Gmail App in ICS - 3 Complaints

bejackso

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
So I just got the Samsung Galaxy S3 (great phone) with ICS (never had ICS before). I've got one major complaint and two minor complaints:

MAJOR: has the default interface been changed to where the sender of the email message is in large font, the subject of the email message is in smaller font underneath, and the preview of the email is in even smaller font underneath that? does anyone else think this is completely backwards? the SUBJECT of the email should be the big bold font, not who sent it. in my case (and probably a lot of other people too) you get a lot of emails from the same people - this is precisely why the subject should be the distinguishing feature, not the person who sent it. terrible change - is there anyway to revert to the look from the froyo app? (im guessing no)

MINOR:
1. anyone else think when replying to an email on the reply screen, its kind of jumbled up top as to where you're actually typing, and what button actually sends the email? i struggled with this for literally like 2 minutes the first time i ever replied to an email. not a good UI imo.
2. is there anyway to customize colors in gmail? i'd like a black background with white text. you think eventually there would be this option.

/rant

if there are any solutions/skins/ways around these problems with root, please post and let me know

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
The interface is just that much sexier. It justifies the minor loss in functionality. And makes up in functionality elsewhere.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
a true complaint that i can state is that every time i open any email within gmail, its never sized properly to fit the screen, i have to drag my finger across the screen to view the email from left to right and if i go too far, itll open the next email (as if ur swiping it)

if anyone can tell me how to fix that?? or if thats just a poor developed gmail app

bejackso

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
a true complaint that i can state is that every time i open any email within gmail, its never sized properly to fit the screen, i have to drag my finger across the screen to view the email from left to right and if i go too far, itll open the next email (as if ur swiping it)

i cant speak to that as i havent encountered that problem. im still mystified by the sender/subject font size reversal. to me this is a huge error.......i dont understand the reasoning for this whatsoever.

dabbber

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I completely agree - this swapping of subject with people is idiotic. The people are duplicated on lots of my emails, but the subjects are not. How do we undo this stupidity?

BB_trucker

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I had to upgrade my android from 2.3 to 4.0 because I had my phone replaced and it was already upgraded. I absolutely HATE Gmail in this new ICS. It totally blows and I told them with the feedback link. I don't like that you are now forced to use a small default font and must zoom in. Even with zoom, it's not very legible. I liked how you could choose a larger font in settings before.Not cool. I am starting to think I may need to switch mail clients, but now I need to find one with push.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
@BBtrucker.....actually the last update made it wonderful. it fixed the issue i was complaining about. all emails fit to screen perfectly and can pinch to zoom if wanted. you actually have to turn the setting on when youre in the app.