn around when Page took over, but I haven't seen any improvement on it at all and it's getting extremely discouraging.
    Slink
    Follow me on Twitter!

Global Posts
    1,441 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Default Re: Why does Google have such poor follow-through?

The one thing that I will chime in on was the buyout of Motorola Mobility. Everyday knew Google's intention of buying them. It wasn't about becoming a hardware maker. It was about gaining all of Moto's patents. Then once that was done, they would cast them off. Which we are now hearing rumors about.
    Last edited by splmonster; 04-15-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,174 Global Posts

Did you post the exact same thing in the Verge forums?
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,174 Global Posts

Google Wallet: it's a carrier issue. Plain and simple.

Android @Home: still too early.

Motorola: the deal isn't even done yet.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,174 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slinky317 View Post
    If HTC, Samsung, etc, really believe that their skins and customizations make Android better, then surely people would still flock to them instead of Google/Moto, right?
    Doesn't Samsung sells more Android devices than anyone else? And how many of them ship without TouchWiz?

Also:
    Android Update Alliance: a bunch of phones are getting updated to ICS.

I love Android. I've been using it for two years now and I think Google has finally hit a homerun with ICS. It no longer needs OEM skins and really shines as a great OS.
    However, one thing I'm getting fed up with is Google's lack of follow-through when it comes to anything they announce. Let's look at a few things:

- Google Wallet. One of the absolute coolest features my Nexus has, but in order to actually download the app on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus I had to do some funky trick because it's not officially supported. Why is Wallet only available on one (or two?) phone(s) on one of the smallest carriers in the US? Why does it still not even have Visa support? Why, at the absolute very least, does it not even allow auto-replenishment of the prepaid card?

- Android @ Home. What ever happened to it? It was announced at Google I/O 2011 and we haven't heard a peep about it yet. It's such an awesome idea, but Google hasn't done anything with it yet besides talking about it a year ago.

- Android Update Alliance. Also announced at Google I/O, this has gotten about as much play as Android@Home did. We have yet to see anything else about this, and some of the OEMs that were part of this "Alliance" are already bowing out of updating recent phones. Does Google seriously not have enough pull on these manufacturers to make them stick to their word?

- And most importantly... Motorola. When Google announced they were buying Moto, I immediately thought "This is it!" In addition to Google now having their patents, Google could now release flagship phones that have the latest version of stock Android, with the best hardware and screens, all NFC-equipped with things like Wallet installed. People said this would hurt other OEMs, but couldn't Google use their words against them? If HTC, Samsung, etc, really believe that their skins and customizations make Android better, then surely people would still flock to them instead of Google/Moto, right? Yet now we're seeing that Google has no intention of directly running Motorola and is even looking to sell off its hardware division without even trying to make devices first.

It's getting to the point where I have to stop myself from getting excited about new features announced for Android because they'll never see any follow-up. Even the smallest things - in ICS, Matias Duarte showed off the high quality pictures in ICS' People app. Yet when you sync your contacts to Google, you get incredibly low-res images that look horrible. ICS has been announced for over 6 months now and how is that feature still not fixed?

I'm just ranting here I know - I'm just ranting because I've seen so many promising ideas come out of Google yet almost none of them have any refinement to it. I really hope this was going to turn around when Page took over, but I haven't seen any improvement on it at all and it's getting extremely discouraging.
    Regarding Wallet on Verizon it's because Verizon won't allow it, because Verizon is joining ISUS (is that spelled right) which is another digital wallet type system.

Global Posts
    10,396 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Talking Re: Why does Google have such poor follow-through?

It is a hardware game bro...silicon...we need to unite on the software front or dissipate...
    Thanked by:
    A-android-B likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,174 Global Posts

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Did you post the exact same thing in the Verge forums?
    I did, I just wanted to get a discussion going. Wasn't sure where the best place was to post it, so I figured I'd post it here and on the Verge (as well as r/android).
    Slink
    Follow me on Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar10301 View Post
    Regarding Wallet on Verizon it's because Verizon won't allow it, because Verizon is joining ISUS (is that spelled right) which is another digital wallet type system.
    It's ISIS like in Archer :-P
    Rizz1-2 likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,174 Global Posts

Be patient.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

IMHO, Honeycomb was incomplete on release with the XOOM. In fact, SDcard support in Honeycomb was never fully realized. You can add that to the list of projects with poor follow-through.

And look at Google Docs. That's been around for years. Why is that not more capable? I'd place it at about a quarter as useful for presentations as PowerPoint. I'd think it would/could be a lot more competitive by now. Imagine the numbers of users (all looking at ads) they'd have if it were.

Google is active on so many fronts... too many. The poor follow-through is proof there are too many.

IMHO, the company has been living on half-realized promises for too long. It's going to catch up to them.

Thank G-d they got ICS right! We finally have an Android platform for tablets too!

Software and services are not nearly as easy as you believe to develop. Plus they are getting push back from the carriers who have more power than you might imagine.

Has Google stretched too far? Perhaps, but think how upset you'd be if your choices were RIM, iOS or Windows phone 6. Because Windows phone 7 would not exist if Google hadn't come along and caused such a stir.

Quote Originally Posted by Maikai.Guy View Post

Google is active on so many fronts... too many. The poor follow-through is proof there are too many.

IMHO, the company has been living on half-realized promises for too long. It's going to catch up to them.
    Think your onto something there. Two mindsets of technology out there... Do a few things really well or do many things just OK. Guess which methodology is Google and Apple?

Both work to stack that paper but only one works to make a device and ecosystem iconic.

Still prefer Android but still, needs to do better.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE- > HTC Evo / BB Bold > Nexus S 4G

Global Posts
    3,077 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock on all

That is because Google has too much autonomy, with the large volume of projects going, and the natural fact that they often overlook features that the customers should get in the first place gets compounded with the scarcity of time.